Impressions of the REL Predator HT 1508 - from a home user's point of view

Hi Friends,

Hope you & your families are fine & safe. I am putting forth my impressions about the above subwoofer which got delivered around 12 days back. Tried keeping it short but could not omit certain aspects. Please note that this is a personal review & could be subjective despite trying my best to keep it as objective as possible. The calibration was done by Audyssey XT 32 phone app as per what sounded good to my ears in the room. I don't know how to use REW, so no measurements as such. In more knowledgeable hands, I am sure both the subs could have been optimised further. The other gear comprises of the Marantz SR 7011, Marantz CDP 6006 UK edition cd player & Pioneer bdp 180 bluray player with Dali Oberon1 fronts plus surrounds & Oberon Vokal . Please skip to the conclusion part if you don't want a lengthy read.

Reason for change : I had a SVS PC 2000 with which I was happy with movies & music. Prior to that I was a 75 % music & 25 % movie person. The PC 2000 spoilt me into watching more & more movies & gradually converted me to a 40% music & 60 % movie person. I had no issues with movies/music as I was enjoying both for my tastes on the PC 2000. The only issue was my room size being small at 14 feet L X 11 feet W X 11 feet H & not the fault of the PC 2000. The tall cylinder at 34 inches seemed a bit imposing in the room. Also in future if I were to go for a projector screen, chances are there that it would slightly overlap the screen. A bigger room with more breathing space would have done more justice with it.

The search : After enjoying it for a little over 2.5 years, my search for a new subwoofer started recently with a smaller form factor & less weight. I thought maybe a sealed sub would meet these requirements. Besides I was curious as in the past owning a passive sub, sub with a radiator, a ported one & now wanted to try out a sealed one. Had heard & read a lot about their mid bass punch & tightness. The most likely contenders were the SVS 3000, REL HT 1205 & REL HT 1508. I did have the Rythmik F12SE in mind too.

I had asked my regular dealer, Mr. Kadam - Audiotec for a demo of the above subs in Mumbai, but he said that it may not be possible to arrange, maybe I guessed due to the ongoing covid situation or they may not be having those subs for a demo. Hence I had to partially rely on the below online reviews.

A long whatsapp call with the subwoofer expert, fm Prateek (ATAS) further directed the preference towards the Rel, as he too recommended the REL HT 1508 among the other contenders. Another forum member & friend Sijusid also was in favour of the REL as I was getting it a little cheaper than the SB 3000. I searched for Rel HT 1508 users on the net for first hand experience & stumbled upon James(Jim) from Avforums who had a pair of PB 2000 pro (a single sub would be similar sounding to the PC 2000) & also a pair of Rel HT 1508. I asked him how the Rel was in comparison with the SVS & would it give me the low end for movies which I had got used to thanks to the PC 2000. For music, I had a hunch that the Rel would do good for music knowing that Rel is more famous for its musical subs. His spontaneous personal preference was the Rel & recommended me to go for it without having any doubts about low end bass for movies . Pls don't get me wrong here, he liked the SVS too & both are good at what they do. Around that time, I also read about Aman's (adeepsandhu) positive impressions about the HT 1508 demo on the HFV forum. All these impressions cemented my preference for the Rel & I paid the amount to Mr. Kadam for the HT 1508. Although he was out of town, he saw to it that I got the sub before the lockdown in Mumbai & right enough it came on monday the day the lockdown was announced. I went for the 1508 over the 1205 as I doubted if the 1205 could match the PC 2000 for movies with a smaller cabinet & wanted to avoid buyers remorse. The HT 1508 sure was heavy on the pocket too for me as it was much more expensive than the PC 2000 by 40k. For me, the benchmark in my room was the PC 2000 as it was leagues ahead compared to the ones I had earlier which were pretty modest.

First impressions of the HT 1508

The package was delivered by a driver of the "Porter" company. After seeing the big package I thanked the almighty that I am blessed to be on the ground floor. But thought to myself that how come the company did not send another person to help him lift it unless he was doubling up as Clark Kent. It weighs 36 kgs. & in no way looks small especially in this video of John Hunter with it. I misjudged the size in the below link. It seems to be a mirage :)
The carton was quite big & the packaging was well done with the requiste protection. I had to help him to lift it to my place. On opening up the carton, the fresh & pleasant aroma of new stuff hits you on the face. There was a quick start guide, metal couplers to connect another HT 1508 when mounted & the power chord. I had to take my wife's help in removing it out of the carton & placing it on the wooden base. Once on the base, it could be moved in a relatively easier manner by moving the base.
Lookswise, it is beautiful which is offcourse subjective. The Glass plate with the REL logo on top, apart from the cosmetics doubles up with the purpose to dampen the vibrations to the cabinet as per Rel. The black brushed aluminium finish was what I liked the most. It looks dark grey sometimes due to the play of light. It looks like a faceplate of brushed metal gear. The best part is that it does not show fingerprints or dust easily. It would have been great if this finish was there on the entire top surface. It looks gorgeous & the images in the other thread does not do justice to it. The Grill is quite heavy. The subwoofer driver too looked good & different. In short, the overall finish & build quality is terrific.

Performance of the REL HT 1508 vs the SVS PC 2000

MUSIC IMPRESSIONS

English Tracks Played

1) God's gonna cut you down - Christian Larsson

2) Golden Brown - The Mariachis - The Strangers

3) No sanctuary here - Chris Jones

4) Color to the moon - Allan Taylor

5) Personal Jesus - Johnny Cash

6) Nick_Drake_Riverman

7) Twist_In_My_Sobriety - Tanita_Tikaram_

8) Bamboleo - Gypsy Kings

9) Rusty Cage - Christian Larsson

10) Makeba - Jain

Hindi Tracks Played

1) Agar Tum Saath Ho_Jubin Nautiyal

2) Nazm Nazm_Arijit

3) Pani Da Rang_Anshuman

4) Shubhaarambh-Kai Po Che

5) Zaalima_ Arijit Singh

6) Kabira_Rekha_Bhardwaj

7) BHUMBRO_ Shirley Setia

8) JAN_PEHECHAN_HO_Fotonovela_Remix_

9) Tujh Mein Rab Dikhta Hai_RoopKumar

Instrumental Tracks Played

1) DRUMANIA_Epic_Powerful_Drum

2) Ice Ice Baby_Instrumental

3) Pink_Panther_Instrumental_

4) Mystic_Soundscapes_Mountain_Om_Namo - Rahul Sharma

5) Instrumental Gayatri Mantra

6) Shiva_Tandava_Stotram

7) Mahadev_theme_music

The subwoofer gain knob for music was at around 10:30 position & the subwoofer level in the avr was at -4 db which was the same for the PC 2000. The crossover for the fronts in the receiver was set at 90 hz. For music, the HT 1508 sounded very nice to my ears. In comparison to the PC 2000, it sounded faster , tighter with no noticeable bass overhang. I found that it added a nice weight especially for the accoustic guitar which was lesser in the PC 2000. Listening to God's gonna cut you down was total bliss as the bass weight was perfect for my ears & had the desired impact. DRUMANIA_Epic_Powerful_Drum, JAN_PEHECHAN_HO_Fotonovela_Remix_ & Ice Ice Baby_Instrumental have heavy bass tracks. With the PC 2000, bass would be a bit more for my liking & had a overhang of low rumble. The Rel sounded tighter & no overhang of bass. The Rel blended better with the speakers for most of the tracks especially in the Instrumental Gayatri Mantra, "Nick_Drake_Riverman" & " God's gonna cut you down - Christian Larsson". The bass seemed to be locked at the center. For certain tracks, I could locate the sub because my fronts are wall mounted at a height of approx 9 feet & would be difficult for any single sub to blend perfectly unless if I would go for 2 subs which was out of the question due to shortage of space. For the "Bamboleo", Gypsy Kings track, I found in the past the previous subwoofers lacking in bass that adds that little weight to the track. The Rel gave that bass which kicks in a bit later after the beginning of the track. I could have increased the gain knob behind the PC 2000 or the sub level in the receiver in the past but I did not want to hear forced bass. In short my impressions from music point of view in comparison is that the Rel sounded better with more punch, faster for music with no audible overhang. It added more life to the tracks overall if you would call it musicality. The break in period is essential for it to play well as time goes by. For the serious music listeners, the Rel "T" & the "S" series may be more appropriate from the Rel stable. There are off course other brands too that may do a great job.

MOVIE IMPRESSIONS

We all like that thunder, explosions & tactile feel for movies. This is the area where I was skeptical whether the sealed HT 1508 would meet the standards set by the PC 2000. Honestly speaking, I was expecting around 80% performance for movies in comparison to the PC 2000 as the SVS is ported & the specs has it going down to 16 hz +- 3db. The REL is speced down to 21 hz - 6db which according to die hard movie fans wont be as impressive specs wise.

Movies Played

1) Underwater - Kristen Stewart
2) Jumanji- Next Level
3) Dr. Strange
4) Infinity Wars- End game
5) Uri
6) Shazam
7) Alita- battle Angel
8) Spiderman- Far from home
9) Nezha
10)Terminator - Dark fate
11)XMEN- Dark Phoenix

The fronts crossed at 90 hz, the center & surrounds at 110 hz, the subwoofer gain knob for movies was at 12:00 o clock position.
In the movie "Underwater" a few minutes into the beginning when the underwater station starts to explode, that scene has serious bass. The HT 1508 really hit out very hard at around 55% volume & I had to reduce the volume for the sake of the neighbouring flat. It hit me much harder than the PC 2000 at a similar volume that I am used to. The explosions were tight & hard hitting. The PC 2000 had sounded deeper with vibrations.

In Jumanji, you hear a thundering sound before the flock of Ostriches come in. Both the PC 2000 & the HT 1508 had similar impact with room shaking bass. Just before this the scene when Dwyane Johnson falls from the sky after losing his life by getting knocked by the Ostrich, I had felt that impact a little more in the PC2000 with the added vibrations.

In Dr. Strange, at the time of his car accident the impact was more impressive with the HT 1508. Even in the fight scene when Dr. Strange, Mordo & the ancient one are fighting against Kaecilius & his gang, the buildings turn with enormous bass rumble. In this scene also the HT 1508 excelled the PC2000 with more impact.

In Shazam, the bass was more impactful with the Rel in the end fight at the fair with Mark strong.

In spiderman - Far from home, the flooding scene has impressive bass. Especially when the bell hits spiderman, the bass is very impactful & tighter in Rel. I felt as if the bass hit me from the surround right speaker in perfect synch. Much later when the villain, "Mysterio" traps Spiderman in the illusion where green crystals & structures are falling all around him, both the Rel & the PC 2000 did great. Here I felt as if the PC 2000 had a slight edge when the ironman zombie comes out of the grave & when the statue falls with more thud & tactile feel.

In Terminator - Dark fate, the shot where the terminator catches up with Grace & Dani in the road chase to kill them. The shot cuts to Sarah Connor's foot stepping outside her vehicle & landing on the ground. On the HT 1508, that impact hits you very hard & shakes the room, much more than the PC 2000. The fight that follows later has a lot of bass effects too with tactile feel.

XMEN- Dark Phoenix has room shaking bass just after beginning when they go to rescue the crew on a damaged spaceship.

All the above mentioned movies had good bass effects in action shots which both these subs delivered with grace & ease in my room. But overall, I would say that the Rel was more impactful in most of the above mentioned movies with its hard hitting bass. The PC 2000 has a low end thunder like rumble.

Other minor observations of the HT 1508

1) While testing a low frequency sound track called "Halloweener" which starts with a very low frequency vibration where nothing is heard but only felt & goes to other higher frequencies, I noticed that the back panel where the controls are, vibrates a bit to the extent that you see the power light blur. This happens only with very heavy bass. I have emailed Rel twice & have got a ticket no. from their automated mail. 3 days have elapsed but no reply from them as yet & I am still waiting....... Would request the Subwoofer experts here with a query whether this kind of vibration is common in a sealed sub & is harmful to the sub or the amplifier components in any way. The sub is kept on a very heavy wooden base of 1.5 inches thickness where the PC 2000 use to be. I have seen the John Hunter Rel video where he suggests using Blue tack below the sub's feet when the floor level is uneven. I am not sure if that is the cause.

2) The glass plate on top will attract finger prints, dust & scratches over a period of time. Infact found few small minor hairline scratches just below the REL logo on opening up which is noticeable only at a certain angle.

3) The text on the rear control panel is a little hard to read since the base is grey & the text is white in colour. If the base is black & the text is white would have been easier to read due to the contrast. Luckily there are fewer controls so not much to locate behind.

4) The gain & low pass control knobs do not feel as good & premium as the SVS knobs. While turning the gain on the PC 2000, it felt more premium, solid & had a camera aperture like feedback. The gain knob on the Rel also gives feedback in very small increments but feels very light & not premium at this price range considering it is a flagship model.

5) The power chord does not feel premium like the SVS although both are chinese make.

6) The subwoofer looks much bigger in person & is heavy at 36 kilos. You need 2 people to lift it unless you want to take a risk with your back.

7) Wish it had a magnetic grill cover.

8) A proper paper comprehensive manual required which most of the companies skimp on these days to save on cost & expect you to download from the site & print it.

All the above points are definitely not a deal breaker for what it delivers & can be overlooked.

Conclusion

For me the Rel was the winner here for music & movies from a general performance point of view. It sounds good for music & hits you harder for movies, hence very versatile. The Overall volume levels have also decreased as compared to the PC 2000. Please don't get me wrong, the PC 2000 is also a great sub for the specs & price it was purchased for & I was very happy watching movies & listening to music on it. The PC 2000 will have more low end output & rumble as per its specs & being ported. The Rel HT 1508 is a much more expensive sub having a bigger driver & more amplification. Hence I had some level of expectations from it for music apart from the low frequency extension for movies in comparison to the PC 2000. I am extremely pleased with it. For those looking out for a sub in the SVS SB 3000, PB/PC 2000pro or Rythmik F12 SE range, would suggest to try hearing the HT 1508 too as the price of Rel in India is on par with the international pricing at this point in time.

For most of the generic movies with heavy bass as Jumanji, Avengers, Transformers, Kingkong, Godzilla etc, this Rel will do a fantastic job in delivering the impact & you may not crave for more bass except for the extreme bass heads. In fact Overall my volume level for music & movies has reduced further maybe due to the 15 inch driver & 800 watts rms amplification. I can't say about Edge of tomorrow since that bass was too much for me to bear when I had played the initial section on the PC 2000 at 55 % volume & had to turn the volume down.
The HT 1508 has exceeded my expectations on both fronts. Further fine tuning may go on for a while since the lockdown permits it :)
Nice and detailed review. Happy listening

I don't like this new movement to REL subs amongst FMs. Not too long ago, i was one of the select few and i don't like not being a part of the exclusive club any longer. @liverpool_for_life - we must try and get the FMs enmasse to audition some real subwoofers to know what real bass is all about and try and stop this mass exodus. A sub without good low frequency extension cannot equate to good bass. But forgive their transgressions, they do not know what they do or speak of.

Last edited:
An Update : A reply from Rel today regarding the rear panel vibrations I had noticed while playing low frequencies as listed in the observations, in the thread above . Luckily no loose bolts or screws in the rear panel. So it's normal with sealed subs I guess.
The 2nd query asked was, the power consumption of the sub at moderate volumes to help to decide the headroom required in the voltage stabilizer as in my case. I had mentioned them the wattage consumption of the gear used with the REL & the capacity of the stabilizer.

Rob Hunt (REL Acoustics)
Apr 26, 2021, 2:13 AM PDT
Hi there
The cabinet is not ported so there is a lot of pressure that builds up in the cabinet so you will feel cabinet resonance when playing at even moderate levels so i'm not surprised for you seeing this. To be sure, just make sure that none of the allen bolts are loose as it may be that they have not been tightened correctly during production - but i'm sure they are OK.

As for power consumption - i will have to see if this is something we have on and from the tram in the USA. All i can advise is that being a Class D amp, the draw will be a lot less that a class A/B and id be amazed if we were anywhere near what the Marantz will draw.

Last edited:
An Update : A reply from Rel today regarding the rear panel vibrations I had noticed while playing low frequencies as listed in the observations, in the thread above . Luckily no loose bolts or screws in the rear panel. So it's normal with sealed subs I guess.
The 2nd query asked was, the power consumption of the sub at moderate volumes to help to decide the headroom required in the voltage stabilizer as in my case. I had mentioned them the wattage consumption of the gear used with the REL & the capacity of the stabilizer.

Rob Hunt (REL Acoustics)
Apr 26, 2021, 2:13 AM PDT
Hi there
The cabinet is not ported so there is a lot of pressure that builds up in the cabinet so you will feel cabinet resonance when playing at even moderate levels so i'm not surprised for you seeing this. To be sure, just make sure that none of the allen bolts are loose as it may be that they have not been tightened correctly during production - but i'm sure they are OK.

As for power consumption - i will have to see if this is something we have on and from the tram in the USA. All i can advise is that being a Class D amp, the draw will be a lot less that a class A/B and id be amazed if we were anywhere near what the Marantz will draw.
Did you mention to them that it was stationed on a platform? Usually REL asks the sub to be stationed on the floor. See if it helps with the reverb. Just to make sure the coupling is good, push it down on the floor and use blue tack if necessary and even in situations where you don't feel it's not perfectly planted. I have noticed this cabinet rattle near the amp backplate recurring after a few months with heavy usage and i usually push it down (bit of blue tack applied on the front right and back left feet as the floor tile does not seem to be completely flat) and the problem is resolved immediately.

Did you mention to them that it was stationed on a platform? Usually REL asks the sub to be stationed on the floor. See if it helps with the reverb. Just to make sure the coupling is good, push it down on the floor and use blue tack if necessary and even in situations where you don't feel it's not perfectly planted. I have noticed this cabinet rattle near the amp backplate recurring after a few months with heavy usage and i usually push it down (bit of blue tack applied on the front right and back left feet as the floor tile does not seem to be completely flat) and the problem is resolved immediately.
Yes , I did mention to them & had emailed an image of the sub on the wooden base too. I did see the Blue tack video of John Hunter. But I don't see any gap between the sub's feet & the wooden base it rest on, plus the base is very firm on the floor. I may try keeping the sub directly on the floor one of these days when I feel my energy levels are high but that would mean another workout for me.:D

Yes , I did mention to them & had emailed an image of the sub on the wooden base too. I did see the Blue tack video of John Hunter. But I don't see any gap between the sub's feet & the wooden base it rest on, plus the base is very firm on the floor. I may try keeping the sub directly on the floor one of these days when I feel my energy levels are high but that would mean another workout for me.:D
Just to be doubly sure, try and rock it from side to side by applying pressure alternatively at opposite ends of the cabinet i.e. on top of the front left feet and back right feet. If you detect even a hint of a wobble, however infinitesimally small it may be, its not completely secure and enough to add that resonance. Having received the reply from Rob myself, I'm not entirely sure he's taken his time in trying to respond to the query by taking all details into consideration.

Thanks DB will surely try that, makes sense.
Also, The 1508 is extremely dynamic and concussive from what you've described as well as in John Hunter's own words so those sudden jolts may be sufficient to cause the platform to wobble as well unless it's extremely heavy.

Last edited:
An Update : A reply from Rel today regarding the rear panel vibrations I had noticed while playing low frequencies as listed in the observations, in the thread above . Luckily no loose bolts or screws in the rear panel.

The alternative is worse: That (as the reply from REL suggests) you will feel cabinet resonance even when playing at moderate volumes. How can the sub be used for HT duties if this is the expected behavior?

So it's normal with sealed subs I guess.

It's not normal with sealed subs.

It's not normal with sealed subs.
Rob Hunt (REL Acoustics)
Apr 26, 2021, 11:59 AM PDT
Hi there
I understand. We are on 240/60 in the UK.

All the subs undergo rigorous testing to make sure they can cope with the pressure. The top plate of the HT1508 is in fact an important part of the cabinet and even though the plate looks as if it just placed - it is about 14mm thick and goes deep into the cabinet to help brave and stiffen the cabinet

That was the Rel technical person's reply.
But anyways had checked with other tracks with normal bass, no cabinet resonance at all.
I have left it at that as I have had no issues with it so far. If REL is standing by their product, then I should not be worrying with their 5 year warranty covering it.

Last edited:
If there needs to be one, then it should ideally be done by a long time owner of a Rel sub which I am sure there are many:)

@Nitin K :- There is a question for you.... This is after I got the Rythmik F12 pre-owned and planning to add one more in coming months post covid stabilization.
The Rythmik F12s are so good in both the departments like literally they are perfect as sealed for Music and they have a bass with authority and also dig deep till mind boggling 14 Hz. Going deep is really important you know as it gives and makes you feel every movement of bass.
So I wondered why you went with REL that too sealed 15" by paying more when you have the proven Rythmiks in that department!

Is it something like 15" will give more thumping bass in higher ranges than 12" drivers ? Or some other factor ?

Hi Gamerps360,

That's a very valid question. Originally I had a small sub in mind which could be moved around easily by a single person & it should be good for music & movies too. The subs which came to my mind were the SVS SB 3000, Rythmik F12SE & both the Rel HT 1205 & 1508.
Since auditioning was not possible , I had to go by online reviews & most importantly by people who owned the particular model subwoofers. I had a decent idea of the SB 3000 with its fabulous phone app since a friend & FM Sijusid had heard & had strongly recommended it too. Coming to the Rel 1508 & the Rythmik F12 SE, another FM had heard the demo between both & preferred the 1508 over the F12 SE . It could be possible that the F12 SE sub may not have been setup properly by the showroom people. Unfortunately I could not get much user feedback of the smaller Rythmiks. Besides had read from FM's that the price of Rythmiks have increased. The price of one F12 is 1,50,800/- inclusive of gst & F12 SE should be more on the Avenue sound site . The HT 1508 came to Rs. 1,35,000/- with a bigger driver & more amplification.

I have been using the SVS PC 2000 since around 2.5 years & was quite familiar with its relatively deep extension maybe not as deep as the F12 but is rated to go down to 16 hz & being ported had strong output in the lower frequencies within its tuning point. Hence I had an expectation in mind for the future sub. Prateek's (ATAS) assurance about the Rel veered my choice towards it. Besides I was very lucky to find a user (James) who had a pair of SVS PB 2000 pro & a pair of Rel HT 1508 in his setup & who could relate to my expectation. His answer too was a confident one where I won't miss the deep extension too much & would like the HT 1508 for its overall performance. Frankly speaking I had the SVS & Rythmik as priority choices & then the REL as I too was skeptical whether it would do a good job for movies. For music, I had no doubt as Rel's are known for it. I had sent my queries even to Rel before buying.
I had also heard good reviews of the Rel HT series from the people who had reviewed the SVS & Rythmiks too. So I took my chances and went for the bigger HT 1508. I have absolutely no regrets so far & enjoying both movies & music with it. Although it's rated to go till 21 hz, it does go slightly below to the infrasonic region (not as much as the SVS I had) although I have no means of measuring it but I can feel it for certain tracks.
Although it is a sealed sub, but I guess the 15 inch driver & the 800 watts rms amplification makes up for it & gives a good punch in the mid bass region. In short good for both , the regular movies & music plus has a lot of power reserves for the room.

In your case two 12 inch F12 subs will supposedly have more impact than one HT 1508. All of the above are reputed companies & you cannot go wrong with any of them. Just wanted to get maximum vfm for my requirement.

Regards,
Nitin

Last edited:
@Nitin K : Curious to know if you considered going dual HT1205 when REL came under your radar.. they would be around 1.6L for a pair and despite not having enough low end extension as the 1508, going dual is always better is what I've heard

@Nitin K : Curious to know if you considered going dual HT1205 when REL came under your radar.. they would be around 1.6L for a pair and despite not having enough low end extension as the 1508, going dual is always better is what I've heard
Hi Ktks1,

I totally concur with your view of having 2 subs & their benefits. But I do not have the space for the 2nd sub at all. Hence I went for a good one within the budget. Besides I don't have to bother much about the bass for only one mlp as generally I am the only one who is listening for which one sub with decent amplification is ample & the bass too sounds good from that position.

Regards,
Nitin

Hi Gamerps360,

That's a very valid question. Originally I had a small sub in mind which could be moved around easily by a single person & it should be good for music & movies too. The subs which came to my mind were the SVS SB 3000, Rythmik F12SE & both the Rel HT 1205 & 1508.
Since auditioning was not possible , I had to go by online reviews & most importantly by people who owned the particular model subwoofers. I had a decent idea of the SB 3000 with its fabulous phone app since a friend & FM Sijusid had heard & had strongly recommended it too. Coming to the Rel 1508 & the Rythmik F12 SE, another FM had heard the demo between both & preferred the 1508 over the F12 SE . It could be possible that the F12 SE sub may not have been setup properly by the showroom people. Unfortunately I could not get much user feedback of the smaller Rythmiks. Besides had read from FM's that the price of Rythmiks have increased. The price of one F12 is 1,50,800/- inclusive of gst & F12 SE should be more on the Avenue sound site . The HT 1508 came to Rs. 1,35,000/- with a bigger driver & more amplification.

I have been using the SVS PC 2000 since around 2.5 years & was quite familiar with its relatively deep extension maybe not as deep as the F12 but is rated to go down to 16 hz & being ported had strong output in the lower frequencies within its tuning point. Hence I had an expectation in mind for the future sub. Prateek's (ATAS) assurance about the Rel veered my choice towards it. Besides I was very lucky to find a user (James) who had a pair of SVS PB 2000 pro & a pair of Rel HT 1508 in his setup & who could relate to my expectation. His answer too was a confident one where I won't miss the deep extension too much & would like the HT 1508 for its overall performance. Frankly speaking I had the SVS & Rythmik as priority choices & then the REL as I too was skeptical whether it would do a good job for movies. For music, I had no doubt as Rel's are known for it. I had sent my queries even to Rel before buying.
I had also heard good reviews of the Rel HT series from the people who had reviewed the SVS & Rythmiks too. So I took my chances and went for the bigger HT 1508. I have absolutely no regrets so far & enjoying both movies & music with it. Although it's rated to go till 21 hz, it does go slightly below to the infrasonic region (not as much as the SVS I had) although I have no means of measuring it but I can feel it for certain tracks.
Although it is a sealed sub, but I guess the 15 inch driver & the 800 watts rms amplification makes up for it & gives a good punch in the mid bass region. In short good for both , the regular movies & music plus has a lot of power reserves for the room.

In your case two 12 inch F12 subs will supposedly have more impact than one HT 1508. All of the above are reputed companies & you cannot go wrong with any of them. Just wanted to get maximum vfm for my requirement.

Regards,
Nitin

Yeah... nicely explained Nitin. That's what I also thought could be the reason for your switch but wanted to hear from you.
Rythmik price increase is another factor that cannot be ignored as well.
Have seen your numerous posts on how happy you were with PC 2000 in the classified as well, and it is indeed a great sub as I have its elder brother and i know what it is capable of (PC12 Plus.) Space issue is something we cannot ignore.

How much you paid for the REL 1508, Actually after your impression i was thinking of going with it. But then I also realized Rythmik Dual F12 will be best of both worlds and my New Home Theater room Dedicated is very small like 10X9X9. For these 12" should be sufficient.

How much you paid for the REL 1508, Actually after your impression i was thinking of going with it. But then I also realized Rythmik Dual F12 will be best of both worlds and my New Home Theater room Dedicated is very small like 10X9X9. For these 12" should be sufficient.
The room I am listening is 14ft L X 11 ft W X 11 ft H. Since you are very happy with the F12, better to go with them as satisfaction will be guaranteed & should be more than enough for your room size.

After using the 1508 for slightly over 2 months, my impressions of the sub is that it's fantastic & merges well with the other speakers for most of the tracks for the room size & for my tastes despite the fact that the front speakers are mounted quite high on the wall & with the given room anomalies. The "HT" prefix may be a bit misleading as it does well not only in the HT area but also very well in the music dept. too which is more of a priority for me. It's a hard hitting sub for movies & I certainly don't miss a ported one for the room.
The only issue is the glass top which though looks good but one needs to be very careful as it easily attracts scratches even though you may take utmost precaution.
I did experience Prince AV Concepts ( Rel dealer in Mumbai) good service when the center bolt of the bottom rail of the sub was loose & could not be bolted as the alignment was slightly off. Mr. Shiv promptly came to my place & fixed it in 10 mins. Meanwhile Rel UK was also keeping a tab that it got sorted so they are quite proactive.
The downside is that the price of the sub has gone up illogically in India during the month of may which does not make it a vfm proposition & there would be better options from other brands at the current rate.
I guess I was very lucky to get it at the earlier rate by narrowly missing the price hike.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back