Interest Check: Full day carpentry workshop in Bangalore

I have a specific challenge lined up gor the meet.

1.How to drill an airtight hole for the speaker terminal which is 10mm long when we use a 19mm thick board. It is not as straightforward as you imagine once you inspect the MX terminals I have.

2. How to chamfer the driver hole. From 2" diameter to 4 or 6.

Anyone up to it?

Sent from mobile on a crappy keyboard. Pls excuse typos.

Not sure I understand that correctly are you trying to do something like this

Attachments

• terminal.jpg
    terminal.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 150
Because I dont want a 1 or 2mm width patch or area in my speaker box when the whole box uses 19mm thick board.

Hole saw will not chamfer. And I need 2" hole to be chamfered witha 45 degree angle.

--G0bble

if its mdf, you can use a largish half round file (for round chamfer, use triangular for angles) and do it with hand, draw the lines and just file it. it comes pretty decent. the purpose of chamfering is to provide ventilation to the driver motor, so that the voice coil doesnt get hot, specially with thicker baffles. looks anyway arent important as its internal.

if its mdf, you can use a largish half round file (for round chamfer, use triangular for angles) and do it with hand, draw the lines and just file it. it comes pretty decent. the purpose of chamfering is to provide ventilation to the driver motor, so that the voice coil doesnt get hot, specially with thicker baffles. looks anyway arent important as its internal.

No... I had posted a link to an article before. Chamfering improves SQ.

No... I had posted a link to an article before. Chamfering improves SQ.

it doesnt degrade the sq by keeping the voice coil cool. if someone is saying something else, i suspect its snake oil. could you please post the article link here. search on google for chamfered pics with driver and non chamfered pics with driver, it will become clear.

it doesnt degrade the sq by keeping the voice coil cool. if someone is saying something else, i suspect its snake oil. could you please post the article link here. search on google for chamfered pics with driver and non chamfered pics with driver, it will become clear.

Here is a link - chamfering driver holes

Snake oil with masala and all ... :)

--G0bble

yeah, i've read that one, he's also talking about ventilation only. and if you see, any of the chamfered ones are ok. no need to make it smooth/uniform/pretty/machined etc. just ventilation will do. check my er18mtm thread, mine were done manually with a file (by the carpenter). I havent done the whole thing, left areas where screws fit in, wasnt sure if i will use screws or nuts or whatever. that scheme is used by quite a few people on pe forums.

Hi,
Sorry for not updating this thread.

As mentioned earlier, the co-ordinator had given a headsup that the Training Facility would be busy with trainings and only have free slots in the new year. Did check with him few days back and he would let me know if there were any free slots.

Will update this thread if I hear from him.

Hi Santosh,
Could you please include my name in the first list. I would love to attend one such workshop if any such workshops are planned.. Would love to come over to Bangalore to attend this workshop.

Thanks

Hi Santosh,

I am interested to attend this workshop in Bangalore. Please count me in.
Any updates on the workshop dates?

Thanks.

Update: Shankar, the training co-ordinator we were speaking to is no longer with Bosch. I will have to re-initiate a conversation with the training Center at Bosch.

Will keep you posted. Sorry, progress will be slow as I am having a hectic schedule at work.

On the other hand, will we need to learn woodworking any more once IKEA stores are all over the country thanks to Mr Manmohan Singh :)

On the other hand, I guess we WILL need to learn woodworking if we happen to go by IKEA.
:eek:hyeah:

... Repairing every 3-4 months!

Guys, I have not much of a response after the previous chap Shankar left Bosch. I have requested a Bosch employee for help. Will keep you all posted.

Folks, you may want to visit "Bosch DIY Square" which is a lounge kind of place where most Bosch tools can be seen and felt and used along with expert advice on how to use them. Somebody I know has been there for some consulting on tools for his hobby and was mighty impressed. This is located opposite the back entrance of Bosch at Adugodi...

HTH

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back