Indulged in a New Tape Deck

I don't know which rules these are. I order 10-15 year old stuff from eBay, I then get them shipped to me through Borderlinx, and I need to submit original invoice copies to Borderlinx so that they can process these through Customs. And I've never had anything confiscated. I must have purchased a dozen different audio components over time this way. And a few lenses and camera bodies, which too are classified as electronics.

On some occasions, the Customs chaps have asked for additional details from me, through Borderlinx/DHL. I have provided them copies of the original listings of the items on eBay UK, which of course leaves no one in any doubt that the seller is listing his personal, old, used electronics component. Never had a problem.

Moreover, these Customs chaps have an EXACT idea of which models are current, which are old, etc. If they see a model which stopped getting made 10 years ago (like a DVD player without an HDMI output) they don't need me to tell them that it's a used item. They still have let these things come through.

I've recently imported a used cassette Walkman through Borderlinx, and another directly from the seller (it came by ordinary air mail). In the direct air mail case, the Customs chaps charged duty of Rs.900 or so. Am I supposed to believe they did not guess that a cassette Walkman can only be used?

So, I'm not sure about all this prohibition and confiscation thing.

I was planning to get a used turntable from Germany about a year back. Checked with a few clearing agents as well as the cargo company and was told it cannot be cleared.

Anilva also went through hell getting his EMT cleared from the customs. I also know of a case where a used amp was confiscated. This happened about 6 months back.

Import of used electronics goods is banned by the govt as an anti-dumping measure. Import of used automobiles and motor bikes are banned too for the same reason.

Keep your theories aside for a bit. Try Borderlinx. They'll ship through DHL. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for your replies.

Is it confirmed that the item Wii be confiscated?

I can atleat return the item and get my refunds. Pls advise.

The turntable I was ordering was coming through DHL. They said it cannot be cleared. You cannot take a chance and order because they might just confiscate and dump it. Return is not possible. It's too much of a risk for a turntable costing 5000 euros

Last edited:
Keep your theories aside for a bit. Try Borderlinx. They'll ship through DHL. Let me know how it goes.

It's not theory.

Your consignments got through due to the Customs not enforcing their own rules.

The turntable I was ordering was coming through DHL. They said it cannot be cleared. You cannot take a chance and order because they might just confiscate and dump it. Return is not possible. It's too much of a risk for a turntable costing 5000 euros
I too would be unsure about an item valued EUR 5000. Such prices tend to draw a lot of attention; customs chaps will crawl out of the woodwork to take a second and third look. I've only gone up to USD 200 or so.

It's not theory.

Your consignments got through due to the Customs not enforcing their own rules.
You've heard the wisecrack: "In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." :D

In theory, Customs officers strictly enforce all rules. In practice, even the honest ones don't, always. They go after the big fish.

In theory, CFAs comply with Customs rules. In practice, if you have friends involved in any trading business which involves lots of import or export, they'll tell you "honest CFA" is an oxymoron. Honesty doesn't fit into the CFA value proposition, so to speak. For the right price, they'll clear a suitcase full of Mandrax tablets and deliver it to your door.

That was all I was trying to say. Keep the theories aside for a bit, and try some small-value items through Borderlinx, who will ship through DHL. You can try the Borderlinx DDP (Delivery Duty Paid) service where DHL will totally interface with Customs and deliver the item to your doorstep.

I really hope that you get the deck...Not sure how stringent the customs department in Mumbai is...I have had 100% success rate in my place...Last week i got a NAD 6300 from yahoo auction Japan. as a matter of fact several other consignment from yahoo Japan have come my way with no issues...

Last edited:
It's now 2 weeks the consignment is at Mumbai customs with zero updates to tracker or otherwise. It's making me very very uncomfortable.

Have contacted a clearing agent today to help speedup things. Lets see the outcome in a couple of days.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back