Improving Movie Watching Experience

walterwhite

Hi,

Newbie in the world of sound, need help from you for my setup.

I am looking for enhanced movie experience by improving sound quality. Here are my specifications

1. Room : 11 x 11
  2. TV : 32 Inch 10 years old LG LED TV ( no plan to upgrade for a while )
  3. Budget : 75 K
  4. Primary purpose : Movie watching
  5. A movie buff and NOT an audiophile. Need immersive sound experience for my movie watching. I generally watch movies where sound quality is a key component to the experience. Example : War Movies ( Saving private Ryan, Dunkirk... ), Musicals ( La La Land... ) Action ( Mad Max, Matrix.... )
  6. Not in a hurry to build system overnight. I can spread it over months giving me more cash to spend.

Constraints :

1. I can only put equipment on a 6 feet x 1 feet table on which I have my TV placed or on floor next to it .
  2. No option to place speakers on the wall, so either they will stand on the ground or on the table ( next to TV )
  3. Equipment I can buy online or in Hyderabad.

Thanks for your suggestions !

Regards,
Walter

Hi Walter, welcome to the forum.. hope some of our experienced FMs will help you with suggestions. Meantime you can search with in the forum, there are lots of valuable suggestions for similar requirements..

Hi,

I am looking for enhanced movie experience by improving sound quality. Here are my specifications

5. A movie buff and NOT an audiophile. Need immersive sound experience for my movie watching. I generally watch movies where sound quality is a key component to the experience. Example : War Movies ( Saving private Ryan, Dunkirk... ), Musicals ( La La Land... ) Action ( Mad Max, Matrix.... )
  6. Not in a hurry to build system overnight. I can spread it over months giving me more cash to spend.

Constraints :

1. I can only put equipment on a 6 feet x 1 feet table on which I have my TV placed or on floor next to it .
  2. No option to place speakers on the wall, so either they will stand on the ground or on the table ( next to TV )

Regards,
Walter
Welcome,

First of all, a decent 7.x AVR alone will eat your budget. This is not to discourage you from pursuing this hobby. Just giving you an idea. Since most content nowadays are in Atmos, I suggest you to consider a 7.x setup.

I would suggest to get a Denon 3700 first. Save up a bit for some months. In the meanwhile audition different speakers.

If you're up for used speakers, there is a KEF Q150s for sale in our sale section. It can do LR ( Left, Right ) duty till you save up and get better front speakers, and move the 150s for surround once you get the new fronts.

Do check our different sections here in HFV.

You will be surprised with the amount of knowledge one can get.

All the best.​

Hi,

Constraints :

Regards,
Walter
Hi Welcome.
As you mentioned your budget is 75k you buy Denon 550 avr .
It is 5.1 or 5.2. Later you can upgrade to 7.2 avr.
Avr will cost you nearly 35 to 37k.
Buy Taga Harmony 607E or 606 5.0 speakers.
Both are nearly 35 to 40k . Later you can add subwoofer.
So with out sub avr and speaker package cost you nearly 75 to 78k.
With in your budget.
Or you can buy Elac cinema5 which is nearly
40k. Then also it is under your budget.
But my suggestion is go with Taga 607 speakers and later you can add sub.

I too am looking to start building a home theater without spending too much up front. Curious to know if one can one start building a home theater without a sub.

I too am looking to start building a home theater without spending too much up front. Curious to know if one can one start building a home theater without a sub.
Yes. Initially you can . Taking floorstandings as Land R.
Later you can add sub.
Or if need including sub in budget 5.1 package Elac cinema 5 is there.
But in my opinion Taga 607 package better than elac cinema5. Later one can add taga212se or 90 v.3 sub.

Very much can - a few of us if not most started like that. I started with an AVR + FS (Tannoys), then added a center, then the surrounds and subs came in last. Once the sub came in I could then use BS (I personally prefer sub + BS, not saying it is better, just a preference).

Welcome,

First of all, a decent 7.x AVR alone will eat your budget. This is not to discourage you from pursuing this hobby. Just giving you an idea. Since most content nowadays are in Atmos, I suggest you to consider a 7.x setup.

I would suggest to get a Denon 3700 first. Save up a bit for some months. In the meanwhile audition different speakers.

If you're up for used speakers, there is a KEF Q150s for sale in our sale section. It can do LR ( Left, Right ) duty till you save up and get better front speakers, and move the 150s for surround once you get the new fronts.

Do check our different sections here in HFV.

You will be surprised with the amount of knowledge one can get.

All the best.​
thanks a lot for your advice !

Hi Welcome.
As you mentioned your budget is 75k you buy Denon 550 avr .
It is 5.1 or 5.2. Later you can upgrade to 7.2 avr.
Avr will cost you nearly 35 to 37k.
Buy Taga Harmony 607E or 606 5.0 speakers.
Both are nearly 35 to 40k . Later you can add subwoofer.
So with out sub avr and speaker package cost you nearly 75 to 78k.
With in your budget.
Or you can buy Elac cinema5 which is nearly
40k. Then also it is under your budget.
But my suggestion is go with Taga 607 speakers and later you can add sub.
thanks a ton !

Very much can - a few of us if not most started like that. I started with an AVR + FS (Tannoys), then added a center, then the surrounds and subs came in last. Once the sub came in I could then use BS (I personally prefer sub + BS, not saying it is better, just a preference).
Thanks for the advise. I have 2 BSs and 2 surrounds. I want to add slowly. Can i buy in this order? AVR, then Center, then Sub? I dont have space for FSs.

Thanks for the advise. I have 2 BSs and 2 surrounds. I want to add slowly. Can i buy in this order? AVR, then Center, then Sub? I dont have space for FSs.
Sure why not, sounds good :) add in the order most convenient.

Hi,

Constraints :

Regards,
Walter
Make the spread over years rather than months to truly benefit yourself in the longer run. Buy second hand if required, to get the initial experience and upgrade as needed. A second hand AVR is not going to cost the moon, same for centre speakers.

If possible, buy the AVR, sub and then the centre. When the sub is installed into the system, you can take advantage of the bass management available in the AVR. Also, you will see an immediate difference in movies with a sub in place. The front left and right speakers will do a decent job of creating a phantom centre until you get the centre channel.

For a 11 X 11' room I would suggest for a 5.X setup. 7 will be like cramping the room with speakers. Your viewing distance will be max 9'. Go for smaller speakers and preferably two 8 or 10" Inch subwoofers

Hi,

Constraints :

Regards,
Walter
First up only, I will wish you a great journey, Walter bhai.
You are on the right path. From the 9 points you have mentioned, I'd personally suggest the following progressions at 60K each step:
1. First 60K/120K = a good AVR that can output at least 7/9 channels. You haven't mentioned if you want ambient/height sounds, but from your movie preferences, you will be jumping on your couch and clapping if it is possible for you to do atmos. Else, go for 7 channel AVR.

2. Second 60K for a pair of good bookshelf speakers - a great range out there from 20K to 60K (Do go listen to the Klipsch RP-600M and the KEFs, which will fall on the top end of this) These will be your most important investment, as they will follow you wherever you go in this journey -- you can keep them as fronts forever and forever, or you can move them to be your surrounds later if you choose to upgrade your fronts. Since you are in Hyderabad, you have a lot of options.

3. Again from movies mentioned, you definitely will love a sub :D This too can be done well in 60K.

Start with these iterations, and trust me your sound will make you want to move to a bigger LG soon :)

The rest can come later, whenever it is convenient for you.
Cheers

Not in a hurry to build system overnight. I can spread it over months giving me more cash to spend.
Good.

If you can wait and raise another 75k, you can build something nice and something that will last.
For 75K, all you can do is get a Denon 250BT receiver and pair it with a few Micca speakers. It will get you started on some decent surround sound. You budget will allow a front, center and surround. You will have to delay a sub woofer.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back