Indian Cheapness

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajinkya

Just read this news article about honesty and meanness:
Honest peon returns Rs 27L gold to owner - Mumbai - City - The Times of India

What irked me was the last paragraph, where the owner offered the honest peon Rs. 100, for returning jewellery worth Rs. 27,00,000. Maybe I'm generalising when I call this behaviour "Indian cheapness". Maybe it was just this selfish, stupid man who behaved this way. But, growing up, I have read many such instances in India where honesty is rewarded by nothing more than a pat on the back. Not that honesty and reward should be in one-to-one correspondence but when someone finds and returns your valuables worth 27L, giving him 100 is a sign of a spiritually, mentally, and morally bankrupt individual. Just thought I'd share this with fellow members for opinions, and hopefully insight, so that none of us ever behave this way.

this is common in india .....where people still pay Rs11/- and sometimes Rs1/- in temples .....as if they are living in 80's ......

So ............ there is no freaking need to return such contraband if one gets lucky enough to get a hold on.

Speaking of myself, I would never have returned this Rs.27 L 'sona', knowing fully well that the owner could always earn it later on. Well, who moves with such valuables of such value, that too in a single carrier .... either a very well endowed guy or a jeweller.

So, would'nt have given off this "opportunity" .......... period.

If this was done by an american, it would not be called as american cheapness

You cant generalize what one guy did to over a billion people. thats just not on.

Instead of highlighting the fact that the peon who makes about 200/- a day returned goods worth 27,00,000, what gets highlighted is the guy who gives 100/-. This thread could've been called "Indian greatness".

Its exactly this negativity thats killing this country.

Last edited:
We should not be painting all Indians with the same brush.

So ............ there is no freaking need to return such contraband if one gets lucky enough to get a hold on.

Speaking of myself, I would never have returned this Rs.27 L 'sona', knowing fully well that the owner could always earn it later on. Well, who moves with such valuables of such value, that too in a single carrier .... either a very well endowed guy or a jeweller.

So, would'nt have given off this "opportunity" .......... period.
What are you saying buddy? Somebody's loss is your gain? This is not an opportunity, it is life's test of one's values. What if that was someone's life savings, which he has saved painstakingly for some purpose. Let us say for his daughter's marriage or to buy a plot. Remember gold is seen as one of the best investments in India. The peon is right in what he has done, no two ways about that. The jeweller is the one on the wrong side and is a shame for our country.

this is common in india .....where people still pay Rs11/- and sometimes Rs1/- in temples .....as if they are living in 80's ......
Boss, I have seen Indians (who are a disgrace for our country) donate Rs.2 and Rs.5 in Indian Currency(carried specifically for such purposes from India) in an Indian temple near Melbourne. Reason is, even the lowest denomination in Aussie currency will be more than that:mad:. We Indians behave very cheap when we are abroad:sad:.

If so much of money left somewhere by mistake or lost, and if i found it i may not return it if i knew that the person is not going to be grateful enough then i would go and give the money to needy, like a cancer hospital, etc. I feel it is a moral obligation that the person who finds such money and related should be rewarded 10%. The one who gets rewarded 10% should keep 5% with himself and the other 5% to be donated.

V.

I wouldn't pay more in Temples as the money is seized by the government of India due to an unfair law enacted in the constitution. Yes all the crores of money that goes into Tirupati and elsewhere is legally the property of the government. Ever wondered why the priests are always living in penury and temples of archaeological value are ill-maintained and neglected? This is the reason.

Yes it is very insulting of that person to offer just rupees 100/- . Shame on him!! He must be a <insert community name here> ... :D Ooops! Sorry! :lol: Just kidding!

Cheers

Last edited:
If this was done by an american, it would not be called as american cheapness

You cant generalize what one guy did to over a billion people. thats just not on.

Instead of highlighting the fact that the peon who makes about 200/- a day returned goods worth 27,00,000, what gets highlighted is the guy who gives 100/-. This thread could've been called "Indian greatness".

Its exactly this negativity thats killing this country.

Kudos to Doors for setting the right frame of mind!! It is a sign of greatness that an Indian who can only look forward to staying hopelessly lower-middle-class Indian for the rest of his life has done this act of supreme honesty!! Now would you expect a burger chomping poor American in a "Ghetto" or elsewhere to do this? I dont mean to generalize but ask yourself this question and the answers will be varied in each of our minds, just like if you ask yourself if every Indian would have displayed this act of honesty.

PS: I think we need to locate the name of the owner and shame him publicly until he feels social embarrassment and stigma !! :D

Regards

I think the point of this thread was the guy had the audacity to offer the guy Rs 100 as reward. Its common decency.. you dont offer someone Rs 100 when he's saved your freaking ass 27 lakhs. It's disgusting and pathetic how badly this person was brought up to commit such a pathetic act of greed. I spit on this guys guts.

I think the point of this thread was the guy had the audacity to offer the guy Rs 100 as reward..

An everything around it ... we are Indian after all come on we love to talk talk talk :D :) :lol:

The other caveat is that the whole story of the 100/- offer may not be true. Indian media lies blatantly through their teeth, and either suppresses the truth or withholds from public disclosure, or distorts it, playing to an agenda. Like the treacherous minister who whispers one thing in one kings ear and another thing in another's. And so they will say things for effect in order to have it discussed. This has been exposed however and those who know the instances will understand what I am implying. Lets remember the media credibility factor before we curse that lucky owner

Indian media people are not very different from our politicians - although they wear the garb of glamor and modernity and speak heavy words in English, they are still the age old perverts of truth and honesty. Just giving a slight slant or tilt to a story is the ruling game being played for years now

Regards

The other caveat is that the whole story of the 100/- offer may not be true. Indian media lies blatantly through their teeth, and either suppresses the truth or withholds from public disclosure, or distorts it, playing to an agenda.
Just giving a slight slant or tilt to a story is the ruling game being played for years now
Here you go... giving a slight slant to same story
Cops praise man for returning lost jewellery worth Rs 27 lakh to owner - Yahoo! India News
:indifferent14:

A different perspective:The person could have called the cops to check the bag and deal with it further, given the safety concerns and bomb blast threats that exist,considering it is a public place, to avert any tragedy. of course, hats off to the person for returning the bag but calling the cops would be sensible in such a situation.

Pray tell me, why would you even give a single rupee to a temple? What does the temple need money for? Does god need money? Personally I have never understood the zeal with which Indians go and give money to places of worship.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay more in Temples as the money is seized by the government of India due to an unfair law enacted in the constitution. Yes all the crores of money that goes into Tirupati and elsewhere is legally the property of the government. Ever wondered why the priests are always living in penury and temples of archaeological value are ill-maintained and neglected? This is the reason.
I had no idea that this was the case and actually I am still not sure it is. But if it is, then this is good news. This way atleast the money goes into governement/public coffers. Priests don't live in penury and they certainly don't deserve any money for what they do.

I wonder why he took the bag home in the first place. This is my typically Indian suspicious mind thinking aloud. :rolleyes:

I had no idea that this was the case and actually I am still not sure it is. But if it is, then this is good news. This way atleast the money goes into governement/public coffers. Priests don't live in penury and they certainly don't deserve any money for what they do.

Yep, under the Temple Empowerment Act, about 34,000 temples are under government control. Only 18% of the revenue of these temples is said to be given back for temple purposes, while the remaining 82% is used for other things by the government at their discretion.

Since you are yet another brain-washed and ill-literate modern English speaking Indian as to be happy about this, I will post in part some seriously off-topic data here:

The Tirumala-Tirupati collects overRs. 3,100 crores (tens of millions) every year, and the state government has not denied the charge that as much as 85% of this is transferred to the state exchequer, much of which goes to causes that are not connected with the Hindu community

---clip---
In Karnataka, for example, in 2003, as reported by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and in India Today, 79 crores ($790,000,000) was collected from about two lakh (200,000) temples. From that, temples received 7 crores ($70,000,000) for their maintenance, Muslim Madrassas and the Haj subsidy (for trip to Mecca) was given 59 crores, and churches about 13 crores. Because of tactics like this, twenty-five percent of the two lakh temples i.e., about 50,000 in Karnataka, will be closed down for lack of resources
---clap---

Now sing and dance and rejoice!! :eek:hyeah::rolleyes:

Cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back