In a budget of 10 to 15k for drivers alone, what's the best sounding stereo speakers we can build ???

Hi guys... For around 15k, we can buy Boston acoustics A26 or Taga Platinum One. For around 12k we can buy Taga S90SL.

BA26 are bass heavy, while Taga Platinum has excellent clarity and resolution @ that price.

Any way... In a similar budget of 10 to 15k (for drivers and crossovers alone ) what is the best sounding stereo speakers we can build ???

Can you help me choose drivers and tweeters please?

I'm open to all options .... A single FR per channel ....or a tweeter + Bass driver ....or a FR+ Bass driver.... Any combination is fine.

IL spend extra money for wood and labour.

But for drivers and crossovers, I have to limit under 10k or 15k max. Because some good products are already available in market.
We have to build something better in that budget.
Availability of drivers is a huge problem.
Any suggestions will be a great help.!!!

Thanks in advance
Naveen

At 15k price point, I believe one of the best options could be Markaudio Alpair 7s. Just build a pensil box for them and I believe youl'll be amazed.

One more thing, if you love bass, then sub support is a must. For affordable sub drivers you may look at tymphany or iwai sub drivers.

At 15k price point, I believe one of the best options could be Markaudio Alpair 7s. Just build a pensil box for them and I believe youl'll be amazed.

One more thing, if you love bass, then sub support is a must. For affordable sub drivers you may look at tymphany or iwai sub drivers.
Thank you... Il check these Markaudio Alpair 7s. I have been using 12" Iwai sub, and placed order for two 10"

@naveen, do look at the whole picture instead of obsessing over drivers alone. Eventually you need to put them in boxes with cross over components. One may have very fine drivers but the overall speaker design matters more. We enthusiasts can learn to design speakers for fun and build them but it is such an art (and science) that is difficult to master. At best we will come up with something decent sounding. Do look at speaker kits by well-known speaker designers. They've been through the grind and what they offer are usually very good sounding speakers. My opinion, of course.

Naveen, IMO speaker design is as much art than its science. You will really need to evolve yourself in each of your design. Doing scientific analysis and measurements, subjective listening of other designs, help you in that evolution faster. Do not go only by the driver specs, looks, price. There is more to the speaker design than that. Try to get as much information first before building. Before buying any driver, try simulating the boxes and the crossover. Only after it falls in the schemes of things go ahead and purchase the driver. Else you spent loads of money and you could be disappointed with the end result.

Just my 2 paise.

Completely agree with Hari.

After one puts together a speaker after following the available scientific rigour and methods, one still needs to tune it by ears and that's what separates also-runs from great speakers.

One quick info. There are loads of enclosure designs available for Markaudio drivers. No need to re-invent the wheel. If you don't need your custom design, just pick up any well known design from internet, grab a good carpenter and you'll be set. The crossover is bit tricky and needs time to master. The easiest solution is to go for active setup if budget permits.

dear Hari & Jls001

I understood the spirit of your suggestion. :)
My recent learning is that even high end speakers may not always use expensive drivers.
Cabinet and crossover design make all the difference. And they spend lot of time and research on overall design. Drivers is only a part of it. Hope im right.

To put it very simple... all im trying to do is to build a simple speaker, that sounds reasonably good in a budget.

I learned some very basic simulation on cabinet size (still learning). My friend can help with crossover design.
The only missing link for me is the drivers, and their ts parameters and their availability in a budget.
That is where im stuck right now. So im seeking suggestions on tried and tested drivers from seniors.

If i get some suggestions on drivers, and most importantly if they are available in market, then I can sit and do some exercise on enclosure design.

I already lost some money, scrapped two pairs of cabinets, wasted time and efforts. just because i did some things in hurry without proper planning :D:D (I know you are warning me with your experience)
Thanks a lot for that .... :):)

:D:D understood ... and you are right too ... !!
in this particular project i am not going to deviate in terms of budget.
I will build something under 10-15k for drivers period.

Later on... I may build something expensive too ... I can't say that now ...
Its ok if you feel this is not the right platform to share that info .... I understand ur point ... :):)

I have KEF B200 drivers for a DIY TL project. Couldn't get time due to office constrsints. I'm willing to ship it to you. Try it out and if you like them, then you can pay an amount that you think is befitting.

slim pencil design would be perfect. My space is limited. slim towers are better. where we can get these in India??

I hope you don’t end up with buying loads of drivers and then getting confused over cabinet designs.

You should plan from start to finish on a design which involves drivers within your reach and budget and then place order for the parts.
I'm already in that crisis. Have a two pairs of 5.25" and 8" drivers. Enclosures are nearly done. But till now I used only Iwai and Ahuja drivers.

Curious to build and compare how other drivers sound. Did some failed attempts to buy Beyma and Faitalpro drivers. Stocks not available or only bulk buy possible. Drivers available online don't have ts parameters.

That's the reason for all this circus :D:D:D

Thanks a lot for so many suggestions. Learned many things and came to know new drivers, and new websites from this thread. Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences :):)

IL study all these drivers, check their availability, and assess what I can do, and what I can't. This time, I will control myself without rushing ;):D

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back