Import used equipment at your own risk

prem

Thought i would share my latest experience with the customs. Since i was going on a holiday for 2 weeks, i decided to get my two PCBs in my EMT table serviced. I usually do preventive maintenance. The two PCBs were sent to Germany. When they were shipped back through courier, customs refused to clear it saying it was used electronics and that it was banned. Sent them a lot of papers but they refused to clear it. Apparently banned items are not even sent back. They are destroyed. I had kind of given up hope and written off my table. As a last measure i sent them pictures and explained how the table had sentimental value. That clicked and my PCBs were cleared. So i guess i lucked out.

Apparently customs has become very very strict with respect to used electronics. Sometime back i was planning to get the EMT 950 but abandoned the idea as three custom agents warned me saying its kind of impossible to get them cleared. Now after my experience with the PCBs am i glad i didn't order the 950:)

So guys be very careful when you are importing used electronics.

Thats what they get paid for.... harassing ordinary people whereas the Netas and Terrorists get a free hand in importing "anything" they want.
BTW I did not know that EMT 950 is still manufactured.

No the 950 is not manufactured. I was planning to get a refurbished one from Germany

In way I guess it's good the custom rules are being abided by. All this tightening at the customs has started in the last 4 months. As long as they are consistent its fine

Prem, thanks for this useful information.
Any idea how the customs treat demo items which come at a substantial discount.
If they are not treated as used, will they apply duty on discounted price or sticker price?

Prem, thanks for this useful information.
Any idea how the customs treat demo items which come at a substantial discount.
If they are not treated as used, will they apply duty on discounted price or sticker price?

I think for import for personal use , they will never accept its a demo piece so price is less. Infact they would not even consider a dealer giving you a hefty discount

They will just go by the price if its on the company website or any popular site which sells the product

Its pretty hard to convince them unless and until you know how to pull some strings. I am sure how much ever strict they are they will be ready to bend the rules or go totally off the rules for some politician or some wealthy person ready to thwo some money

Only thing is they are not interested in consignments worth few thousand or lacs. Thye dont want to take risks for such small amounts

Hope you got my point :)

I wonder what procedure does a dealer / distributor follow if they have to send an equipment worth few lacs for repair to the parent company

Is the receipt of paid customs enough for it to be sent and received back without any questions raised (like in the case of prem he was told used goods import is banned) or they have will be allowed but have to pay a certain duty

Will they doubt that the product is upgraded to another spec and hence has a different value so will be considered as new product? Would they be even aware of such a thing happening?

Its all very confusing when it comes to indian customs when you are importing something

Best way out is if the product is not too heavy and bulky, send it to someone you know in USA (i guess customs over there is quiet lenient) and for most of the items there is no duty charged (maybe I am wrong)

Last edited:
Yes my hunch also is that it is not worth buying demo equipment even it gets comes at a substantial discount. I had bought demo equipment in the past but with the new information from Prem I would not dare to.

I wonder what procedure does a dealer / distributor follow if they have to send an equipment worth few lacs for repair to the parent company

I believe its the concept of VAT, ie while sending it out you can do a declaration to customs and on receipt back customs on the delta value is charged when shown along with the original documents.

This is what i was told a couple of years back but not sure of it now

Last edited:
Thats what they get paid for.... harassing ordinary people whereas the Netas and Terrorists get a free hand in importing "anything" they want.
BTW I did not know that EMT 950 is still manufactured.

If it "is" still manufactured , very well Prem can get new one ...........read the thread title!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Any specific rule / notification / GR / law / amendment or it is just your speculation?

He is right . It comes under anti dumping. The rule was always there just that it is more strongly enforced as is with all rules.

Does this mean that one cannot order anything from say Audiogon or Ebay and get it shipped to India? Sometimes there are some very good items available there and I have often wondered whether one could get it from there especially considering how difficult it is to get something you want if there are no dealers in India?
I have seen some posts on the forum where people have said they bought from online sources. Could someone share their experience with such imports? Main questions are:
1. Can one buy from sites such as Audiogon or Ebay etc?
2. Is it safe to trust the shipping from a foreign country?
3. What sort of duties are applicable? (My info is around 35% for audio equipment)
4. Any specific custom procedures to be followed before or after ordering?
Tx in advance.
ckn.

if the items get thru customs ( electronic items - used ).... consider it your good luck or the courier company's good management of the issue.

This does not hold for CD's / vinyl etc.. ( imported in small quantities ) or for new items.

if a person comes on TR ( Transfer of Residence ) - then you may request him / her to get it for you. Then it is allowed legally.

buying from audiogon / ebay is your personal choice... for indian customs - what matters is not where you bought it from but is it electronic item used or not.... if used then they are at liberty to destroy it without any compensation you the importer ( you ).

If new.. then one needs to produce the invoice and pay duty on it.

regards
mpw

It comes under anti dumping. The rule was always there just that it is more strongly enforced as is with all rules.

AFAIK, 'Anti dumping duty' is a duty levied by the local Government to prevent Countries with humongous manufacturing capability from 'dumping' goods (selling at throw away prices) to stifle local manufacturing.

this will be under e-waste rule. there are a lot of people importing waste electronics goods, melting the pcbs and taking out gold silver etc... govt is trying to clamp down on it.

Thanks Prem for sharing your experience.
Now this is a worry if someone has bought electronics from abroad and needs to get repaired.e.g.Say Emotiva products under warranty fails and someone sends it back for repair.

AFAIK, 'Anti dumping duty' is a duty levied by the local Government to prevent Countries with humongous manufacturing capability from 'dumping' goods (selling at throw away prices) to stifle local manufacturing.

I may have been wrong in the name 'dumping' but I guess the idea why import of used electronic items is not encouraged is clear to the members. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back