Importance of antenna for Tuners

Many thanks to you, I got the FM Antenna from the reference you shared.

I installed the antenna today morning in my apartment terrace at 9 ft above. I am bringing down the RG6 cable to my home in ground floor (60 ft from ground level). Used Coax RG6 F type pin for the connectors.

I am getting a total of 7 channels (additional 2 channels after the antenna installation now which I couldn't get before). I am happy with its signal strength and reception.

The antenna is not true omni directional as it is advertised. I installed it in S type to have better coverage.

Getting the below channels.

- 5 channels from Coimbatore
- 1 channel from Kodaikanal FM
- 1 channel from Ooty FM

Pictures of the installed antenna below.

This antenna is expected to come back on sale in Tanotis soon.

Regards,
Sriram

I am getting 14 channels now.
  • 90.4 - Radio Kothagiri
  • 90.8 - Rathinavani FM (Rathinam Engg College) - CBE
  • 91.1 - Radio City - CBE
  • 92.7 - Big FM - Mysore
  • 93.5 - Suriyan FM - CBE
  • 98.3 - Radio Mirchi - CBE
  • 100.5 - Rainbow FM - Kodaikanal
  • 101.1 - All India Radio - Akashavani - Trissur
  • 102.3 - Air Kochi
  • 103.0 - Rainbow FM - CBE
  • 104.8 - Radio Mirchi - Mysore
  • 106.4 - Hello FM - CBE
  • 107.4 - TNAU Agri University Community e-Radio - CBE
  • 107.8 - PSG Tech Radio - CBE
The antenna is very effective.

I am getting 14 channels now.
  • 90.4 - Radio Kothagiri
  • 90.8 - Rathinavani FM (Rathinam Engg College) - CBE
  • 91.1 - Radio City - CBE
  • 92.7 - Big FM - Mysore
  • 93.5 - Suriyan FM - CBE
  • 98.3 - Radio Mirchi - CBE
  • 100.5 - Rainbow FM - Kodaikanal
  • 101.1 - All India Radio - Akashavani - Trissur
  • 102.3 - Air Kochi
  • 103.0 - Rainbow FM - CBE
  • 104.8 - Radio Mirchi - Mysore
  • 106.4 - Hello FM - CBE
  • 107.4 - TNAU Agri University Community e-Radio - CBE
  • 107.8 - PSG Tech Radio - CBE
The antenna is very effective.
what is the effective Air Distance from your location to all these radio station?

what is the effective Air Distance from your location to all these radio station?
I have given the approximate air distance for the channels below.
  1. 90.4 - Radio Kothagiri (~45km)
  2. 90.8 - Rathinavani FM (Rathinam Engg College) - CBE (~15km)
  3. 91.1 - Radio City - CBE (~15km)
  4. 92.7 - Big FM - Mysore (~150km)
  5. 93.5 - Suriyan FM - CBE (~15km)
  6. 98.3 - Radio Mirchi - CBE (~15km)
  7. 100.5 - Rainbow FM - Kodaikanal (~110km)
  8. 101.1 - All India Radio - Akashavani - Trissur (~100km)
  9. 102.3 - Air Kochi (~115km)
  10. 103.0 - Rainbow FM - CBE (~15km)
  11. 104.8 - Radio Mirchi - Mysore (~150km)
  12. 106.4 - Hello FM - CBE (~15km)
  13. 107.4 - TNAU Agri University Community e-Radio - CBE (~15km)
  14. 107.8 - PSG Tech Radio - CBE (~15km)
In this list, channels 3.5,6,10,11 are local channels that are usually available.

Channels 2,13,14 are local educational institutional channels with limited broadcast distance. Before installing the antenna, these channels were not available while tuning.

The other long-distance channels like 1,4,7,8,11 are now received after the antenna installation without any distortion. The strength is also very good. Channel 7 comes in stereo.

I am planning to experiment with adding a VHF TV booster to the antenna and see if I can search and pull any other channel. Also to check if 1,4,8 & 11 channels are in stereo quality.

Hope it clarifies.

In this list, channels 3.5,6,10,11 are local channels that are usually available.

Channels 2,13,14 are local educational institutional channels with limited broadcast distance. Before installing the antenna, these channels were not available while tuning.

The other long-distance channels like 1,4,7,8,11 are now received after the antenna installation without any distortion. The strength is also very good. Channel 7 comes in stereo.

I am planning to experiment with adding a VHF TV booster to the antenna and see if I can search and pull any other channel. Also to check if 1,4,8 & 11 channels are in stereo quality.

Hope it clarifies.
That's impressive .

There was a discussion on FM reception here

For FM you have many factors to deal with unless you are in the line of sight of the station. Especially multipath reflection kills the signal for city dwellers. I got rid of it to a large extent to receive signals as far as 160-200km away with a simple dipole stretched across the window in my 13th floor apartment. The angle at which the antenna is mounted can help as per my reading a few years ago when I indulged in this antenna business to get the FM right in my apartment.

You need to be matching the impedance of the input of the tuner with appropriate balun or cable. If material purity would affect the reception is iffy. All you need is a voltage for which the length of the antenna is most important.

Why don't you try this Quad antenna? It is proven to pull the signal much stronger even in the weaker area. It is a directional antenna and works well.

I am going to build one for my home in Madurai. I purchased the components as per the video given on YouTube. There are still a few more that I will buy locally.

In the south of TN, our benchmark for long-distance FM reception is Thendral FM from Sri Lankan Broadcast Channel (SLBC). I am hoping to get it as Madurai is 200km away (air distance) from SLBC.

IMG_20220830_165443_940.jpg

I will let you know once I complete the installation.

I am going to build one for my home in Madurai. I purchased the components as per the video given on YouTube. There are still a few more that I will buy locally.

In the south of TN, our benchmark for long-distance FM reception is Thendral FM from Sri Lankan Broadcast Channel (SLBC). I am hoping to get it as Madurai is 200km away (air distance) from SLBC.

View attachment 71529

I will let you know once I complete the installation.
Wish you good luck to catch SLBC. I'd cover all the joints with a waterproofing tape or compound. Atleast grease to prevent water ingress and corrosion. Especially that cable connection is bound to corrode due to Al-Cu galvanic cell formation, cover it or not. Covering will reduce oxidation. If you got a strip of Al-Cu bimetal sheet use it. Al side on the Al tube and Cu side solder the wire.

Not sure if RG6 is available in CCA wire. Then you can try to scrape off the copper and attach the Al core to the Al tube.

Wish you good luck to catch SLBC. I'd cover all the joints with a waterproofing tape or compound. Atleast grease to prevent water ingress and corrosion. Especially that cable connection is bound to corrode due to Al-Cu galvanic cell formation, cover it or not. Covering will reduce oxidation. If you got a strip of Al-Cu bimetal sheet use it. Al side on the Al tube and Cu side solder the wire.

Not sure if RG6 is available in CCA wire. Then you can try to scrape off the copper and attach the Al core to the Al tube.
Oh.. you can tin the copper wire before joining to the Al tube. We do it when bimetallic strip is not available to connect Al cable to Cu busbars or terminals

I would follow your mentioned steps to insulate and seal to water proof it. Hoping to get good results
I would try to eliminate the joints .

Get a 3m long Al tube if available. Mark centre and at 375mm from center to each side Bend to U of side 750mm. Pass open ends through the PVC pipe as in the video (top and bottom), bend again to close the loop with sides 750mm. Connect wire at the open ends and seal the connection. Hope you got my idea .

If I am right, it would look like a lengthy loop antenna? Any pictures that you can share to help me understand it visually?

I would try to eliminate the joints .

Get a 3m long Al tube if available. Mark centre and at 375mm from center to each side Bend to U of side 750mm. Pass open ends through the PVC pipe as in the video (top and bottom), bend again to close the loop with sides 750mm. Connect wire at the open ends and seal the connection. Hope you got my idea .
PXL_20220830_163330358.jpg

Got it. Instead of screwing the pieces, it's one single tube but bent to look like the similar one mentioned in the video

Hope it clarifies.
VHF has two bands Lo and Hi. FM lies in between these two. Not sure if the booster can tune to FM.

Got it. Instead of screwing the pieces, it's one single tube but bent to look like the similar one mentioned in the video
Exactly... You can try to get copper tube from a/c mechanics or HVAC spares shops..copper comes in rolls. It may be costly though. Of course it will also form patina. But better corrosion resistance. Can withstand crows better than aluminium.

Exactly... You can try to get copper tube from a/c mechanics or HVAC spares shops. It may be costly though. Of course it will also form patina. But better corrosion resistance. Can withstand crows better than aluminium.

Got it. Will try that one. 👍🏼

What’s the best indoor tuner antenna (preferably wire or in a form easily hidden) available? Any links to purchase highly appreciated. My Yamaha T-85’s wire antenna is decent, I can catch all local FM stations, but need to keep it close to the window. Also the signal capture isn’t the strongest… kind of half of full strength (as per the display on the tuner)

What’s the best indoor tuner antenna (preferably wire or in a form easily hidden) available? Any links to purchase highly appreciated. My Yamaha T-85’s wire antenna is decent, I can catch all local FM stations, but need to keep it close to the window. Also the signal capture isn’t the strongest… kind of half of full strength (as per the display on the tuner)
Your building with it's concrete structure shields much of the signal. So you need the antenna on the window or close to it in general to capture any signal properly. You cannot escape from it. Though I don't use FM much (Desi stations are crap here in UAE) it is stuck on the window. For AM I need the radio on the window sill to get some signal. For SW the antenna is a SONY powered antenna ANLP-1 or a wire dangling down.

If the antenna from Yamaha is not a dipole, try making it with a speaker wire. 75cm to either side and stretch it on the window pane. See my link above. 45deg to horizontal makes it more or less omni directional.

Or go Outdoor type. All those boosted antenna sold are not going to cut the ice.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back