In-Wall Speaker Wire for Surround Speakers

druk2004

Dear experts,

I am doing some renovation at my house and thought it to be good opportunity to hide the Rear surround speaker Wires. The wire will be concealed in wall for 50% of the length and remaining 50% will be inside the false ceiling.

Please suggest which speaker wires to be used for this.

BR
Roy

14awg is preferred if your runs from the amp to speakers are > 20 feet. You can probably get away with 16awg if the runs are shorter, although go for a thicker cable if budget permits.

You can either buy speaker cables from online/offline stores which are typically 2 conductor cables, or even go with electrical cables from reputed brands like Finolex/Polycab.

It depends on whether you can differentiate between the two types based on what you hear from your system. Try with some short cables with your current setup to spot the difference. If you do not find any, go with the cheaper option.

Again, not everyone will agree with me on this, but from my experience, I believe cables probably affect sound quality way less than the amp, speakers and your capacity for critical listening. There are, obviously other factors like interference, shielding, etc. which does affect the signal quality/accuracy, but that's more important for signal cables like HDMI or RCA than the ones running from your amp to the speakers.

What kind of setup you have?

There are cables available at a wide range of price points. But there's no point in spending 20,000 on cables if you have entry level setup. So for us to be able to answer appropriately, we'll need to know the rest of the setup. And also your upgrade plan, if any.

If you're looking for something on a tight budget, a 1.3 or 1.5 sq. mm. Finolex/Polycab cable will be your best bet. It should be available for Rs. 30 a meter or less if you buy the entire roll (90 meters). You can get 2 core cable to keep things hassle free, otherwise there will be chances of mixup if all cables are same colour.

Also, since you're getting a false ceiling, it might be worth considering if you want to keep spare cables for atmos speakers, in case you upgrade later.

Dear experts,

I am doing some renovation at my house and thought it to be good opportunity to hide the Rear surround speaker Wires. The wire will be concealed in wall for 50% of the length and remaining 50% will be inside the false ceiling.

Please suggest which speaker wires to be used for this.

BR
Roy
I had got a two-core sheathed 2.5 sq-mm Finolex just recently.
I underestimated the sheathing, which ended up being quite thick.
The electrician's first assumption was that we were gonna run it inside the wall.
Had to tell him I am just planning a piped run.

You could consider those, if you don't mind the gauge...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back