In search of an affordable .1

After contemplating many pros and cons and going through numerous reviews and forum suggestions, finally decided to break the bank and ordered XTZ 12.17. Also ordered Audioquest Black Lab subwoofer cable(3 metres). Awaiting delivery. It's more than 80% of my initial budget. I had also looked for SVS PB1000 pro and Rhythmik LV12F - both are out of stock. I hope, XTZ is good for my requirements.
As a consequence, I have to 'bribe' my better half proportionately!

Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions and responses!

After contemplating many pros and cons and going through numerous reviews and forum suggestions, finally decided to break the bank and ordered XTZ 12.17. Also ordered Audioquest Black Lab subwoofer cable(3 metres). Awaiting delivery. It's more than 80% of my initial budget. I had also looked for SVS PB1000 pro and Rhythmik LV12F - both are out of stock. I hope, XTZ is good for my requirements.
As a consequence, I have to 'bribe' my better half proportionately!

Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions and responses!
Congrats and good choice compared to the subs you have initially finalised. Always good to buy a sub that can go all the way to 20hz and in my room the 12.17 easily went till 19hz. Having used both the 12.17 and the 10.17 I can say they perform very well for movies. The low bass slam will be very good provided if your room response is good and if you can find a sweet spot. Certain areas it sounded flat but that was mainly due to room and phase issues which I am facing even with the rythmik as well.

Received the subwoofer today evening. Trying to tune - not got the time though. I know this requires time and patience. I am not sure about Audyssey giving me the numbers - so, trusting my ears and doing things manually. Luckily, my better half is helping me a lot!
Thanks again everyone. Specially @Love4sound . I have had a few queries and he has patiently guided me.

A note for the dealer:
I have purchased the sub and cable from The Home Cinema(Bangalore) and have found Mr. Rajesh a nice person to deal with. As this was the first time I was not dealing my gear in-person, I was a little sceptical initially. But Mr. Rajesh had answered by queries patiently and guided me. And this is my observation after talking with a good number of dealers who tried to push wrong information for the sake of sale! A big distributor even told me that prices had gone up after the budget. I had called them up within 24 hours after the budget was declared!

Received the subwoofer today evening. Trying to tune - not got the time though. I know this requires time and patience. I am not sure about Audyssey giving me the numbers - so, trusting my ears and doing things manually. Luckily, my better half is helping me a lot!
Thanks again everyone. Specially @Love4sound . I have had a few queries and he has patiently guided me.
Welcome :) and hope you have a blast with the sub

Hi Friends, sorry for taking up this thread to place my query. Even through I reviewed couple subwoofer specs and online reviews. I got multiple suggestion from many of you folks and thanks for that. Even though the suggested options were really good, I was bit skeptical to go for due to high budget. Also, with 100 sqft room and with elderly neighbors, I may not keep full volume also. So, I want to play little conservative here. So, I am planning to choose Yamaha NS-SW300. I know, this may not be a perfect sub, but I feel that for the price point, its a VFM sub and it may not disappoint is what I am thinking.
Now, I don't want to bother you with more suggestions or options. Just let me know, if you have used it/using it, is there any major drawback with this sub? If not, I shall go ahead and purchase without much second that.

One additional question is, do that NS-SW300, comes with a good feet which is can give good isolation on my Ceramic tile floor? If not, options like SVS soundpath Isolation will be compatible? Please advice.

@selvaa_pr Yamaha SW300 is a good subwoofer, like you said VFM. You will enjoy it, it cannot compete with higher end subs but holds its own. Watch out for bottoming out, calibrate properly.

People living in apartment always have to deal with neighbours, no running from it. Placement will be a key, do test multiple placements and do subwoofer crawl.

They come with decent feet, no need of isolation. If you still think it is a problem, get gym tiles or yoga mats and place the subwoofer on it. The neighbours will be happier too.

@selvaa_pr Yamaha SW300 is a good subwoofer, like you said VFM. You will enjoy it, it cannot compete with higher end subs but holds its own. Watch out for bottoming out, calibrate properly.

People living in apartment always have to deal with neighbours, no running from it. Placement will be a key, do test multiple placements and do subwoofer crawl.

They come with decent feet, no need of isolation. If you still think it is a problem, get gym tiles or yoga mats and place the subwoofer on it. The neighbours will be happier too.
Sure. Thanks for the details. May be after the purchase, I shall reach out for further support on setting up and calibration..

Hi Friends, sorry for taking up this thread to place my query. Even through I reviewed couple subwoofer specs and online reviews. I got multiple suggestion from many of you folks and thanks for that. Even though the suggested options were really good, I was bit skeptical to go for due to high budget. Also, with 100 sqft room and with elderly neighbors, I may not keep full volume also. So, I want to play little conservative here. So, I am planning to choose Yamaha NS-SW300. I know, this may not be a perfect sub, but I feel that for the price point, its a VFM sub and it may not disappoint is what I am thinking.
I'm afraid You think wrong. It will disappoint, especially for movies.
Now, I don't want to bother you with more suggestions or options. Just let me know, if you have used it/using it, is there any major drawback with this sub? If not, I shall go ahead and purchase without much second that.
It cannot dig deep without distorting. Push the volume above 80db and welcome to distortion town.
One additional question is, do that NS-SW300, comes with a good feet which is can give good isolation on my Ceramic tile floor? If not, options like SVS soundpath Isolation will be compatible? Please advice.
Doesn't matter what feet it comes with. It'll never go loud enough or expend enough energy to bother even the person in the next room, forget about neighbours.

I'm afraid You think wrong. It will disappoint, especially for movies.

It cannot dig deep without distorting. Push the volume above 80db and welcome to distortion town.

Doesn't matter what feet it comes with. It'll never go loud enough or expend enough energy to bother even the person in the next room, forget about neighbours.
Thanks for detailed response. The last responses gives me more learning and at the same time, again brought me to square one. I even decided to go for SVS and the feedback was "SVS is all about marketing" from couple of dealers. All I wanted is a sub for my 10 x 10 room at a budget of 50k and usage is 50/50 for music and movies. :)

Thanks for detailed response. The last responses gives me more learning and at the same time, again brought me to square one. I even decided to go for SVS and the feedback was "SVS is all about marketing" from couple of dealers. All I wanted is a sub for my 10 x 10 room at a budget of 50k and usage is 50/50 for music and movies. :)
I have never owned an SVS sub but heard quite a few and its anything but marketing. They make fantastic subwoofers.

What is a good subwoofer depends on the price you pay for it. A good entry level subwoofer, if it is being sold at a mid level price, would not be considered a decent buy. While SVS subs are good, if they are sold much above the price of comparable competition, they stop making sense. On the other hand, If you can get them at par with their international pricing, you'll be pleased as a punch.

I have seen a few videos put up by dealers in India and I was shocked and taken aback by the amount of misleading information given by them in their responses to the comments section... I'm afraid these dealers are pushing their own agenda only (believe it or not, i have come across some dealers who offer great guidance while buying gear, even at the expense of not making a sale).

I would suggest a Sealed Sub for your room size, it'll be easier to integrate and make it behave.
With Sub Woofers, quality matters. Even if you have to spend a little more, or wait a little more, It's worth it. Look for the Rythmik L12 at the very least. The prices are crazy high right now, wait for it come down, if it ever will, fingers crossed!

SVS is quite decent especially for movies but the price in India is quite high.
But if you want a small sub, then the Qacoustics is very popular in Hfv. You can check it out.

@selvaa_pr how much are you getting the Yamaha sub for?

If your budget is 50k, nothing beats QB12. It is superb for Music, decent for movies. Doesn't dig deep but punchy and fast.

@selvaa_pr how much are you getting the Yamaha sub for?
I yet to check with local dealers. I was just checking the online sites just to check the price including Amazon India. Price quoted was around 35k. So, if I find dealer also, they might quote around that price only.
If your budget is 50k, nothing beats QB12. It is superb for Music, decent for movies. Doesn't dig deep but punchy and fast.
I don't want to much deep like 20Hz. When I am able to satisfy myself to a good extend on my Elac b6.2, any sub which can go up to 30Hz also will be able to provide a happy listening without bothering much. I also, don't have any plan to go beyond 2.1 in near future, until I plan my complete dedicated theater room in far future :)

SVS is quite decent especially for movies but the price in India is quite high.
Yes. SB-1000 Pro they are telling 72K. Same in US, its 500$. But, considering a hefty import duties and on top of that, the profits set at each layer of the supply chain, bring them to such price.
But if you want a small sub, then the Qacoustics is very popular in Hfv. You can check it out.
Yes, I have seen this reference in multiple threads. But, that also shows 63K on the HiFiMart. Not sure, if the cost will come down if I talk to them directly.

Yes. SB-1000 Pro they are telling 72K. Same in US, its 500$. But, considering a hefty import duties and on top of that, the profits set at each layer of the supply chain, bring them to such price.

Yes, I have seen this reference in multiple threads. But, that also shows 63K on the HiFiMart. Not sure, if the cost will come down if I talk to them directly.
Pls try talking to Mr. Anil if he can give the QB 12 to you at a good price. But his is the lowest comparatively as of now.
Otherwise the Mission 15 inch would fall within 50k but may be big for your room.

Pls try talking to Mr. Anil if he can give the QB 12 to you at a good price. But his is the lowest comparatively as of now.
Otherwise the Mission 15 inch would fall within 50k but may be big for your room.
Amazon India is the lowest as on today.. its on sale for 59,999 while QB12 is listed at 62990 on Hifimart

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back