Importance of antenna for Tuners

Your building with it's concrete structure shields much of the signal. So you need the antenna on the window or close to it in general to capture any signal properly
Thanks. That gives me the idea for this question: “Are there any wireless FM antennas?” I mean antenna that can be placed on a terrace, but isn’t connected with wire to the tuner, instead wirelessly transmits signal to a dongle on the tuner?

Thanks. That gives me the idea for this question: “Are there any wireless FM antennas?” I mean antenna that can be placed on a terrace, but isn’t connected with wire to the tuner, instead wirelessly transmits signal to a dongle on the tuner?

FM works with wired antennas only. And it works very well. You should keep the wire outside and test if you get good signal strength.

I haven't heard any wireless antenna before.

I am going to build one for my home in Madurai. I purchased the components as per the video given on YouTube. There are still a few more that I will buy locally.

In the south of TN, our benchmark for long-distance FM reception is Thendral FM from Sri Lankan Broadcast Channel (SLBC). I am hoping to get it as Madurai is 200km away (air distance) from SLBC.

View attachment 71529

I will let you know once I complete the installation.
Very interesting. Years ago, I have picked up SLBC service in Trivandrum on FM (104 MHz I think) using a yagi antenna, with a folded dipole, a single dirctor and single reflector (without amplification) on my NAD 402 tuner. All the tamil stations from Kanyakumari district were also loud and clear. Good memories.

In the early 80s, we had a 3 x 12 ft GI-Pipe mast with a 14 element Yagi and MC60 mast mounted TV booster (or was it MC90, I cant remember) and used to pick up Roopavahini broadcasts on Channel 5 and Channel 8 during the black and white days. This article from those times will bring back some memoreis for those who were around at the time.

Awesome.

I have come to Madurai. I am going to assemble the quad antenna in the days to come and see how the reception is.

So long as I get additional channels other than 6 local channels like Hello FM (91.9), Suriyan FM (93.5), Radio Mirchi (98.3), Kodai FM (100.5), Rainbow FM (103.3), Hello FM (106.4), I will be happy.

I could get CBE channels like Hello FM (91.9) and Rainbow FM (103.0) up until the Madura outskirts. Hope to get them with the antenna.

Let's see.

Very interesting. Years ago, I have picked up SLBC service in Trivandrum on FM (104 MHz I think) using a yagi antenna, with a folded dipole, a single dirctor and single reflector (without amplification) on my NAD 402 tuner. All the tamil stations from Kanyakumari district were also loud and clear. Good memories.

In the early 80s, we had a 3 x 12 ft GI-Pipe mast with a 14 element Yagi and MC60 mast mounted TV booster (or was it MC90, I cant remember) and used to pick up Roopavahini broadcasts on Channel 5 and Channel 8 during the black and white days. This article from those times will bring back some memoreis for those who were around at the time.

In Trivandrum, the following local FM stations were available when i used to fiddle around without really listening to the content:
  • Big FM 92.7
  • Red FM 93.5
  • Club FM 94.3
  • Radio Mirchi 98.3
  • AIR Ananthapuri FM 101.9
  • Gyaan Vaani 105.6
  • DC FM (its a community channel transmitted by DC school of management) 90.4
The following stations are also available at the time, based on external antenna use, external antenna height, the ability to rotate the antenna and weather conditions (the first 3 are from Tirunelveli district). I never used a signal amplifier, just the NAD 402 tuner.
  • Suryan FM 93.5 (can be received only after the local Red FM switches off for the day
  • Hello FM 106.4 (reception is rather irregular during the day but fantastic at night)
  • AIR Akashwani 102.6 (not very clear but still audible)
  • SLBC Tamil Service 104 i think, depending on weather conditions
  • Radio Mango 91.9 (from Kochi) depending on weather conditions
This is the antenna design which I used.

Why I stopped: (1) time constraints, (2) the content was definitely not to my liking, (3) wife asked me to remove the DIY antenna from our terrace due to optics-related reasons, (4) out of station

Last edited:
104.7 is SLBC

If we are lucky, we should get stations from Kerala whatever is possible in reach.

It's a hobby that doesn't require an expensive audio setup. A sensitive tuner, raised (optionally external) antenna, decent amp and a pair of speakers should be good enough.

I assembled the quad antenna as per the steps given in the video that I shared in this thread.

I am in the urban part of Madurai city away by 23km in the north west. I installed it in my terrace at 40 ft distance from the ground. With that, I am able to pick up the following list of channels.
  1. 90.4 Pasumai FM (Madurai local channel)
  2. 91.1 Radio City (Coimbatore) - Stereo
  3. 91.9 Radio City (Madurai) - Stereo
  4. 92.7 Hello FM (Erode)
  5. 93.5 Suriyan FM (Madurai) - Stereo
  6. 94.3 Club FM (Cochin)
  7. 98.3 Radio Mirchi (Coimbatore) - Stereo
  8. 100.5 Kodai FM (Kodaikanal) - Stereo
  9. 102.1 Rainbow FM (Trichy)
  10. 103.0 Rainbow FM (Coimbatore) - Stereo
  11. 103.3 Rainbow FM (Madurai) - Stereo
  12. 106.4 Hello FM (Madurai) - Stereo
Except for channels 4 & 9, all other channels are clear in reception. SLBC was not at all available while scanning through the channels.

Need to give a try with booster and see if it improves.

Sharing the pictures of the antenna and how it's placed.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YTsegWTnr4G5C7yi9

I assembled the quad antenna as per the steps given in the video that I shared in this thread.

I am in the urban part of Madurai city away by 23km in the north west. I installed it in my terrace at 40 ft distance from the ground. With that, I am able to pick up the following list of channels.
  4. 92.7 Hello FM (Erode)
  6. 94.3 Club FM (Cochin)
Except for channels 4 & 9, all other channels are clear in reception. SLBC was not at all available while scanning through the channels.

... THAT Dish antenna stand ! , perfect Repurposing. :)

We dont use the Dish TV any more; the local cable TV provider quality itself is very good.

Hence removed the dish and used its place holder for the antenna.

I stay on the ground floor and hardly I get local FM stations.
I couldn't get aluminum or copper tube nearby and used speaker wires instead. Initially I tried with a bare copper wire from RG6 cable (core). I mounted this homemade antenna on the 5th floor now. I am able to get all Bangalore stations in stereo now except for 95 MHz, which has some noise.
Started receiving 100.6 and 104.8 from Mysuru and depending on the weather, I get Chennai (102.3 & 103.3), Dharma puri (102. 5) and Ooty (101.8), I get Hello FM at 106.4 when local Gyanvani is not active. All TN stations are hit or miss and has noise most of the time.
I need to replace speaker wire with copper or aluminum tube once I get it.

This is a very simple construction with casing pipe and fittings.

Attachments

• IMG-20221005-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20221005-WA0003.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 43
I stay on the ground floor and hardly I get local FM stations.
I couldn't get aluminum or copper tube nearby and used speaker wires instead. Initially I tried with a bare copper wire from RG6 cable (core). I mounted this homemade antenna on the 5th floor now. I am able to get all Bangalore stations in stereo now except for 95 MHz, which has some noise.
Started receiving 100.6 and 104.8 from Mysuru and depending on the weather, I get Chennai (102.3 & 103.3), Dharma puri (102. 5) and Ooty (101.8), I get Hello FM at 106.4 when local Gyanvani is not active. All TN stations are hit or miss and has noise most of the time.
I need to replace speaker wire with copper or aluminum tube once I get it.

This is a very simple construction with casing pipe and fittings.
Brilliant 🎉

Check if you can find old yagi antenna either from SP Road or from neighbour who still have in their terrace

It works beautifully.

Brilliant 🎉

Check if you can find old yagi antenna either from SP Road or from neighbour who still have in their terrace

It works beautifully.
I asked the next door scrap dealer to help me with copper or aluminum tube. Going frugal in my approach. Lol.
I am trying to recycle all available materials. I spent just 50 rupees to build this now as I had all other things in my stock.

I asked the next door scrap dealer to help me with copper or aluminum tube. Going frugal in my approach. Lol
Aluminium tubes can be procured in any hardware shops particularly those who sell runners for false ceiling.

I bought mine for Rs 10/- per feet. A tube comes with default length of 12 ft.

4. 92.7 Hello FM (Erode)
  6. 94.3 Club FM (Cochin)

Sir can u share how wiring is done at antenna .

In my previous replies, I shared a Youtube link through which I made the antenna.

It clearly narrates the wiring done at the antenna end.

I have given the approximate air distance for the channels below.
  1. 90.4 - Radio Kothagiri (~45km)
  2. 90.8 - Rathinavani FM (Rathinam Engg College) - CBE (~15km)
  3. 91.1 - Radio City - CBE (~15km)
  4. 92.7 - Big FM - Mysore (~150km)
  5. 93.5 - Suriyan FM - CBE (~15km)
  6. 98.3 - Radio Mirchi - CBE (~15km)
  7. 100.5 - Rainbow FM - Kodaikanal (~110km)
  8. 101.1 - All India Radio - Akashavani - Trissur (~100km)
  9. 102.3 - Air Kochi (~115km)
  10. 103.0 - Rainbow FM - CBE (~15km)
  11. 104.8 - Radio Mirchi - Mysore (~150km)
  12. 106.4 - Hello FM - CBE (~15km)
  13. 107.4 - TNAU Agri University Community e-Radio - CBE (~15km)
  14. 107.8 - PSG Tech Radio - CBE (~15km)
In this list, channels 3.5,6,10,11 are local channels that are usually available.

Channels 2,13,14 are local educational institutional channels with limited broadcast distance. Before installing the antenna, these channels were not available while tuning.

The other long-distance channels like 1,4,7,8,11 are now received after the antenna installation without any distortion. The strength is also very good. Channel 7 comes in stereo.

I am planning to experiment with adding a VHF TV booster to the antenna and see if I can search and pull any other channel. Also to check if 1,4,8 & 11 channels are in stereo quality.

Hope it clarifies.

A new FM channel has been introduced in CBE called Aalayam FM broadcasted in 90.0MHz.

Yeah. Good that an online community radio is in broadcast. The sound quality and strength are also very good.

In fact, up until the outskirts of Coimbatore, Dindigul-based Thoni FM 91.2MHz is received. The FM is broadcast from Thoni hill close the Kodaikanal.

Last edited:
Yeah. Good that an online community radio is in broadcast. The sound quality and strength are also very good.

In fact, up until the outskirts of Coimbatore, Dindigul-based Thoni FM 91.2MHz is received. The FM is broadcast from Thoni hill close the Kodaikanal.
Before 4 or 5 days i listened Alayam FM with noisy in evening time. Then i am not able to hear due to my work. On weekend i will try. My location is Gandhipuram and i used Antenna. Line of Sight distance is almost 7 km.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back