Indian equivalent Valve codes (BEL make)

Simon Wires

I am on the look out of the valves for my Zenith Transoceanic H500 valve radio of the 1950s.

A) 1U4 RF AMP
B) 1L6 ,
C) 1 U4 IF AMP
D) 1 U5
E) 3 V4.

They are small in size and runs on 90V i think.

Can some one suggest me the equivalent valve numbers of BEL India make. I found a place with a huges stock of old valves, but couldnt figure out the right one.

Thanks in advance

Not sure if you will get BEL compatible valves. BEL used to manufacture ECH81, ECH83, EBC81, EF86, EL84, EM84 and EZ80 for valve radio use (in radios with auto-transformer). They also manufactured UCH81, UCH83, UBC81, UF86, UL84, UM84 and UZ80 for AC/DC radio use. All these worked with the standard 250v power rail (in radios). The E-series valves had 6.3v filaments while the U-series valves had higher filament ratings and were serially connected.

I suggest you contact Philip Issac of Lizzner Electronics, at Vasanthnagar and talk to him 22269360. He and his brother Raju have a lot of experience with vacuum tubes and gear. I have no connection with him other than as a customer and friend.

Not sure if you will get BEL compatible valves. BEL used to manufacture ECH81, ECH83, EBC81, EF86, EL84, EM84 and EZ80 for valve radio use (in radios with auto-transformer). They also manufactured UCH81, UCH83, UBC81, UF86, UL84, UM84 and UZ80 for AC/DC radio use. All these worked with the standard 250v power rail (in radios). The E-series valves had 6.3v filaments while the U-series valves had higher filament ratings and were serially connected.

Forgot to mention ECL82, ECL86 for AC radios and UCL82, UCL86 for AC/DC radios.

Thanks Ruben.

Thanks George.. I talked to Mr.Philip, a sweet & kind soul.. A long talk..He dont have them, but has something interesting he has.. A Blaupunkt TV/Radio monster..

Forgot to mention ECL82, ECL86 for AC radios and UCL82, UCL86 for AC/DC radios.

BEL also made a whole bunch of dual triodes like ECC82, ECC83, ECC88 etc., both under the BEL brand as well as an OEM manufacturer for Mullard/Philips. These include some premium versions with long-life filaments/cathode and gold-plated pins, like E88CC. All of these are very useful for small-signal audio use.

However, the tubes that may still be available NOS in original cartons are mostly triode-tetrode or triode-pentode receiving tubes. Also some beam-power pentodes used in TV deflection stages and the like. Most of these are unsuitable for audio use, but it would be interesting to adapt some power transmitting tubes for tube power output stages - not sure if anybody has attempted something along these lines.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back