Installation

shyamal

Hi Guys
With weeks of research, auditions and great inputs from members of this forum (including previous posts including a few very informanitve posts by venkatcr on connectivity), I have finally purchased the various compoenets of my long awaited home theater system. :yahoo:

The final combo looks as below:

1) Samsung 40" B550 LCD TV
2) Pioneer DV610K DVD player
3) Tata Sky STB
4) Denon 1909 AVR
5) Monitor Audio speakers Silver+Bronze combo (RS6 flooorstanders, RSLCR center, BRFX surrounds, BRW12 subwoofer).
6) 2 nos DAC HDMI cables for AVR to TV and DVDP to AVR connectivity, 1 no. DAC subwoofer cable, 14AWG DAC cables for front speakers and 16AWG for surrounds

All items except the speakers have been delivered. Speakers expected by next week. On the Sub am still in two minds - whether BRW12 is sufficient or should i go for Velodyne (I still have an option to change this - so would apprecaite any views on helping me make a final decision this...):rolleyes:

Currently I have just set up the LCD and STB for normal TV viewing and DVDP directly to LCD thru HDMI for moviees. The Sammy PQ is great though sound is ok for normal TV viewing (news etc) but not too great for movies etc (hope to resolve this with the eagerly awaited MA speakers).

Now I needed your guidance on the installation. From various threads on this forum, my understanding of the connections are as follows:

1) DVDP >> AVR - HDMI cable
2) AVR >> LCD - HDMI Cable
3) AVR >> Sub - subwoofer cable
4) AVR >> Front speakers - 14AWG cables
5) AVR >> Surround speakers - 16AWG cables

Request your confirmation that the above is correct or is there any other better way...

6) STB to LCD - this is currently thru component. Once the AVR is set up I presume the connection will be:

STB >> AVR - component..

My question is : with the above, whenever I want to watch satellite TV I would need to switch on everything. While I dont mind that for certain programmes (where SQ needs to be great), can I have the option of watching TV only thru LC speakers without having to switch a whole set of cables around.
If so, whats the best connectivity structure to have the above optionality of watching stelline chanels either thru the HTS speakers or thru LCD speakers?

Also, after making above connections, what are the various settings /adjustments to be done on the
a) AVR
b) LCD (if any)

Lastly, does Pio DV610 come region-free or needs to bemade region-free ? If the latter, whats the procedure for doing so.

Thanks in advance
Cheers

You can connect settop to LCD with another output such as composite(component is used with AVR)

Pio610 is regfree.

Settings are subjective & as your liking you can adjust at any level(AVR,LCD)

Congratulations. You have purchased a fine set of products and I am sure you will enjoy your movies and music for a long time. You connections are correct, and yes, when you set up the AVR you can connect your STB through that using the component cable.

My question is : with the above, whenever I want to watch satellite TV I would need to switch on everything. While I dont mind that for certain programmes (where SQ needs to be great), can I have the option of watching TV only thru LC speakers without having to switch a whole set of cables around. If so, whats the best connectivity structure to have the above optionality of watching stelline chanels either thru the HTS speakers or thru LCD speakers?

Yes you can but this depends upon your STB. If it has two sets of output sockets, connect one component cable to the AVR and another to the TV's YPbPr (or component) in. When you are not using the AVR, on the TV select 'YPbPr' channel.

If your STB does not have two sets of output sockets, go to the nearest electronics market and ask for a simple 1-in-2-out component switch. Also buy two more component cables. This should be under 1000 Rs. Connect one component cable from the STB to the switch. From the switch take one component cable to the TV, and the other to the AVR. Depending upon which one you want to use, select the correct position on the switch.

Also, after making above connections, what are the various settings /adjustments to be done on the
a) AVR
b) LCD (if any)

In the AVR, use the supplied mike and use Auto Set up. Let that run for a few days, then you can manually change the speaker levels, impedances, and distances. The manual will have detailed instructions. Do not be afraid to experiment. The AVR has a factory reset switch and everything can go back to its original settings.

LCD is difficult to set up unless you have a set up disc. For most cases the factory setting will suffice. See if you can borrow a HT set up disc. That will make your life so easy.

Cheers

My question is : with the above, whenever I want to watch satellite TV I would need to switch on everything. While I dont mind that for certain programmes (where SQ needs to be great), can I have the option of watching TV only thru LC speakers without having to switch a whole set of cables around.
If so, whats the best connectivity structure to have the above optionality of watching stelline chanels either thru the HTS speakers or thru LCD speakers?

Going by what I read on this forum, I don't think it is worth upscaling STB output, and you have component output on STB anyways. To make AVR optional (for audio alone) while watching TV, I suggest the following:

STB > LCD - Component
STB > LCD - L+R Audio (RCA)
LCD > AVR - L+R Audio (RCA) from LCD Audio-out

If your STB has optical/coaxial out, the equation changes.

Unless you really want to upscale the STB output, you can avoid buying the component switch and 2 sets of extra component cables which were suggested above.

Lastly, does Pio DV610 come region-free or needs to bemade region-free ? If the latter, whats the procedure for doing so.[/B]

Check it by popping in some DVDs, it is not region-free from the factory, but is made so by the dealers. I would assume that all the dealers in India have the region-free ones, though.

Hi Guys
With weeks of research, auditions and great inputs from members of this forum (including previous posts including a few very informanitve posts by venkatcr on connectivity), I have finally purchased the various compoenets of my long awaited home theater system. :yahoo:

The final combo looks as below:

1) Samsung 40" B550 LCD TV
2) Pioneer DV610K DVD player
3) Tata Sky STB
4) Denon 1909 AVR
5) Monitor Audio speakers Silver+Bronze combo (RS6 flooorstanders, RSLCR center, BRFX surrounds, BRW12 subwoofer).
6) 2 nos DAC HDMI cables for AVR to TV and DVDP to AVR connectivity, 1 no. DAC subwoofer cable, 14AWG DAC cables for front speakers and 16AWG for surrounds

All items except the speakers have been delivered. Speakers expected by next week. On the Sub am still in two minds - whether BRW12 is sufficient or should i go for Velodyne (I still have an option to change this - so would apprecaite any views on helping me make a final decision this...):rolleyes:

Currently I have just set up the LCD and STB for normal TV viewing and DVDP directly to LCD thru HDMI for moviees. The Sammy PQ is great though sound is ok for normal TV viewing (news etc) but not too great for movies etc (hope to resolve this with the eagerly awaited MA speakers).

Now I needed your guidance on the installation. From various threads on this forum, my understanding of the connections are as follows:

1) DVDP >> AVR - HDMI cable
2) AVR >> LCD - HDMI Cable
3) AVR >> Sub - subwoofer cable
4) AVR >> Front speakers - 14AWG cables
5) AVR >> Surround speakers - 16AWG cables

Request your confirmation that the above is correct or is there any other better way...

6) STB to LCD - this is currently thru component. Once the AVR is set up I presume the connection will be:

STB >> AVR - component..

a) AVR
b) LCD (if any)

Lastly, does Pio DV610 come region-free or needs to bemade region-free ? If the latter, whats the procedure for doing so.

Thanks in advance
Cheers

Congrats on your purchase.
Very good selection indeed. Though I feel for movies RS6 may sound tad bright which can be controlled by reducing the treble a bit when wathing movies. But for audio RS6 are excellent - way ahead of other speakers around its price point.

Denon being a neutral speaker would balance RS6 quite well though there are a few other warmer AVRs/amps as well.

Velodyne makes good subwoofers and may balance MA Silver fronts and centers brightness better than MA bronze sub.

I would think it may be better to route the STB thru the AVR. But leave it to other senior members to comment.
Have fun

Hi Shyam,

Congrats on your purchase. Would be great if you could post the prices for the components and from where you purchased these.

Velodyne makes good subwoofers. Did you audition it? Is it better than MA?

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hi Shyam,

Congrats on your purchase. Would be great if you could post the prices for the components and from where you purchased these.

Velodyne makes good subwoofers. Did you audition it? Is it better than MA?

Thanks,
Prakash.

thank you all.
I have got Tata sky not plus since I believe the only main diff is recording

Prices at Mumbai
Pio 610- 6k @ Alfa
Denon 1908 36.5k
Monitors combo around 1.5L

Got it installed today.Enjoying it. Btw in denon 1909 is there a way to adjust the treble and bass ie manual equalizer rather than using preset modes?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back