Importance of Gain in a PJ Screen

sunith

All:

I am in the middle of setting up my dedicated HT.
My PJ is decided as Epson TW8300, with 2500 Lumens. This is a dedicated room with limited or no light coming in.

My current plan is to paint the screen (size 138 " diagonal) as the primary option. The Silk Touch paint in amazon has a gain of 1.1 as per the manufacturer.Some FMs have used laminate also.

My question is - Given my setup what would be the best possible gain I should look for ? Is higher the better (I guess yes.. still) ? What are the other DIY options which can get a higher gain ?

If you are using a decent quality projector, do get a proper screen and build a fixed frame around it. The frame if you use ply would probably be less than 5k, if you use pine it will be higher.

For screens you can go for liberty at the low end, carl's for mid end and da lite at the high end.

Using paint can be a temporary option but you will not get the consistency as you project on the screen.

If you are having a light controlled screen, you dont need a very high gain screen. If you need 3d you need higher gain, so around 1.1 should be enough.

The Amazon Silk Touch you referred to gave me the best screen so far in all my experiments. Had to add a little black universal stain to make it more greyer.

If you have a wall, I would say tray paint and evaluate shades between white and dark grey.

In my case I even tried with aluminum powder added and it resulted in amazing pictures. Only caveat being a glare in scenes with bright white light (let us say a scene with car headlights on.)

Again IMHO, have a wall? then paint. :eek:hyeah:

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back