TV vs Projector

Based on all your inputs I realize projectors have a much better experience but there is an initial pain in setting it up and they lack convinience. I guess to watch movies, projectors will better suit my need.

How are the mi laser short throw projector. For 1.5 lakhs(imported n without warranty), they seem to have 4k projectors with no hassles about cables etc. How are they in comparison to regular epson projectors like the 9400, etc.
I would suggest to stick with locally available brands for TVs and projectors as these are sensitive equipments.

I tried to source a projector from US for a friend of mine as a marriage gift ( I know, not many gift a projector for a marriage, but he's into movies and we share similar craziness ) and when I enquired Epson about parts availability in India for imported projectors, I was told that they can't source any part through official channel. And no warranty.

I dropped the plan to import and got a locally sourced BenQ since he is not rainbow sensitive like me and prefers sharpness.

But US and EU variants are similar, but I didn't want to take a risk.

If you're into UST projectors, I would suggest to look into Epson's range of USTs. But lamp projectors anyday trump UST in color accuracy. USTs are yet to mature in my modest opinion.

I don't suggest imporing high value electronics unless they are built like a tank. These days every brand is into planned obsolescence.

You can import a speaker, though.

I would any day vote for a projector.

Yes, a tv is convenient. But a big screen experience is unmatchable. I have 2 projectors. A 9400 and a 5820 (1080p). Both are bright enough even for day usage. Of course the image is washed out during day, but at night on a dedicated setup, a 9400 is pure bliss.

My suggestion would be to get a 9400 at least and you would not miss 4k. Epson uses pixel shifting to display 4K content. Realistically you will not miss any detail if you stick to good source. Pixel shifting eliminates screen door effect to a great extent. Even at my temporary 5820 setup, I find pixels only if I sit at 4 feet !!!

A 9400 is a great projector for the money. I guess you could get one for around 1.8 lakhs or less if you bargain enough.

Edit: Like @Decadent_Spectre opined, one should look for the experience. At the same time, a projector with poor contrast will kill the experience as we are so used to a decent picture. Now most of us own 4K TVs.

9400 offers excellent contrast for most of us.

Yes the experience is what matters, nothing else. By demoing TVs/Projectors one is less likely to have buyers remorse and more likely to enjoy their purchase.

Not all enthusiasts are read and believe. Also you say that who wants warm picture are just sheep’s? Yeah I wil try to pass on this awesome information to movie makers and tv makers to stop wasting time and money. Why waste time with reference monitors and create content. Just give us a bluish image cause that’s what all enthusiasts who spend lakhs wants. If you don’t care about tints, colour, black level that’s fine but don’t be defending that’s what every one wants. I also know lot of pple who have good set ups and prefer warm just not for the sake of what others are saying but that’s what they like. Don’t be making these claims. People talk about all these factors for experience and feel. I myself have a decent set up. I used Sony full HD tv and liked standard and vivid mode. After moving to c9 I tried the same but didn’t like it cause my eyes started picking up on the inaccuracy. Then I slowly moved to cinema mode not cause others were saying but that’s what I liked. There are many who spend so much money using professional calibrators as well. So don’t be saying they are all sheep’s just cause they don’t meet your standards.Many liking standard and vivid mode cause they are used to that in the previous gen tv’s before 4k was a thing which is fine and nothing wrong but there is reference and preference. My brother using his old 43 inch led hd tv for years also said the same. He used to say my tv is dull. But after he upgraded to a 55 qled 4k and used it in standard, vivid mode he was happy initially but after some time he came to me and said something is not right. So I set his tv in cinema mode and now he is very happy. So I am not simply googling and typing. I am talking facts and with real life example.
On a random note - I have to agree here. I am generally a take it out of the box and plug it and watch it kinda guy never bother with changing things and leave it on standard. However after reading this I changed my TV to the movie mode and let it be to give it a fair chance since this comment. I can't go back to standard anymore, it hurts my eyes ;) Movie mode is stuck now and I am loving it. Thank you very much @Love4sound

On a random note - I have to agree here. I am generally a take it out of the box and plug it and watch it kinda guy never bother with changing things and leave it on standard. However after reading this I changed my TV to the movie mode and let it be to give it a fair chance since this comment. I can't go back to standard anymore, it hurts my eyes ;) Movie mode is stuck now and I am loving it. Thank you very much @Love4sound
Happy to help and glad to hear that you are enjoying the cinema mode. You get a lot of details that doesn’t appear in standard mode compared to cinema mode. The brightness and contrast in standard is not accurate and way off from the d65 reference whites. If some scenes are dull that’s how the content creator has created that scene. I actually made my c9 purchase only auditioning it and comparing it side by side with other tv’s in standard mode. Main reason for many is we are all used to standard mode from old tv techs before 4k and HDR was a thing. We are used to the bluish whites and over saturated colours. Should be ok for most people but for enthusiasts and pixel picky folks they will evolve along with the tech. If I may ask what Tv do you use?

Last edited:
Happy to help and glad to hear that you are enjoying the cinema mode. You get a lot of details that doesn’t appear in standard mode compared to cinema mode. The brightness and contrast in standard is not accurate and way off from the d65 reference whites. If some scenes are dull that’s how the content creator has created that scene. I actually made my c9 purchase only auditioning it and comparing it side by side with other tv’s in standard mode. Main reason for many is we are all used to standard mode from old tv techs before 4k and HDR was a thing. We are used to the bluish whites and over saturated colours. Should be ok for most people but for enthusiasts and pixel picky folks they will evolve along with the tech. If I may ask what Tv do you use?
I frankly do not know the model. It came in these massive cartons with Samsung 4K UHD written all over them if it had a model I didn't check. I have got a Samsung Commercial 4K, comes with all bells and whistles like HDR 10+, eARC etc. Is sold to hotels and has got some hotel specific features, like physical paraphernalia behind the TV to allow Hotels to control + order from the room, conference capability etc. Doesn't have speakers in it (I am 99% sure of this). It has only 2 inputs - 1 eARC and 1 HDMI 2.1/2.2 not sure. Has got larger than consumer model bezels.

So the idea is these are specifically made for hotels and such industries, the panels are the same as the consumer models but are cheaper as these are a little fatter than commercial models - due to the additional hardware in the back. Our company did a deal where we got these for our conference rooms etc and I just got my deal in the middle of it. So turned out pretty cheap.

I frankly do not know the model. It came in these massive cartons with Samsung 4K UHD written all over them if it had a model I didn't check. I have got a Samsung Commercial 4K, comes with all bells and whistles like HDR 10+, eARC etc. Is sold to hotels and has got some hotel specific features, like physical paraphernalia behind the TV to allow Hotels to control + order from the room, conference capability etc. Doesn't have speakers in it (I am 99% sure of this). It has only 2 inputs - 1 eARC and 1 HDMI 2.1/2.2 not sure. Has got larger than consumer model bezels.

So the idea is these are specifically made for hotels and such industries, the panels are the same as the consumer models but are cheaper as these are a little fatter than commercial models - due to the additional hardware in the back. Our company did a deal where we got these for our conference rooms etc and I just got my deal in the middle of it. So turned out pretty cheap.
Why don't you share the details. TV size, price etc

Why don't you share the details. TV size, price etc
I am sharing the details as I know them - 65 inch - Samsung 4K UHD (not sure if it is QLED/OLED/LED/UNLEAD), doesn't seem to have a model number on the body. Price was in a bulk deal was a little over 1L + GST (I believe). I do not have the box or the documentation that came with it. I never keep any documentation unless it is amplifiers and speakers or audio related equipment as I know I will have to sell them. The TVs somebody or the other in friends/family/neighbors always takes.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back