In a dilemma with 26" Series T Bravia

frnd08

Okay I had bought this KLV26T400A, around 2-3 years back when it was quite popular as a decent LCD. Things have however changed a lot and I currently feel inclined to rethink. When I bought it I never thought about the presence of a single HDMI port, was too crazy about getting my first HD tele :)

Now of course as technologies grow, it has become more of a need to go for an HDMI switcher. However, this thing costs like 10 grands, now if I had to spend that much, I would rather get a spanky new LCD for 30K.

Really in a dilemma and would really appreciate a response from you guys. Thanks.

This all depends upon a number of things:

1. If you have an AVR, that will act as the switch and you need only one HDMI going to the TV.

2. How many HDMI inputs sources you have. For now things like cable/sat can be sent to the TV through composite/component connections. For HD to become popular and mainstream in India, it will take another 1 year at least.

3. How much money you are willing to spend. Rather than look at size, I would also look at a jump in technology. In my opinion, it does make sense to go for a FullHD TV.

4. Of course, your usage pattern. If you watch movies seriously, you do have to indulge in yourself.

Cheers

This all depends upon a number of things:

1. If you have an AVR, that will act as the switch and you need only one HDMI going to the TV.

2. How many HDMI inputs sources you have. For now things like cable/sat can be sent to the TV through composite/component connections. For HD to become popular and mainstream in India, it will take another 1 year at least.

3. How much money you are willing to spend. Rather than look at size, I would also look at a jump in technology. In my opinion, it does make sense to go for a FullHD TV.

4. Of course, your usage pattern. If you watch movies seriously, you do have to indulge in yourself.

Cheers

thanks for the reply.

i'm more video inclined than audio. so i'm pretty much happy with 2 channel audio through 5.1 speakers which i'm using right now.

i am currently using tata sky plus and lg dv388. the former i connect using component cables and the latter using hdmi. bow with tata sky launching hd and the prospects of an hd dvr soon, i'll have to upgrade my tele. now i'm looking to buy 32" full hd. anything larger is not gonna "fit" in my apartment, just have too many things i cant throw away. after giving it some thought last night, i'm willing to wait it out till tata sky hd dvr is launched. coz if i buy anything now, i'd again be stuck with "old technology". just a query, does LED really make all the difference for a 32" tele compared to LCD?

no edge led lcds doesn't make any difference,except for upper mid & high end ones.
I don't think TS will launch HD-pvr until they get good amount of hd channels.

just a query, does LED really make all the difference for a 32" tele compared to LCD?

LEDs are actually a subset of LCDs. LCDs use convention cathode flourescent lamps (CCFL) to illuminate the panels. LCDs use tiny light emitting diodes. LEDs also use one of two technologies for lighting - rear and edge lighting. Rear or backlit lighting with local dimming allow them to have very deep blacks and thereby better contrasts. Edge lighting dies no support very deep blacks but allow for the panels to be very thin.

Another advantage is that edge lit LEDs consume lesser energy - as much as 40% less than an LCD. But backlit LCDs actually consume more power tham LCDs.

With fast moving video, both LED and LCDs are equal. These are controlled by refresh timings and response timings.

LCDs may have better longevity but the advantage is small over 100,000 hours.

Cheers

Now of course as technologies grow, it has become more of a need to go for an HDMI switcher. However, this thing costs like 10 grands, now if I had to spend that much, I would rather get a spanky new LCD for 30K.
Thanks.

HDMI switcher (4 inputs/ 1 output) should be available for around Rs. 3.5K. If you are interested I can check the correct prices for you. With or w/o remote.

Here's something on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.in/NEW-HDMI-SWITCHER-SELECTOR-5-1-OUT-REMOTE-/360143059465?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item53da32fa09

Last edited:
Edge lighting dies no support very deep blacks but allow for the panels to be very thin.

Actually EDGE led does give deep blacks,as i mentioned in my previous post the upper mid to high end edge LED lcds can give deeper blacks .Some tvs can do either row or column wise dimming like the the sony LX and HX800.

Tvs like HX900 ,LG 8500/9500 can do full local dimming even and are thin due.

Have a look a this video from AVFORUMS of the sony lcds where the sony representative explains quite clearly about their types of dimming and other stuff in their tvs.
YouTube - CES 2010 - Sony BRAVIA TV range for 2010 HX, LX and NX

HDMI switcher (4 inputs/ 1 output) should be available for around Rs. 3.5K. If you are interested I can check the correct prices for you. With or w/o remote.

Here's something on Ebay: eBay India: NEW HDMI SWITCHER / SELECTOR - 5 IN 1 OUT+ REMOTE (item 360143059465 end time 22-Jun-2010 17:04:22 IST)

hey thanks man! btw just want to know something. my LCD has 1 HDMI, 1 Component and 1 RCA (composite) input for video, now each of them is represented by different mode on the LCD thereby enabling me to have different picture settings for each of the different modes. Hence it reduces the hassles of me having to reconfigure my pic settings to suit the source. if i buy an hdmi switcher, will each extra port/hdmi input correspond to a different mode? if not it doesnt make much sense to buy one to be honest, coz then i'd have to change pic settings everytime i switch source.

plz clarify. i havent used hdmi switchers before, so pretty much naive when it comes to it.

hey thanks man! btw just want to know something. my LCD has 1 HDMI, 1 Component and 1 RCA (composite) input for video, now each of them is represented by different mode on the LCD thereby enabling me to have different picture settings for each of the different modes. Hence it reduces the hassles of me having to reconfigure my pic settings to suit the source. if i buy an hdmi switcher, will each extra port/hdmi input correspond to a different mode? if not it doesnt make much sense to buy one to be honest, coz then i'd have to change pic settings everytime i switch source.

plz clarify. i havent used hdmi switchers before, so pretty much naive when it comes to it.

You have a valid point here. The picture/ audio settings for the HDMI input is done on the TV. So same settings will remain for all the sources when connected through switcher.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back