Importing Speakers from the UK, advise needed.

Kumar101

Hi, Am considering sourcing second hand Monitor Audio GS10 Speakers and have someone ship them over to India. A good pair can be bought for around 400 - 500.

Need info on likely implications:

Will I be liable for duty? (.... if so, how do you go about paying it)

Does the sender have to declare the value on the shipping form?

Anything else I need to watch out for?

Hi, Am considering sourcing second hand Monitor Audio GS10 Speakers and have someone ship them over to India. A good pair can be bought for around 400 - 500.

Need info on likely implications:

Will I be liable for duty? (.... if so, how do you go about paying it)

Does the sender have to declare the value on the shipping form?

Anything else I need to watch out for?

Try to avoid Importing speakers for below reasons

1. With GST, U cant predict the custom u end up paying,It could reach even 100% including fine in case it get locked,
2.Speakers get charged high on shipping.
3.U have risk of the item getting locked in Customs.

Try to avoid Importing speakers for below reasons

1. With GST, U cant predict the custom u end up paying,It could reach even 100% including fine in case it get locked,
2.Speakers get charged high on shipping.
3.U have risk of the item getting locked in Customs.

GST?! Come on give me a break. It has got nothing to do with imports especially for end users.

Speakers don't get charged high just because they are speakers. It's either the actual weight or the volumetric weight which ever is higher. For volumetric weight the formulae is L X B X H in CMS by 5000 = kgs.

@Kumar101 this topic has been discussed in length in this forum many times. Even I have eloborated the whole process. Please search and read them. Still if you have doubts we are here to clarify.

I can tell and discuss very confidently on this as all of my spekers, amps, processor and DACs are imported from US, UK and Germany.

Importing is nightmare as long as you don't know the nuances of it. Once you do it's easy.

You will get Custom Duty slapped around 30% on the speakers but if you are lucky you might get away with that. I imported NOS Military Mullard Tubes and Rectifiers from UK & Spain , one package was slapped with around 30% the other slipped past with nothing!

Ask the seller to under quote the value.

When I purchased my Dac from US, I was charged 50%, On top of Fedex producing the Original Bills for Clarence. The issue is "Value",If the Customer officer revalues, U cant even stop him\Her.

Also shipping from UK only cost 100$+, So can u under value as 200$? Moreover Speakers comes in Big parcel, So it takes attraction of Customs.

I know a person who was charged even for importing Blu-rays. So 30% is just in books, and u cant just go with it.

I can tell and discuss very confidently on this as all of my spekers, amps, processor and DACs are imported from US, UK and Germany.

Importing is nightmare as long as you don't know the nuances of it. Once you do it's easy.

Great Sir, I cant imagine How u managed to pay only 30% customs for such a big speakers like B&W 803D :clapping: that too paying Shipping and Customer.

Looks like,You are So lucky.:eek:hyeah:

The idea was to purchase the Speakers for around 450 from ebay. Shipping via DHL subsidiary would be around 50. Value of the can be declared to be around 200 on the original consignment form.

So from the replies above customs would charge at least 30% as per replies above. So the total cost would come to approx 600 sterling which converts to around the 50,000 rupee mark.

If its was 50,000 landed cost then it would be worthwhile. But if I happen to catch the customs officer having a bad day he may slap a huge tariff as he deems fit so could infact be much more costlier.

On pricing the Indian market seems a bit screwed up how can they justify 30%+ tariff! Some items are actually cheaper to buy here. Here is an example of a Sony speaker I bought from Amazon India.

Sony SRS-XB30/BC IN5 Portable Bluetooth Speakers: Amazon.in: Electronics

Same thing on Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-SRS-X...UTF8&qid=1498887313&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+xb30

2000 rupees cheaper here in fact! (so what gives?) [checked mine says "made in China"]

I dont really understand, is GST now flat 18%, dont know if any other levy's are applied on goods maybe import tax. How do they justify 30% or higher tariffs on personal imports, all seems a bit draconian to me. OK so we are into importing esoteric audio equipment for personal pleasure but what about people who need to import critical medical equipment for example, is there any special concession given for them I wonder.

Last edited:
The first and most dangerous advice that you are getting here is "under value the goods". Please never ever do that. Cause if they ask you to give payment proof your credit card statement / the wire transfer documents will show the actual value then it becomes a crime.

Importing a audio gear is working based on the balance between the domestic price and the landing cost. So if the actual cost + shipping + insurance and a duty of 33.6% on this CIF value going to be at the least 25%cheaper than domestic price then do it. Otherwise don't do it or else that particular item should not be available in india then you can import.

Again I am telling you @ Kumar this topic is huge. If you are serious in importing please search this forum or at the least my posts in the past then discuss here, so that you will have fair idea on how to go about it. Otherwise you will get miss lead by wrong guidance and from people who would not have imported or some one who has imported some small item once or twice.

Your point of importing used speaker has also been discussed already. Keep in mind importing used electronics is banned in India.

Again I am telling you @ Kumar this topic is huge. If you are serious in importing please search this forum or at the least my posts in the past then discuss here, so that you will have fair idea on how to go about it. Otherwise you will get miss lead by wrong guidance and from people who would not have imported or some one who has imported some small item once or twice.

Your point of importing used speaker has also been discussed already. Keep in mind importing used electronics is banned in India.

I have read through some the posts including your's but at the moment - 'I cannot the wood for the trees' :lol:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back