Screen gain 1.1 vs 1.4

mohit katta

Any advice on which screen will be better for my use case in light controlled ht I am looking for 165 inch screen 16:9 to pair with my ls12000b distance from lens is 16ft so 1.35x throw ratio need to consider if there is a risk of hot spotting or other issues in 1.4 gain
Looking for white only screen
one is a online only brand I can’t demo

1.) bigvue 165 inch 1.4 gain for 45k

I saw only feedback and photos of this and it looks promising better than elite in pictures
and other one is a popular brand

2.) elite cinewhite with 165 inch 1.1 gain for 86k which I saw in person paired with a Sony vpl 550es and was little unimpressed with the washed out image idk what was the reason it was a light controlled room as well …. Could be the low 2000 lumen projector or screen

I can shell out more for elite premium but in person it felt a little underwhelming although I am not sure for bigvue 1.4 gain as there is no demo for it could be hotspotting bad with my throw ratio

Please advice

Any advice on which screen will be better for my use case in light controlled ht I am looking for 165 inch screen 16:9 to pair with my ls12000b distance from lens is 16ft so 1.35x throw ratio need to consider if there is a risk of hot spotting or other issues in 1.4 gain
Looking for white only screen
one is a online only brand I can’t demo

1.) bigvue 165 inch 1.4 gain for 45k

I saw only feedback and photos of this and it looks promising better than elite in pictures
and other one is a popular brand

2.) elite cinewhite with 165 inch 1.1 gain for 86k which I saw in person paired with a Sony vpl 550es and was little unimpressed with the washed out image idk what was the reason it was a light controlled room as well …. Could be the low 2000 lumen projector or screen

I can shell out more for elite premium but in person it felt a little underwhelming although I am not sure for bigvue 1.4 gain as there is no demo for it could be hotspotting bad with my throw ratio

Please advice
Lower gain screens have their advantages as well. Lower gain screens reflect all light back at a diminished ratio; not just the projector's light. Lower gain screens are good options to help reduce the amount of ambient light that gets reflected back to the audience when specific ambient light rejecting surfaces are not used.

Lower gain screens also help to bring out more vivid blacks and enhance a projector's native contrast ratio. Lower gain screen are often used in conjunction with a high lumen projector in home theater setups.

In a dedicated home theater environment the ambient light is usually well controlled so a specific ambient light rejecting surface is not necessary.

With lower lumen projectors, a 1.0 gain screen is often the recommended surface.

Your room's lighting conditions, audience's seating configuration and projector specifications all factor into determining which screen surface to select.

Lower gain screens have their advantages as well. Lower gain screens reflect all light back at a diminished ratio; not just the projector's light. Lower gain screens are good options to help reduce the amount of ambient light that gets reflected back to the audience when specific ambient light rejecting surfaces are not used.

Lower gain screens also help to bring out more vivid blacks and enhance a projector's native contrast ratio. Lower gain screen are often used in conjunction with a high lumen projector in home theater setups.

In a dedicated home theater environment the ambient light is usually well controlled so a specific ambient light rejecting surface is not necessary.

With lower lumen projectors, a 1.0 gain screen is often the recommended surface.

Your room's lighting conditions, audience's seating configuration and projector specifications all factor into determining which screen surface to select.
Higher gain projector screens often have reduced viewing angles/cones. While providing a brighter image for those within the cone; those outside often experience significantly diminished brightness. A smaller viewing angle means there is a smaller area that the audience must be seated in in order to experience the screen's maximum brightness.

Higher gain screens can also experience issues with "hotspotting". When viewing the screen from the Zero Degree Viewing Angle the center of the image will appear brighter than the outside edges. This is less noticeable with screen gains of 1.3 and below and becomes more noticeable on many surfaces as the screen gain increases.

Some higher gain surfaces also have difficulty with accurate color reproduction. Red, green and blue colors are often not reflected uniformly causing noticeable color shifting as one changes their viewing angle.

Back