Importing an Onkyo SR875 from US

To onkyo owners: how you do guys manage the heat emitted by Onkyo, I've an Onkyo 875 on order to bring to India. Here in UK itself, known friends are struggling to manage these in AV cabinets!!

Hello Guys,

Its nice to hear that some ppl in India are also looking for some Hi-Fi A/V Systems.

Unfortunately, our Govt. does not promote these kinda users nor the Import(they charge HEAVY customs).

I am planning to Buy the SR705 with some speakers.

Any suggestions from anyone?

Thanks;)

Hi

More than the customs, the dealer/distributors pad their margins way too much. Fortunately, some deals are still viable if you talk it out with the dealer.

regards

I just moved to Bombay from the US and had the following setup (which is currently en route to Bombay):
Onkyo SR 705
Speakers:
Polk
RTI6 fronts
RTI4 surrounds
CSI3 center
PSW10 sub (may consider replacing this for line/hum noise)

This certainly is not top of the line but for a cinema enthusiast for a 20x15 room. This system kicks ass. Make sure you invest in good quality 14 or 16 AWG speaker cables for cable lengths <40-50 ft.

Does anyone in Mumbai know where I can get a 230->120V step down from? The receiver would use 6.2A @ 120V = ~750W. Can someone recommend a place to buy the stepdown.

Thanks.

6.2A @ 120V is 3.1A @ 240V. Buy a 5A transformer.

You will get a step down transformer from Lamington Road but it would have been better if you had bought it in the US. The transformers available here start humming after a few months, in my experience.

If you are in luck your Marantz transformer has taps for 220-240V. Many mass market products have these. Get it checked from a electronics repair shop first.

Import Duty Calculation - How does custom officer calculate the duty?

Bumping quite an old thread since I don't have an exact answer for import queries. I am planning to pick up a Denon 1712 or Harmon Karon 1650/1700 receiver from US next week, along with some BIC DV62si or Pioneer SP-BS22 bookshelf speakers. Probably might as well pick some more if my colleague agrees to chug them across customs.

Now here is the deal. I read the customs rules and it says anything over 25,000 INR and they charge 36.03% duty on the excess amount. For example, if they assess my goods to be 10,000 more than 25,000 or 35,000 Rupees, they charge me 3603 rupees/equivalent in dollars for duty.

My question is how is the duty calculated for something that is not yet available in India. For example, these speakers will cost me only 120$ in US in Best Buy/Amazon and the receiver around 400$. Going by conversion rate of 55 Rupees a dollar, they are still well below 25,000 limit.

I am looking for answers from people who have actually crossed the customs with such goods. Please don't speculate if you haven't done it yet, as I am looking for a concrete answer here.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back