Indian DIY Speakers and cross over network

changappa

Hi every one,
there is a company named Sweton in Kolkata West Bengal. they make quite good Home Audio speakers. Much better than what we get in local markets . Those Dainty, Argox, so many mostly Chinese crap not even Impedance written on them. This Company has online sales in their Sweton speakers web site. very prompt in dealing. you have to select a product then pay the amount within few days product delivered to your door step very well double packed quality item. even they sell cross over networks in a very reasonable price. I bought a 10 " sub and a pair of 6" woofers .Awesome performance. Full 100% made in India product and very good finishing. Sweton Speakers comes with full TS parameter . If you planing to DIY tower speakers or Subs . you can give a try. I have doubts on those JBLs, Pioneer,etc subs which are sold in our local markets either made in China Or made in Vietnam.

Last edited:
I purchased a pair of 6 inch full rangers for installing in car 4 months back. Yet to do it though.
Thinking of buying their 10 inch ones to try an open baffle as sealed will take lots of space

+1

I loved the speakers from them, used them for a build. But I would pick only Woofers from them, the mids and tweeters are pretty meh. Wouldn't recommend the crossovers from them, the sound is pretty harsh with all above combination.

Not all is perfect with them, if one company sells all three products, Woofer, mid range and tweeter along with crossover the sound quality should be better. I would just pick woofers or subs from them. Full range units also look promising.

There is one more online seller, doogesound. Their products are even better. Some products are marginally expensive but the sound quality and build quality is even better. They even provide all things needed to build a speaker minus the plywood or mdf including screws. Their crossover networks are worth a mention and sound superb. I would spend more on such crossovers as they make or break the sound.

They even have plans in some cases, which suggests which tweeter, woofer or midrange to use. And give a crossover suggestion.

I'm using the sweton 40W 8 ohm 4 inch full range speakers as a testing pair. It took a week to settle in after which i found the sound very acceptable.

They did not mark the positive and negative terminals but as long as you connect both the same way it should not cause phase problems

+1

I loved the speakers from them, used them for a build. But I would pick only Woofers from them, the mids and tweeters are pretty meh. Wouldn't recommend the crossovers from them, the sound is pretty harsh with all above combination.

Not all is perfect with them, if one company sells all three products, Woofer, mid range and tweeter along with crossover the sound quality should be better. I would just pick woofers or subs from them. Full range units also look promising.

There is one more online seller, doogesound. Their products are even better. Some products are marginally expensive but the sound quality and build quality is even better. They even provide all things needed to build a speaker minus the plywood or mdf including screws. Their crossover networks are worth a mention and sound superb. I would spend more on such crossovers as they make or break the sound.

They even have plans in some cases, which suggests which tweeter, woofer or midrange to use. And give a crossover suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't heard of them. Looks legit and attractive pricing.

Do they make custom speakers based on requirements?

If yes, how do they compare with the mainstream brands?

And their amplifiers, are the good enough to compete with DD amps from fm Aniket or the ones from Norge.?

I know one get what they pay for.

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't heard of them. Looks legit and attractive pricing.

Do they make custom speakers based on requirements?

If yes, how do they compare with the mainstream brands?

And their amplifiers, are the good enough to compete with DD amps from fm Aniket or the ones from Norge.?

I know one get what they pay for.

Not sure if they make custom speakers, but if you know anyone who builds boxes or cabinets. Its a easy DIY. But some cabinet makers share crazy prices for the speaker boxes, one such guy was offering me twice the price of the drivers and crossovers I purchased.
Or best if you know any carpenter he can help you build, some decent speakers can be done around 10k mark.

Cannot compare with mainstream brands, some speakers are better some are not, depends on what one is looking for.
But at around 7k for bookshelf drivers and parts (the best ones on site) + add 3k for ply or MDF sheets and some labor. One might get speakers for under 15k.

Haven't heard their amps yet, I would like to visit them once. I have shot them a email for auditioning all these, lets see how they revert back.
But DD amps or O&B amps are in league of their own, and I can vouch for it. The build quality and sound quality does make then stand out even compared to twice expensive amps. Even if you drop them they won't break! Literally a tank!

"I know one get what they pay for." This! I feel one should keep hopes in check when getting such products and not expect them to be gaint killers.

When I lived in Chennai (it's quite a long time back)I used to go to a shop on Ritchie Street. They were specialized in speakers and had their own networks too. Not sure if they are still there. I purchased a few woofers, mids and tweeters and networks from them. That shop was near the then showroom of Torvin. (This guy had introduced me to Torvin). They were ORQU if I remember correctly.

Someone from Chennai can chime in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if they make custom speakers, but if you know anyone who builds boxes or cabinets. Its a easy DIY. But some cabinet makers share crazy prices for the speaker boxes, one such guy was offering me twice the price of the drivers and crossovers I purchased.
Or best if you know any carpenter he can help you build, some decent speakers can be done around 10k mark.

Cannot compare with mainstream brands, some speakers are better some are not, depends on what one is looking for.
But at around 7k for bookshelf drivers and parts (the best ones on site) + add 3k for ply or MDF sheets and some labor. One might get speakers for under 15k.

Haven't heard their amps yet, I would like to visit them once. I have shot them a email for auditioning all these, lets see how they revert back.
But DD amps or O&B amps are in league of their own, and I can vouch for it. The build quality and sound quality does make then stand out even compared to twice expensive amps. Even if you drop them they won't break! Literally a tank!

"I know one get what they pay for." This! I feel one should keep hopes in check when getting such products and not expect them to be gaint killers.

I am not good at diy. But the prices were too good for the drivers. I am not an expert on the quality of the drivers, though.

But they did seem good to me. I was just considering the possibility of getting some wallet friendly "sound".

I am not good at diy. But the prices were too good for the drivers. I am not an expert on the quality of the drivers, though.

But they did seem good to me. I was just considering the possibility of getting some wallet friendly "sound".

Yup, the prices are good and so is the sound. I mean you wouldn't be disappointed with that budget.
But he cabinet matters greatly too, check with local FMs if anyone knows on cabinet makers.
One could have a 2 ch setup under 15-20k :D

But I am waiting for their reply, hope I get to listen and audition.

I'm using the sweton 40W 8 ohm 4 inch full range speakers as a testing pair. It took a week to settle in after which i found the sound very acceptable.

They did not mark the positive and negative terminals but as long as you connect both the same way it should not cause phase problems
when you place the speaker facing magnet upwards always the right side pin is positive thumb rule

They were ORQU if I remember correctly.
Torvin hs become bit expensive I prefer Norge of Mumbai instead of Torvin. Norge Amplifiers are well tuned particularly the Mids

Theres a Company in Mumbai named Norge they make very good Amplifiers value for money their Mids are so well tuned. you won't get those heart thumping Bass but very quality Musical effect. when you open their 14k Amp you find a Toroidal Transformer occupying one third of the space and the PCB and components are made to last minimum 20 years or more. just Basic Stereo Hi Fi Amps value for money.

when you place the speaker facing magnet upwards always the right side pin is positive thumb rule
Take a 1.5V cell and press the +ve to one of the terminals of spkr. With a wire connect momentarily the negative of the cell to the other terminal of spkr. If the cone moves out the polarity is correct. do the reverse test and confirm. Mark the terminals accordingly. That's what I understand and do even if spkr is from a known manufacturer with all proper marking.

They were ORQU if I remember correctly.
They're Q-UP I think. They're still there but I don't think they're into speakers anymore...

I'm also seeing Zipp brand and Award branded tweeter popping up in my youtube playlist :) . Anyone has any experience in them , pls share your thoughts.

https://www.salconelectronics.com/ Is one more guy selling cross overs and speakers. No idea about his quality.

Dooge have some decent looking cross overs but no tech info. They should give us component values so we can figure it out or they should tell us the Freq its designed to work with. I spoke to a lady. Who was non technical. And said they would update their website.
Most of their tweeters are out of stock new stocks only expected in Aug. That is the only thing holding me back from ordering.

Sweeton has already been covered.

Im looking to build a 3 speaker system tower. But want to source all the speakers from one brand.
Old speaker brands i would buy in a heart beat if I could them would be Boston Acoustics, Peerless, Philips.
But hard to find. A
There are some brands also being sold on Amazon dot in.
I build engines for a living so this is just a hobby for me.
Friends have donated a pile of speakers and blown amps. Which I hope to fix and use.

They're Q-UP I think. They're still there but I don't think they're into speakers anymore...
My memory is right..I had related that name ORQU to Oration and Quote. My purchase was in 1997. They could have rebranded in these 25 years.

When I lived in Chennai (it's quite a long time back)I used to go to a shop on Ritchie Street. They were specialized in speakers and had their own networks too. Not sure if they are still there. I purchased a few woofers, mids and tweeters and networks from them. That shop was near the then showroom of Torvin. (This guy had introduced me to Torvin ).

Someone from Chennai can chime in?
R u reffering to singh trading company on richie street,? they are the biggest resellers of audio and electronic components. i am not sure if they in business.

R u reffering to singh trading company on richie street,? they are the biggest resellers of audio and electronic components. i am not sure if they in business.
No, not Singh trading .this was exclusive speakers shop. They had speakers, networks and cabinets. I had a pair of 4" full ranger with a helper tweeter with cabinet. Another pair with 6" woofer and 1.5" or 2" tweeter. Those days paper cone tweeter was common. Later for experiments i think i got a pair of mid-range also.also a set of network. I hope if i went to my father's place they may be there unless he threw them out.

An update on my speaker project.
I purchased these woofers from Sweton Dealer in Hyderabad they offer a better price than buying direct. Contact the company and ask for their dealer number.
This is what I purchased.
I gave them the choice given the amps I own.
I said recomend what should i get
The 150 watt 10 inch double magnet or the Pro Audio 12 Inch Woofer.
They said given my amp and application home get the 10 inch.
The boxes landed up with the speakers damaged. These speakers are heavy. One speaker was packed well so saw less damage the other was bent bad.
They handled the complete issue very professionally as in they arranged for a pickup and in a few days I had a new speaker.
A Mr Rahul from Sweton responded to all my noob questions and even helped me create a project file for winisd.
I love the sound of the woofer. And threw one into a 50 ltr ported box I had. The other I have left open just to compare to the box. Initially I wanted to purchase the Dooge woofers but the made in India bit did it for me. At least I know I can always get new coils and re-cone kits easily.

On their cross over kits they are the only company to actually give you cross over chart so you know what your getting.
Unlike the Doge cross overs which are nothing more than aliexpress parts with zero tech info.

My plan 10 Inch woofers with 8 inch boston full range with 1 inch silk dome peerless tweeters with a DIY Cross over.
Either I do one cabinet for all 3 speakers or I do the woofer box separate and then have the full range and the tweeter in another box that sits on top of the woofer box. My 2nd order cross over is 40-2000 Hz for the woofer. 2000 to 8000 Hz for the full range. And 8000 to 20000 for the tweeter.

I purchased these woofers from Sweton Dealer in Hyderabad they offer a better price than buying direct. Contact the company and ask for their dealer number.
The boxes landed up with the speakers damaged. These speakers are heavy. One speaker was packed well so saw less damage the other was bent bad.
They handled the complete issue very professionally as in they arranged for a pickup and in a few days I had a new speaker.
A Mr Rahul from Sweton responded to all my noob questions and even helped me create a project file for winisd.
I love the sound of the woofer. And threw one into a 50 ltr ported box I had. The other I have left open just to compare to the box. Initially I wanted to purchase the Dooge woofers but the made in India bit did it for me. At least I know I can always get new coils and re-cone kits easily.

On their cross over kits they are the only company to actually give you cross over chart so you know what your getting.
Unlike the Doge cross overs which are nothing more than aliexpress parts with zero tech info.

My plan 10 Inch woofers with 8 inch boston full range with 1 inch silk dome peerless tweeters with a DIY Cross over.
Either I do one cabinet for all 3 speakers or I do the woofer box separate and then have the full range and the tweeter in another box that sits on top of the woofer box. My 2nd order cross over is 40-2000 Hz for the woofer. 2000 to 8000 Hz for the full range. And 8000 to 20000 for the tweeter.
Congratulations for your subwoofer. Would love to check the video demo, if possible.

Congratulations on your new project.

Would it not sound better to limit the woofer to 800Hz and full ranger taking up from thereon to 8kHz?

I'm also seeing Zipp brand and Award branded tweeter popping up in my youtube playlist :) . Anyone has any experience in them , pls share your thoughts.
Award speakers have better build quality, I have bought a pair of 8'' drivers from Award and they sound decent and VFM. I got to know from a gentleman that Award into Audio system business for quite a long time and they are good in quality.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back