Instrumental

Kumar442244

Hello all,
Wishing you all a very happy Diwali.
Was wondering as to why there is practically no discussion around instrumental music in here. M sure there are a lot of enthusiasts who cherish this genre, me included.
Being a big fan of instrumental music, would love to hear suggestions.
Few suggestions from my side-
- veena in Vienna by punia srinivas
- lasya (traces of you) anushka Shankar.
- naked - anushka Shankar.

Plz flow in your valuable suggestions.

Last edited:
Hello all,
Wishing you all a very happy Diwali.
Was wondering as to why there is practically no discussion around instrumental music in here. M sure there are a lot of enthusiasts who cherish this genre, me included.
Being a big fan of instrumental music, would love to hear suggestions.
Few suggestions from my side-
- veena in Vienna by punia srinivas
- lasya (traces of you) anushka Shankar.
- naked - anushka Shankar.

Plz flow in your valuable suggestions.
@Kumar442244
Hi bro, if you are into vinyl then suggestions are many. Siter recital by maestroes Pt. Ravi Shankar, Pt.Nikhil Banerjee, sarod recital by ustad Amjad Ali Khan( specially raga DARBARI), santoor recital by PT Shivkumar Sharma ( specially raga kirwani and Kedar) and some wonderful classical instrumental jugalbandi . Besides this I can share an album which I like though not from Indian classical and that is instrumental hits of Honey and Jayanthi released in 1982. This album sounds very nice. Veena recital by the maestro Chittibabu is also my fav. Please share some more in this not so discussed genre.

@Kumar442244
... Pt.Nikhil Banerjee, sarod recital by ustad Amjad Ali Khan( specially raga DARBARI) ..

Thanks for this post!! I have lost count of how many time I listened Raga Bhimpalasi, Raag Malkauns and Raag Bageshree from Pt. Nikhil Banejee. Also there here is a small video from him, shows how fast he can play.

Last edited:
Oh, that's so broad a category! Are you into Fusion? Try the albums by Shakti, Ananda Shankar and Mahavishnu Orchestra... if you already haven't! Bikram Ghosh and Trilok Gurtu made some good stuff too. Ravi Shankar's work with Yehudi Menuhin is timeless. Music from Satyajit Ray's films is also very special. Ahh... can go on for ever.

There are so many to list, I'll start with three albums :)

Hindustani classical: Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia - Album: Saans (Breath) - Label: Navras records

Carnatic classical: Kudamaloor Janardanan - Album: Swathi Murali - Label: Manorama music

Classical Fusion: Sound scapes - Zakir Hussain/Shiv Kumar Sharma/Hariprasad Chaurasia - Label - Music Today

I like playing instrumental songs for lightening the mood in house parties. Came across playlist on Spotify for Bollywood instrumental. Though its good but doesn't suit very well for a party. Would appreciate if anyone has any suggestions for instrumental songs playlist for house party.
Meanwhile do have a look at the Spotify playlist. Some songs there are great.

Niladri Kumar, Chris Botti, Ottmar Liebert, Tanghetto, Camiel, Candy Dufler, Acoutic Blues, Acoustic Guitar.

I have radio stations created for these in Apple Music and Pandora.

And of course the Indian legends of sitar, shahnai, tabla, santoor etc are in the list too.

Pt. Nikhil Banerjee again.... Mesmerizing Tabla by Ustad Zakir Hussain:
youtube.com/watch?v=pQxk82DGKhM

Nice native american flute by Saregama:
youtube.com/watch?v=XE6Pxa5PORc

If you liked Saregama's music, here is his channel on jamendo (you can download all his music but low rez only):
jamendo.com/artist/4812/saregama

Not everyone's cup of tea but if you are a string instrument fan and prog metal fan then check out Apocalyptica. Couple of stand-out tracks:

Stroke:
youtube.com/watch?v=G8v3S9YaAXo&list=OLAK5uy_lC6LPthRnJdfmCdF4DWheWCSxJtSkMDLk&index=6

Last Hope (drums by Dave Lombordo):
youtube.com/watch?v=bvP_7XUXMBs&list=OLAK5uy_lC6LPthRnJdfmCdF4DWheWCSxJtSkMDLk&index=7

Ashes Of The Modern World:
youtube.com/channel/UCru9ErWdSgEG8VO8xtBHFuQ

Their youtube channel: youtube.com/channel/UCru9ErWdSgEG8VO8xtBHFuQ

@sound1
Glad to know that you have liked it. Really Anushka successfully carries the baton of our legacy. From this apart I also like Shivkumar Sharma Hariprosad Chaurasia jugalbandi. It is said that gaana rooh ki Gaza Hai ( music is the food for the soul).

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back