In a Dilema Need quick advice

one man's music is another man's noise likewise one man's silence is still another man's noise.

I too face a similar problem from one particular neighbor only. what % of volume control do you play at ?

cyber-cat the volume control is moreor less below 10 o clock i just wonder what this guy would do if i increase it so say 12 o clock :eek:hyeah:

Can't comment on the technical aspects as I have no idea.

In which city do you live by the way?

I will tell you a thing or two about my own experiences. Even though I live in an independent house, I have many neighbours in close proximity. The ones who are a hassle are generally the ones who own their own dwellings. The folks on rent usually never bother.

First thing is that generally no matter how any neighbour puts a matter across, it will come across to you as harsh. I had a neighbour complain about my music too. Like you, I too play music whenever I am in the mood and that happens once a while and never at night.

At first, I used to get really worked up whenever a neighbour complained. Then there was this phase many years ago when more than one neighbour started complaining about all sorts of silly things such as bursting firecrackers (not crackers but the other stuff) during Diwali, trimming my creepers, putting fertilizer in my garden, etc. I finally realized that I am encouraging their behavior by listening patiently to them.

Finally I got fed up and so I started telling them that I am not going to do a thing, they can complain to whoever they want. This has worked really well and no-one complains any more.

Fact is, there are people who complain unnecessarily without rhyme or reason. The neighbour who complains about my music has a husband who plays Hindi oldies really loud. I often think about complaining but don't because I enjoy the music. Similarly, the one who complains about crackers burst crackers right in front of my house. I sometimes think, what a bunch of hypocrites these people are.

Now the other thing to note is that, sound does travel really far. Fact is even my TV can be heard on the street at times. But I generally think the one that troubles everyone is bass especially the type that shakes the windows of other people's homes. I am not sure if your bass travels all the way to the other building and rattles his windows. As for him not being able to hear anything, you may need to either move your stuff to a distant room if you have that option or spend a lot of money to sound proof your room.

A final option: Have you considered headphones? They will be a lot cheaper than soundproofing. :)

Nowwhat same cist as you are in :)

I guess soundproofing the doors to my balconey seems to be the only option at this point of time.

I am not the headphones kinda guy and after investing $$$ in setting up a dedicated Stereo system I do really want to be able to enjoy the music.

So any cheap options of sound proofing my doors ? :)

I guess soundproofing the doors to my balconey seems to be the only option at this point of time.

I am not the headphones kinda guy and after investing $$$ in setting up a dedicated Stereo system I do really want to be able to enjoy the music.

Didn't you tell him to "Swalpa adjust maadi?" :)

In namma Bengaluru, no one will take action unless you are playing loud after say 11:00 pm.

That aside, I think if you only have a glass door to the balcony as your only opening then you should consider sealing it properly. I reckon if you stop
the movement of air completely (climate proof the room), that would stop the sound from escaping as sound travels as variations in pressure.

I have seen aluminium sliding doors with rubber seals that stop sound completely. You can even consider double aluminium doors.

With wood, it would be an uphill task as there are gaps between wood and between the wood and glass. The glass also sometimes resonates and transfers the sound. If you find something for wood. let me know as I would also be interested.

Get fenesta sound proof glass doors. Am sure you even get em in one way direction view. Sound will travel across horizontally but get blocked towards your upstairs or downstairs neighbour generally since there's concrete in between but nothing to block between you and your facing neighbour. Especially since your hall opens out into your veranda. I plan to get soundproofing doors and windows when I shift house sometime next year. Both to block going out as well as an annoying neighbour if there is one. Much as I like music it should not annoy a neighbour. I'd be annoyed too with loud sounds from a neighbors house. I hate people who think that just cos they're listening to something everyone should quietly listen along too. Worse is loudmouths who carry on conversations as if talking to the whole world or those who can't shut their kids up beyond a decent time at night. Been through it shudder...

Keep the peace :)

Regards

Edit: It's great that you're actually taking steps to solve the issue and not continuing playing and disregarding the neighbour.

Last edited:
Core its Acurus A250/L10 Power/Pre combo with Polk RTI A9 speakers

Oh yeah now I remember you! I forgot your username haha.

Eitherways this is just more proof that it's time to sell your a9's and look for a near field speaker to enjoy sound that does not leave the room.

Maybe sell the a9's and look into a high end pair of bookshelves?

Such a big sacrifice for a measly neighbour? :mad: ....

a one ...
- who does not even stay in the same building !?
- when there are no complaints from anyone else, even the guys staying below or bang opposite/adjacent on the same floor .. !?

Right time to make use of the 'neighbour of your fore-finger'!

What about facing the speakers away from the verandah rather than towards them?

And fenesta windows are damn expensive. Specially the double glass ones which are meant to be truly soundproof. I recently got one done which is 5x7 feet and it costed me 21k. In this one one panel is fixed to save cost and the windows are white and not the special paint that they put to save cost again. You can apply that to your size to get some idea. Mines are openable, if they are sliding they will cost more. But openable windows ate also better at insulating sound although cheaper.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

That's not the only reason, I recall olly mentioning he's not entirely happy with the a9's but that was several months ago. Probably more comfortable with it now.

Get an spl meter or use a smartphone app to get an idea of what kind of levels you are listening at. You can share that on this thread.

Good advice. Use the SPL one meter outside your window and check if it is at disturbing levels. (Caveat: May require spiderman stunts) :)

First find out if the neighbor has a genuine reason. Ex: Child studying in 10th or 12th standard. If not just a get a doorbell switch wired next to your bed (so you can turn it off for a siesta as well) so that the neighbor cannot ring your doorbell when you decide you want a serious listening session. Also start ignoring his calls during listening sessions.

HTH
--G0bble

Oh yeah now I remember you! I forgot your username haha.

Eitherways this is just more proof that it's time to sell your a9's and look for a near field speaker to enjoy sound that does not leave the room.

Maybe sell the a9's and look into a high end pair of bookshelves?

Well sure will but in good time :)

That's not the only reason, I recall olly mentioning he's not entirely happy with the a9's but that was several months ago. Probably more comfortable with it now.

corElement the 3312 did not do justice to the A9 but with the pre power combo the speakers are singing. And I do like the sound how ever I now have the new problem of this neighbour :)

Last edited:
Get hold of a SPL Meter from the electronics market. They come for Rs 4-5k or better borrow one off the Audiophile community in Bangalore.

Set to C-weighing & see what levels you're doing. Put some of those readings here on this thread & lets work from there.

What about facing the speakers away from the verandah rather than towards them?

And fenesta windows are damn expensive. Specially the double glass ones which are meant to be truly soundproof. I recently got one done which is 5x7 feet and it costed me 21k. In this one one panel is fixed to save cost and the windows are white and not the special paint that they put to save cost again. You can apply that to your size to get some idea. Mines are openable, if they are sliding they will cost more. But openable windows ate also better at insulating sound although cheaper.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Wow surely not cheap but if it serves dual purpose of blocking sounds from both ends then I think its worth taking a look at it

Didn't you tell him to "Swalpa adjust maadi?" :)

In namma Bengaluru, no one will take action unless you are playing loud after say 11:00 pm.

That aside, I think if you only have a glass door to the balcony as your only opening then you should consider sealing it properly. I reckon if you stop
the movement of air completely (climate proof the room), that would stop the sound from escaping as sound travels as variations in pressure.

I have seen aluminium sliding doors with rubber seals that stop sound completely. You can even consider double aluminium doors.

With wood, it would be an uphill task as there are gaps between wood and between the wood and glass. The glass also sometimes resonates and transfers the sound. If you find something for wood. let me know as I would also be interested.

If this dude was all about adjust madi then i wouldnt have started this thread :eek:hyeah: But thanks for the advise. Will surely have to do something quick. And besides the balcony i need to sound proof too additional doors to other rooms. Not sure how this will impact the over wall acoustics of the hall. For now i have not done anything special to improve the room acoustics and believe me it sounds really good with no booming effect

Get hold of a SPL Meter from the electronics market. They come for Rs 4-5k or better borrow one off the Audiophile community in Bangalore.

Set to C-weighing & see what levels you're doing. Put some of those readings here on this thread & lets work from there.

I think I've seen SPL meters on android phones - they come cheap maybe free?

--G

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back