Integrated Amplifier for Polk R200

So after a few days of playing around, my impression of this topping stack is an extremely clean sound with plenty of power and the bass weight is just awesome. For poorly recorded tracks it could somewhat sound sharp and fatiguing. I only wish the e50 had some warmth. It could sound somewhat bright at times which is a big no-no for me. Other than this, pretty much happy with the purchase although I might put this stack up for sale if its synergy with the polk r200 is not as desired. Hopefully, it does not sound as bright with the polk r200 as it does with the dali spektor 2. Having said all this, I am still pretty much interested in buying a used Audiolab 6000A / Marantz pm7000N / pm8006 :D Also, I love the sound of the zen dac v2 way better than the e50 for my music.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-04-18 at 5.15.05 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-04-18 at 5.15.05 PM.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
For poorly recorded tracks it could somewhat sound sharp and fatiguing. I only wish the e50 had some warmth. It could sound somewhat bright at times which is a big no-no for me.
Generally DACs are very very slightly colored, DAC should be transparent.
When using Zen DAC did the sharpness go away? Was it still bright?

I am still pretty much interested in buying a used Audiolab 6000A / Marantz pm7000N / pm8006 :D
I am confused now, I thought the hunt was over with the Topping stack.

Generally DACs are very very slightly colored, DAC should be transparent.
When using Zen DAC did the sharpness go away? Was it still bright?

I am confused now, I thought the hunt was over with the Topping stack.
For nearfield listening, when I pair the zendac v2 with fx audio m160e , the dalis sounded awesome, there is no sharpness or fatigue whatsoever.
However, the e50 when paired with m160e and PA5 both sounded somewhat on the brighter side. Although with the PA5 it is not as bright. I believe the Dalis are also somewhat bright sounding speakers to beginwith.

If not for nearfield listening, they sound just fine though.

As for the amp hunt, I don't know I still have this urge and need to have a listen with the Audiolab and Marantz amp before I settle with my system :D Now, I am also considering saving up some more and getting a Linton heritage rather than the r200. Seriously, this hobby is such a pain! 🤣🤣

To sum it up, I am 70-80% happy with the topping stack. But I need 100% happiness 😂

Last edited:
Off topic: Can anyone tell me whether I can connect the ifi zen one signature DAC to topping PA5? The topping pa5 has only balanced connections (L+R), whereas the ifi zen one signature has one balanced out (no L and R connection). Can this be solved using and adapter? Kindly help.

On further research, since I will be doing lots of streaming, is it advisable to go ahead with Powernode 2i for the polk r200?
Also, here is a sound demo comparison between
1. audiolab 6000a + wharfedale 12.2 (
)
and
2. audiolab 6000a + polk r200 (
)

In the sound demo above, I think the 12.2 sounds better than the r200 with the audiolab 6000a for my taste, especially the vocals.
The 12.2 sounds thicker/richer I feel, although this is just through youtube, so in real life I may have a different opinion.

Anyone who owns both or who have listened to both 12.2 and the R200 may please enlighten me on the sound please.
As for the amp, I really want to purchase the Audiolab 6000A, but is the Powernode 2i comparable since it has better streaming capabilities. Or I should just add a streamer with the Audiolab 6000A later on?
This channel is a joke. It compared the Klipsch RP600M to a KEF Q350 with a Cambridge Audio CXA81. I have all of the above and neither speaker sounded like it actually does with the said amp, especially the KEF which it got horribly wrong. While one many think that the Klipsch sounds like a Klipsch because of the elevated treble, I'm afraid that's only a snippet of the whole story which is MIA. Too many variables by the time it reaches the viewers ear to be reliable. FYI, i used two different headphones playing from a pretty decent DAC+Amp combo - the RME ADI-2 FS which has a neutral presentation.

Last edited:
This channel is a joke. It compared the Klipsch RP600M to a KEF Q350 with a Cambridge Audio CXA81. I have all of the above and neither speaker sounded like it actually does, especially the KEF which it got horribly wrong. While one many think that the Klipsch sounds like a Klipsch because of the elevated treble, they're wrong as well. Too many variables by the time it reaches the viewers ear to be reliable. FYI, i used two different headphones playing from a pretty decent DAC+Amp combo.
Glad to know. Thanks

Off topic: Can anyone tell me whether I can connect the ifi zen one signature DAC to topping PA5? The topping pa5 has only balanced connections (L+R), whereas the ifi zen one signature has one balanced out (no L and R connection). Can this be solved using and adapter? Kindly help.
Use the pentaconn out to connect it to the PA5 to keep the signal balanced. I have this for my Ifi Zen Dac and it sounds clearly better than the RCA outs - https://www.headphonezone.in/products/ifi-audio-4-4mm-to-xlr-cable

I found the arcam amps work really well with the polks. Had the combo for a long while. (no experience with the mentioned model)

I'm also going for the polk r200 and I'm planning to get the cambridge cxn v2 streamer paired with a power amp. Many reviews say the cambridge streamer gives a warmer sound, do you think it will be a good match for the r200?

Last edited:
I'm also going for the polk r200 and I'm planning to get the cambridge cxn v2 streamer paired with a power amp. Many reviews say the cambridge streamer gives a warmer sound, do you think it will be a good match for the r200?
I have not purchased the r200 yet, will probably get it by next month. From what I have read so far, and what I have been suggested by various reviewers, they suggested I pair it with an amp that has a neutral sound signature. I will give my thoughts on how they sound with my setup once I get them. Personally, for my taste, I feel the cambridge would be a nice pair since I prefer warmer sounds.

I have not purchased the r200 yet, will probably get it by next month. From what I have read so far, and what I have been suggested by various reviewers, they suggested I pair it with an amp that has a neutral sound signature. I will give my thoughts on how they sound with my setup once I get them. Personally, for my taste, I feel the cambridge would be a nice pair since I prefer warmer sounds.
Cambridge amp?

So, I finally got the Polk R200 and my initial impression is that it did not WOW me, they are okay and enjoyable, but definitely not a step up from my Dali Spektor 2 and Mission QX-2 with my equipment. For desktop use the spektor 2 is better, for living/bedroom use, I believe the qx2 and r200 are in the same league but the bass on the qx2 is much much better than the r200. Well, the speakers still need burning in/opening up, so my opinion may change in the future. As for now, this is how I feel.

So, I finally got the Polk R200 and my initial impression is that it did not WOW me, they are okay and enjoyable, but definitely not a step up from my Dali Spektor 2 and Mission QX-2 with my equipment. For desktop use the spektor 2 is better, for living/bedroom use, I believe the qx2 and r200 are in the same league but the bass on the qx2 is much much better than the r200. Well, the speakers still need burning in/opening up, so my opinion may change in the future. As for now, this is how I feel.
Besides being a matter of personal taste, it's difficult to convincingly outdo the Mission QX-2 within a budget of 1L insofar as bookshelfs are concerned.

They are a bargain (if one can still find them).

Besides being a matter of personal taste, it's difficult to convincingly outdo the Mission QX-2 within a budget of 1L insofar as bookshelfs are concerned.

They are a bargain (if one can still find them).
Agreed, I always thought the qx2 was overrated as they were my first passive speakers and had not heard many speakers then, but after being on this audio journey for some time now, the qx2 is definitely an absolute gem. I also agree that I would need to spend more than 1L in order to get a significant upgrade in sound quality.

Might wanna demo below speakers:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back