Indulged in a New Tape Deck

Finally I got my deck cleared and delivered by the clearing agent through non- conventional method. I could not wait to install them and finally did them yesterday late evening.

So how do they sound - the big question. I have now listen to them for around 3 to 5 hours. It's too early to be based. It definitely sounds better than the Naks. Also better than my Marantz and Technics TT.

Now all my tapes of 80s will be bought to life especially the kishore's, lata's and Rafi's. I always hated to listen those on MP3. Now I am enjoying them to the fullest - uncompressed, open and true analogue without any jitter to give me listening fatigue.

I liked the exceptional open sound stage in the lows and mids with a mellower and rounded highs of this tape deck cannot compare with its digital counterpart. I can now confidentiality say that the vocals are dead accurate and with me in my room. Simply superb and unparalleled.

Congratulations Hari. End if suspenseful times for you. Non-conventional methods are needed, unfortunately, even for legit requirements.

And sorry I forgot to ask one more thing. Is cassette player spares like pinch roller, belt, head etc available to buy? What about blank cassettes? Please advise, as I badly want to re enter into analogue (tapes only). I really miss the VU meters, spectrum metres etc.
All of these are available for high end decks from eBay.com and for lower end decks locally. Blank cassettes are available in plenty from eBay.com and eBay.co.uk -- I've imported a pile of them.

Congrats Hari, the wait was worthwhile after all. Please post some pictures.

Finally I got my deck cleared and delivered by the clearing agent through non- conventional method. I could not wait to install them and finally did them yesterday late evening.

So how do they sound - the big question. I have now listen to them for around 3 to 5 hours. It's too early to be based. It definitely sounds better than the Naks. Also better than my Marantz and Technics TT.

Now all my tapes of 80s will be bought to life especially the kishore's, lata's and Rafi's. I always hated to listen those on MP3. Now I am enjoying them to the fullest - uncompressed, open and true analogue without any jitter to give me listening fatigue.

I liked the exceptional open sound stage in the lows and mids with a mellower and rounded highs of this tape deck cannot compare with its digital counterpart. I can now confidentiality say that the vocals are dead accurate and with me in my room. Simply superb and unparalleled.

@ Hari sir,

Congratulations on the new possession of the deck, after so much of suspense and uncertainty. Feel nostalgic and enjoy the music.

Hi Hari,

I followed your foot steps, F660 is pure magic, got it a week back from ebay UK. I am using it with Devialet and Harbeth.

somehow it makes any cassette sound awesome, not sure how it does it. Now playing
"Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Ayee" and analog sound so good to hear.

Thanks a lot

In my tape deck there was a mistake alignment in the left side pinch roller. Adjusted them slightly as per service manual and after that the sound stage and accuracy is huge.

The F660 is a classic, with a unique front panel and look. Good to hear about your new acquisition. Hope you get many years of life from it. :)

Today I got around 1K sealed cassettes from my distributor friend. Playing Jism, sound exactly like LP, I recently got new LP from Amazon for 1500 rs. But for cassette I paid 15 rs each.

Taal, Bombay, dil hai ki manta nahi, Hum, sadak, yes boss and 1k more, everything for 15 rs each. Feels awesome.

Me, a cassette lover too. Have a Sony TC K81 deck. Will be attempting recording FLAC from net using Odac DAC to cassettes. Not sure if a preamp would be needed in between the DAC and the deck. The deck does have a recording level control.
No need of preamp.
Dac will output at a line level.
Try tidal master .

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back