In Search for 5 Channel Amplifier

gillieee

I am having below system.

1. Denon AVC X4700H 9.2 Channel (Dolby Atmos)
2. Yamaha NS-777 Towers for FR/FL (100W to 250W)
3. Yamaha NS-C444 Center Channel (100W to 250W)
4. QAcoustics 3010i Back Surround (50W to 125W)
5. Atmos Speakers (Old Yamaha NS-P51 4nos) (30W to 100W)
6. Taga Harmony TSW 212-SE Sub Woofer

I am planning to have this 5 Channel Amplifier for FR, FL, CC, RL & RR (this is purely my assumption) I am happy and open for advise. Please suggest me a best Amplifier below 1.5Lakh (INR).

I am open for advise on any change of speakers I listed for using Amplifier, best configuration.

The above configuration, I have made it very recent (Jan 2023), so there will be no upgrades for next 5 years down the line. So please do not comment that I have made any wrong purchase, because all of the above were purchased on my budget.

I have an old Benq Projector, also planning to switch over to 4K projector. I am open for suggestions too. Please advise. (Budget < 1.5L)

I am currently using a DIY ALR Screen, looking for fixed frame 120", Amazon sells BigVue, I am not sure whether it is good or bad. Please share your views on the screens too. (Budget < 50K)

I am planning to have this 5 Channel Amplifier for FR, FL, CC, RL & RR (this is purely my assumption) I am happy and open for advise. Please suggest me a best Amplifier below 1.5Lakh (INR).

I am open for advise on any change of speakers I listed for using Amplifier, best configuration.

The above configuration, I have made it very recent (Jan 2023), so there will be no upgrades for next 5 years down the line. So please do not comment that I have made any wrong purchase, because all of the above were purchased on my budget.

I have an old Benq Projector, also planning to switch over to 4K projector. I am open for suggestions too. Please advise. (Budget < 1.5L)

I am currently using a DIY ALR Screen, looking for fixed frame 120", Amazon sells BigVue, I am not sure whether it is good or bad. Please share your views on the screens too. (Budget < 50K)

I assume you are looking for a decent 5 channel power amplifier. The current AVR you have should be able to seamless drive the speakers you have. Is there a challenge in output? Audyssey setup done properly? Sometimes Audyssey sets conservative levels for the speakers. By referrring to the owners manual, you can adjust the levels once calibration is done. You can increase the levels of every speaker by 1db and check if it suits your expectations. Once levels are increased, check the output of the AVR in terms of the levels you usually playback music or movies. If still you find it low, increase the levels again for all speakers by 1db and check.

PLEASE NOTE: Depending on the specs of the speakers you have connected, increased the levels cautiously. Dont see any challenges for the Fronts, Center & Surrounds but you need to be careful for the speakers used for Atmos.

If still after doing all this, you are not satisfied then you can look at various Power amps available like Emotiva etc.

Nothing is futureproof. Electronics keep changing with new features and demands. Sooner or later depending on your requirements, you may want to upgrade so invest appropriately in order to get fair value back for what you have.

All the best!

Go with emotiva bas x series .they have 2'35&7 ch .fits well with in your budget.
3 ch is 70
7 ch is 88

I assume you are looking for a decent 5 channel power amplifier. The current AVR you have should be able to seamless drive the speakers you have. Is there a challenge in output? Audyssey setup done properly? Sometimes Audyssey sets conservative levels for the speakers. By referrring to the owners manual, you can adjust the levels once calibration is done. You can increase the levels of every speaker by 1db and check if it suits your expectations. Once levels are increased, check the output of the AVR in terms of the levels you usually playback music or movies. If still you find it low, increase the levels again for all speakers by 1db and check.

PLEASE NOTE: Depending on the specs of the speakers you have connected, increased the levels cautiously. Dont see any challenges for the Fronts, Center & Surrounds but you need to be careful for the speakers used for Atmos.

If still after doing all this, you are not satisfied then you can look at various Power amps available like Emotiva etc.

Nothing is futureproof. Electronics keep changing with new features and demands. Sooner or later depending on your requirements, you may want to upgrade so invest appropriately in order to get fair value back for what you have.

All the best!
Thank you that was very detailed explanation. I will try that 1db increase in all the speakers.

If possible to stretch a little the Rotel RMB1555 is a very good option with 120W/ch at 8ohms with all channels driven

I have no direct experience in what you are trying to achieve but isn't pre a very important part of the chain if you want to achieve better sound than what you have?
so changing the pre and then you will also have to change the power amp will give you better results i guess else what you have should serve you well ( you might look at room treatment and calibration with the existing system for a better output)
experts in HT setup please chime in to tell me if this makes sense or my understanding is upside down :)

Are you open to DIY options? few of our members designed and built decent power amps...

I have no direct experience in what you are trying to achieve but isn't pre a very important part of the chain if you want to achieve better sound than what you have?
so changing the pre and then you will also have to change the power amp will give you better results i guess else what you have should serve you well ( you might look at room treatment and calibration with the existing system for a better output)
experts in HT setup please chime in to tell me if this makes sense or my understanding is upside down :)
Your understanding is perfect, I used Audyssey to calibrate my system, but I am still not satisfied with the performance of few channels. Especially my Center Channel and Atmos speakers. What I thought was, if I add an Amplifier for 5 speakers, the AVR can concentrate on Atmos alone, or with some variable configuration between amplifier and speakers, to achieve the optimal output. I am not an audiophile or expert in systems. I was using Yamaha YHT-296 for 10 years and Just this year I have upgraded to this configuration.

Your understanding is perfect, I used Audyssey to calibrate my system, but I am still not satisfied with the performance of few channels. Especially my Center Channel and Atmos speakers. What I thought was, if I add an Amplifier for 5 speakers, the AVR can concentrate on Atmos alone, or with some variable configuration between amplifier and speakers, to achieve the optimal output. I am not an audiophile or expert in systems. I was using Yamaha YHT-296 for 10 years and Just this year I have upgraded to this configuration.
Basic Audyssey caliberation was meh for me too, then bought their app on my phone caliberated with that app and changed a few settings on the phone and uploaded to the AVR ( there is a guide on the forum somewhere on that)
it makes a big difference, if you haven't tried this, you should
my atmos works great now, but my room is completely closed with some decent treatment ( small room though 10x13)

You have a very capable receiver. I don't have much of an idea about your speakers but I don't think the Denon will have any problems driving them to reference levels.

I would suggest that you tweak your receiver to get the sound that you want. As the receiver is new to you, you can browse through threads in this forum for a proper setup of the same and tweaking of the same. You can always have your doubts clarified here in this thread too.

Getting a power amp for a receiver like the one you have won't always guarantee a better sound.

Just add power amp to ocr only.or lr only .for 1.5 l you will get better 2ch amp.rest you can run with 4700.

I have seen Pulz made a 7ch pro power amp some year back. They make custom amps to. They can sound very powerful.

Basic Audyssey caliberation was meh for me too, then bought their app on my phone caliberated with that app and changed a few settings on the phone and uploaded to the AVR ( there is a guide on the forum somewhere on that)
it makes a big difference, if you haven't tried this, you should
my atmos works great now, but my room is completely closed with some decent treatment ( small room though 10x13)
That's a great idea, thanks, I will try that app. I am more of DIY guy, I have made my own Acoustical Panels using glass wool and placed around the walls and wooden flooring with theater mat finish. So the room was a complete DIY on my effort.

You have a very good receiver and it's more than capable of driving those speakers.

Run audyssey multiple times, read about running the setup for best results, try to understand what tweaks it is doing and why. Audyssey is awesome and extremely effective if Done right. It's plug and play when you understand it. Experiment with mic positions, speaker positions, etc.

MaSh

Are you open to DIY options? few of our members designed and built decent power amps...
I completely built my room with my DIY passion only, but I sticked only with branded stuffs, because I am not that techy to tackle any mishaps. Still thanks for your reply.

The 125W in Denon 4700H is for 2 channel. It will most likely to get 45W to 50W per channel level. I am not saying that is not enough. If you want to watch at reference level (85db) at listening position on a medium/large room, it can get tough. If it is not a treated room, then you won't be listening at reference level. Then the AVR should be easily able to drive upto 75db to 80db.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back