Individual Amp for an HT system

raghukanthjoshi

Hi All,

just wondering if we can connect individual amps (Mono) for individual channels for a HT setup . I know it increases in cost

this post is just to have the information if can be done and details of the amps and how to set it up how is the sound quality?

THanks in Advance
Raghu

Yes. You will need a home theater processor that will split all the channels, that can be connected to power amplifiers.

How about using one of those external sound cards that output 5.1 and more channels. Could that be used to connect the power amplifiers?

Hi All,

just wondering if we can connect individual amps (Mono) for individual channels for a HT setup . I know it increases in cost

this post is just to have the information if can be done and details of the amps and how to set it up how is the sound quality?

THanks in Advance
Raghu

It all depends on your budget and space to keep all the gear....

Brands to consider....Emotiva, Marantz, Crown, Rotel, Arcam etc......

Performance will be definitely much better than the ready AVRs

It all depends on your budget and space to keep all the gear....

Brands to consider....Emotiva, Marantz, Crown, Rotel, Arcam etc......

Performance will be definitely much better than the ready AVRs

Thanks for the Reply did any one setup same sneak peak or visit them in person

I have imported 9 mono blocks of Acoustic Reality eAR1001 7nos. + eAR501 2nos.. These are one of the mamoth amps. I haved hooked them to my Anthem AVM60 proc.

The best practice is to keep the Mono blocks near the speakers and run the signal cable from the processor to the Mono block rather than running the speaker wire. Infact this is the main purpose of having individual mono blocks. Also note that it is strongly recommended to have Mono blocks with Balanced (XLR) input and hook them up with Balanced cables / interconnects. This is because XLRs can support long distance signal cabling over RCA.

Later I found I am doing injustice to these mono blocks and they are over kill for my Surrounds, Rears and Atmos channels. Also to avoid power points near each speaker from my CVT I have replaced them with ATI 300x7 for L C R, Surr. & Rear, ATI 200x7 for Atmos. Even ATIs are kind of Monoblocks construction only but in single chasie.

If I have to comment on the performance I didn't find any difference. Ofcourse given to the fact that the monoblocks have been replaced with another Super high end power amplifiers. Now I have to let go these eAR Monos that's a different part.

Yes if you are using a receiver with pre out option especially with XLR and if you connect Monoblocks then I can lay my bet this will take your HT setup to the next level. You will feel you have purchased altogether a new speaker package. Then the limiting factor would be the capabilities of your individual speakers.

As long as your speakers are not super high-end I personally not recommend going in for monoblocks in a HT setup. A quality Multi channel power amplifier will do all the work for you. Trust me.

I have come across HT setups with all B&W towers of signature collection driven by 5 classe 600 Watts monoblocks (In India only) in this setup the Speakers took the juice out of the Monos.

Recently I have imported one D-Sonic 1502 power amplifier which is a 500Wx5@4 ohms and 250Wx5@8ohms. This amp is built with 5nos of Icepower 500ASP Modules (Please note this same module only used in Jeff Rowland model 201 and sold for tons). This is hooked up to Anthem MRX720 and connected to B&W CM7. My god the improvement was from Earth to sky though MRX720 being one of the best receivers.

So people think about monoblocks to all channels in HT setup only if your speakers are all of towers and super high-end. Otherwise you can consolidate with a good multi channel power amplifier.

Thanks for reading. My few cents.

R. Balagopalan

My idea of monoblocks in HT is different. I start from high efficiency drivers and then options of low power monoblocks are plenty. It’s all DIY and keeps costs under check. A few watts are thunderous enough.

How about using 6 identical powered speakers, and powered center speaker, along with an AV processor like this one with Dirac Room correction built-in?
https://emotiva.com/products/xmc-1

I have been thinking about this quite a while for now.
Anybody using powered speakers with AV Processor?

How about using 6 identical powered speakers, and powered center speaker, along with an AV processor like this one with Dirac Room correction built-in?
https://emotiva.com/products/xmc-1

I have been thinking about this quite a while for now.
Anybody using powered speakers with AV Processor?
My opinion single word would be it is big head ache.
We have to look for wall power plug adapter /Socket.
Have to think about power cable routing also if your balanced/unbalanced cable casing is not good enough to hold it along.
Omg one more hole/Drilling in my wall / celing :)

My opinion single word would be it is big head ache.
BTW Old school audiophiles love tweaking Headaches & DIYers can't live without them !

We have to look for wall power plug adapter /Socket
Omg one more hole/Drilling in my wall / celing
In newer homes, if you have 5 walls having sockets for each is quite common nowadays, even a 20 Rms Powered speakers should be sufficient for a medium sized rooms. Instead of pairs (where one has amp and other is a passive speaker in powered speaker combos) , we should buy each individually powered type of speakers. If you are putting the mono-blocks near speakers, you'd again need to have power sockets nearby.

1. Many powered speakers come with bass and treble adjustments, if you are of tinkering type, you can customize each speaker to fit your requirements. That could obviate the need for Automated room correction , if manual settings can be done reliably. A Good Quality Speakers like Genelac/ Rokit / JBL can definitely make a difference.

2 Another option I am Thinking is using Wall Mountable Bluetooth speakers (With decent on board DAC of course) with Remote On or Always Powered On Capabilities ( like this one , but it is in Pair with Active / Passive mode which I don't need : https://www.amazon.in/Pyle-PDWR52BTBK-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Speakers/dp/B01954PYG6), you will need to run only the power cables in that case. you need multiple Bluetooth transmitters at least 3 - 4 pairs from your AVR or AV-processor side and that can obviate the need for Speaker wiring altogether. (Currently with 70k budget for satellite speakers in 7.2.2/7.2.4 config with Marantz AVR I am just exploring the possibilities)
Also, I am not sure about Long term Health issues with exposure to BT radiation for say, 50 Hrs/ Month

Another Option is going for classic wireless speakers which Work on WIFI (Heos/Sonos) or using dedicated wireless transmitting Modules, I haven't seen anybody using in my experience.

3. Windows comes with a Basic room correction software Module, Most of the streaming services / Downloaded Content can be played by a PC. you can add an internal Bluray Drive as well : Add a Good 7.2 or 11.2 PCIE Sound card (Of course a Beefy PSU and GFX Card to PC)-> To BT Transmitters & BT Speakers or Via Wired connections to to Powered Speakers and use it instead of An AVR. You can invest in UMIK 1 and Dirac for better results Which will serve many years to Come. Hacking a PC hardware for newer Codecs is much easier than upgrading your AVR . I Think Many people would have tried it already, but the ultra convenience of AVR makes them more popular.

Again these are just Thought Processes, as long as our Govt doesn't start taxing us for our thoughts , I should be fine ! ;)

My idea of monoblocks in HT is different. I start from high efficiency drivers and then options of low power monoblocks are plenty. It’s all DIY and keeps costs under check. A few watts are thunderous enough.

I concur.

This will be really great. Think about Altecs. I have a Altec stereo setup with 8 watts Don Allen 300B power amp. No words to explain. You have to hear it to believe it.

Watching movie in this Two channel set up will be mesmerizing. No subwoofer is needed in my setup. No need to talk about multi channel, it will be next level.

BTW Old school audiophiles love tweaking Headaches & DIYers can't live without them
Yes !! You heard from one of the DIYer :) doing plumbing ,electrical & electronics job who is stil continuing his activity on and off.
In newer homes, if you have 5 walls having sockets for each is quite common nowadays
May be but again your speaker position and wall socket may not be in a same/suitable position for your speaker i believe.
Imo.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back