In for a LED/Plasma from a 21inch CRT

kunwar.g

In for a 42' LED/Plasma from a 21inch CRT

Need to upgrade to a LCD/Plasma after being on a 21inch CRT Samsung since 8 yrs:yahoo:.

The things that are important to me are as below in the order of priority

1. Picture Quality
2. Full HD (I might be wrong in my information but how much difference will it be in terms of clarity with HD vs Full HD, I usually have movies in 1080P format, would watching it on HD TV reduce the picture quality to be noticeable)
3. Reliability
4. Sound
5. Connectivity ( should be able to play movies from a 500GB External HDD, else atleast from a Pendrive )
6. Easy Menu Navigation ( have old parents staying with me, so would be easier for them )

3D and Smart features is not required at all. But if there 3D would rate over Smart features. Have PC, Ipad, Smartphone to do all the internet work.

Now coming to the point. I am willing to go with Plasma but not sure which all models are available in Gurgaon Area.

Imp points to consider

Budget within 55K
Viewing distance is going to be 7.5-9 ft. If sitting on the edge of the bed it will be going to be 3 ft only
Viewing angle would between 0-10 degree at max

Basis above I think the max I should be going is 42 inch. Considering that everyone has a weak eye in the family dont want to go bigger. Also, after 1.5 yrs will shift to own house and there the viewing distance is going to be 10.5 ft, so don't want to go lower than 42inch

When visited Croma I was made to look at only Sony options by the salesgirl and the model were KDL-32R402A ( Rs 30900.00) and KLV-40R452 ( Rs 56900.00 ). Didnt do a lot of demo as was in a hurry, but plan to go back to do it properly

Plz help and suggest some good options basis the requirement and budget.

Ooh and 1 more thing. This is my first post. Hi to all, since 2 days have been reading so many post here that I am utterly confused now and hence looking for some direct reply :)

Last edited:
Anyway here is the update
Visited Reliance Digital and Jumbo Electronics
Entry to Reliance and 1st stall was of Panasonic with over 15 TV on display but not a sole. Basis the prices mentioned all were looking attractive.

Panasonic 32EM5D - Rs 21743
Panasonic 32X50D - Rs 23176
Panasonic 32E5D - Rs 26243
Panasonic 42E5D - Rs 45098
Panasonic 50XT50 - Rs 48750 ( Plasma )
Panasonic 50X60D - Rs 56948 ( Plasma )
Panasonic 42DT50D - Rs 62175 ( over my budget )

Later got to know that they done have any stock in Panasonic and only have display pieces. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Since these are very old models

Then went on to view various models from LG and Sony

Did comparison of LG Plasma (42LN4500) vs LG LED and though the color of Plasma looked better ( specially skin color ) did find that even at a distance of 6-7 ft there as blurring of texts on screen. The text on LED were clear and easy to read whereas the same on Plasma was smugged. The content were same on both, but just that the adjacent LED to the Plasma were of the higher version ( read expensive - over 80K)

LG 42LN4500 - Rs 38000
LG 42LN5400 - Rs 56000

Then visited Jumbo and had a detailed review there

LG Plasma (42LN4500) vs LG LED 3D (42LA6200). Definetily the same finding as above. The text was really smugged, but if you leave that our the warm tones were better on Plasma. Again when the overall or over 30% of screen was showing white content there was clear difference. Plasma white was washed out where as the one on LED was clear white. Could it be cause of the much better processor of a 3D version TV ?

Got the best price for LG as below :clapping:

LG 42LN4500 - Rs 34500
LG 42LN5400 - Rs 49200

While comparing Sony vs LG the salesguy pointed to a observation- while viewing from an angle the Sony display was showing more of white bright light but the LG was retaining its color ( think that is cause of the IPS Panel )

What do you guys suggest ?

Go for any with extended warranty.Have a look in to plasma threads to know more about them.At the entry level not much difference between many brands.Get a 42 inch minimum.Lg is a good choice

After many visit many shops in Gurgaon found only the Panasonic Dealer guy having 1 Plasma in the 42inch range. It's the TH42UT50D ( Full HD, 3D, Web Browser, Wi-Fi ready ) for Rs 58000.00 along with 3 yr warranty and 2 3D Glasses. He had only 1 unit and that was on display. The BSP on it was 63990 and MRP was 75K. . I could not check the hours it has been used for. The condition as clean. Think the price is high on this one. Online show that this unit as sold for approx 57K while it was in stock. Basis that how much should I bargain it for ?

Above all is it a nice TV

Also getting the Panasonic TH42E6D from another store and he will be backdate the bill and get me 3 year warranty ( but this is only available till 31st Dec 2013 ) for Rs 56000.00.
Same offer with TH42ET5D ( with 4 3d Glasses ) for Rs 63,000.00

Last edited:
Re: In for a 42' LED/Plasma from a 21inch CRT

Finally took better half to do final selection and we finalised on Panasonic 40UT50D with 3 yr warranty. Was paid for on 31-12-2013. Was delivered and installed on 1-1-14. Working great.

Connected to WiFi router and updated firmware, so now its Smart Functions are working great.

3D is working great. Think this has already made us change our preference to watch movies in 3D. :).

It also has swip and share feature. 2 HDMI, 2 USB, 1 AV Input, 1 Optical Audio Out, 1 Eternet, 1 PC Input, 1 SD card, 1 Headphone. What else is required. Really wanted the headphone connector, night viewing with kid sleeping is possible now.

I have an IPTV connection with SD channels and viewing from 7 ft, there is no necessity to upgrade to HD.

Good choice, how much did you pay ? It's 42UT50D and it's 2012 model which I didn't get even after waiting for 2 weeks.

Good choice, how much did you pay ? It's 42UT50D and it's 2012 model which I didn't get even after waiting for 2 weeks.

54K. Yup getting a 42inch plasma was almost impossible. Checked dealers and shopa in Delhi and Gurgaon. Almost 30 of them and found it only with this Panasonic Only Dealer in GGN.

Why don't you try Sony they have amazing quality and the color schema is great. You will have nice experience with this as they are having a good sound quality as well.

Why don't you try Sony they have amazing quality and the color schema is great. You will have nice experience with this as they are having a good sound quality as well.

I did, actually the first set of TVs reviewed were from Sony. But viewing angle issue, expensive parts ( if anything goes wrong after the 1 yr warranty) and initial cost for features provided were reasons to look at other options. If had not got the Plasma 42 inch with FullHD then would have gome for LG LED TV as they have IPS Panel,more ports and lower price.

I think you've made the right decision but make sure the model that they're offering is not a demo unit. If it is then lower the price to 49-50K. Are you getting 3-years warranty ?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back