Indian Folk Music

Starting a thread for a musical genre that has some very beautiful music and deserves more attention.
I hope that with this thread we can shine a light on some musical treasures from our rich folk traditions.

Regards.

Another great idea Nikhil. Much neglected genre in our country. Hope people come up with listening suggestions.

Lovely idea Nikhil. Thanks.
But, just wondering, what makes something folk? I remember, many years ago, browsing in a CD store in Europe, and I found Maharajpuram Santhanam in the 'Ethnic Music', section. :D
Would Quawwali for instance be considered folk or semi-classical? I do see it as something of a folk form; but then is Reshma a folk singer, perhaps not (although she is folksy), and then what about someone like Alla Jilla Bai? Louis Armstrong's famous-and probably apocryphal- definition of folk music as "music that folks sing, at least I never heard no horse singing it", is actually quite misleading. After all, 'Robindra Shongeet' even though it may be sung by many, is not folk music, whereas the music sung by Bauls (singers by vocation) is surely folk music.

Anyhow, I am not wanting to kill the thread with my pedantry and I hope other more sensible people will keep adding 'intuitively' to our collection of performers and performances and forget about classification.
Cheers!

Folk music is essentially traditional music originating from ethnic/cultural groups of people.
Mainstream music may borrow from folk traditions but I think we intuitively know what folk music is.

Most recently Coke Studio has been experimenting with fusion of folk and mainstream pop and rock.
Some of it worked and some didn't - which is a pity because the music was very beautiful.
However, I really would not want to bring that fusion music here in this thread.

I would really like to see and share folk music in it's pure unadulterated form - warts and all.
Let's see if we can do a good job of it but we are not experts or anything on here.

Regards.

just my two cents. fusion music started in India a long time back. basically India had haveli sangeet, dhrupad and sugam sangeet. Qual kalbana came from Iran and in fusion with the three existing Indian forms, Qawwali came into existence. even when Amir Khuro was introducing new raagas, his basis was Indian folk and middle eastern music. so if you notice, the "Murkiyan" of khayaal gayaki have a resemblance with the middle eastern style of singing.

Dear Nikhil.... that's a amazing idea you came up with. These people deserve much more recognition !!!
The music generated by people like these, is generally associated with their hard labor. It a part of their work culture. Thanks a lot for your initiative.

The Manganiyar Seduction by Roysten Abel is very enchanting for me.

I have it both on CD and LP

Please give them a chance and listen to the whole album before you choose to retain them or look for something else.

I just pasted 1 sample video - there are others on you tube

Hope some of you like it and buy this album

Thanks

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back