Importing an Onkyo SR875 from US

agnisumita

Hi - I am thinking of importing an Onkyo AVR from the US. Does anyone know whether the warranty would be valid in India or not? Thanks for your input. Agni.

How are you planning to deal with the power supply?
You would need a really good 110V/60Hz to 220V/50Hz converter. Digital processors are quite sensitive to impure sine wave patterns, while the power amps require a huge amount of current. Are you getting a multi-voltage system from the US. I don't think Onkyo sells them at regular shops in the US. I have a friend who is relocating back to India later this month, and is struggling with this issue.

Thanks,
Sharad

Power converter is not an issue even Onkyo was selling the AVR with 110 to 230 convertor, I know in Bangalore JC/SP road you can get big power convertor for this US to India relocation, don?t worry it work well only thing check how much watts you need and buy almost double the required watts because all we get low voltage in the night so it won?t go further down from 110.

If someone want to get any electronics items with them from US is wise, otherwise shipping direct with their bad luck can take them in to trouble and end up pay more than the India price and suffer with the custom procedures so be careful.

Thanks Guys -I guess you r right - an US warranty will most likely not be honoured in India. Anybody having any idea what the Onkyo SR 875 would cost in India in the grey market? Thanks. Agni.

Should not be any problems with these amps. i am having my yamaha amp brought from US for almost 3 yrs now. i have a put a convertor which is 1200 W and bought for 900 bucks (may be you will find bit cheaper in SP road)..

only thing whihc has gone bad is the fuse. i replaced them myself :)

cheers..

My Yamaha & Pioneer amps are running on a 230 to 110 converter bought on SP road, it's a 1kva converter, paid 1900 bucks works without any problem.

Anil

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Any idea about Onkyo TXSR875? Is this marketed in India yet? I'm currently based on the UK and will be relocating soon. That's why I cannot have first hand info about the indian market right now. Thanks. Agni.

If you are in the UK and are buying in the UK, then you should not have voltage issues.
Hope you are aware that the 875 is around 26kgs unpacked in weight. And if you pack it, you might exceed the normal 30kg upper limit check in weight.
I was very much following the 875 since its launch..it costs around 1200USD, and much more expensive in UK, and in India ( last heard, ezone hyderabad sold it for 75,000 rs).
I would recommend that you buy it in india..

Actually I'll be visiting US next month. Yes in UK it costs 1000 and in US $1100 !! That's the reason I'm thinking of getting it fron the US in spite of its weight & all. I guess the Indian price of 75 - 80 K is more in l;ine with UK but of course you get the warranty & support. I'm still undecided. Decision, decision!

If you are eventually coming to bangalore and stationing your 875 there, do send me a PM. i would like to have a look at your setup per your convenience.

If you are eventually coming to bangalore and stationing your 875 there, do send me a PM. i would like to have a look at your setup per your convenience.

I have a 875 hooked up to B&W and it great. ping me if you need to check it out.

regards

Hi friends,

i also lokkking to setup nice HT setup.. could u please suggest me some good system.. first i want nice A/V receiver lastest model from yamaha, denon, onkyo, and others..... speakers i can addup slowly....... my friends are living in US, singapore and dubai.. among these three places where can i get less price and voltage conversion its kind of risky as per my knowledge....

i am really thankful all of u guys giving some good idea to setup nice HT..\

Thanks
Vinoth

Hi Kiran,

r u based on bangalore> ? how is the systm response... can u send ur HT system configuration and review..?

thanks
vinoth

I've access to you UK onkyo sales team, and can get it for 850 if that helps! Also please make sure you are getting the P or Q versions - last of serial numbers, otherwise you will be in trouble in accessing certain features.

Actually I'll be visiting US next month. Yes in UK it costs 1000 and in US $1100 !! That's the reason I'm thinking of getting it fron the US in spite of its weight & all. I guess the Indian price of 75 - 80 K is more in l;ine with UK but of course you get the warranty & support. I'm still undecided. Decision, decision!

Hi All,

Even I am planning to buy one AVR for 700 USD from US. If any one advice how much will be the custom duty on to pay or how to avoid the custom duties.

Thanks in advance

Naveen

Hi Navin - the Onkyo weighs around 30 Kg - so do consider the expense to get it shipped. I think the duty is around 30% but not very sure. Thanks. Agni.

Hello Guys,

Its nice to hear that some ppl in India are also looking for some Hi-Fi A/V Systems.

Unfortunately, our Govt. does not promote these kinda users nor the Import(they charge HEAVY customs).

I am planning to Buy the SR705 with some speakers.

Any suggestions from anyone?

Thanks;)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back