Intermittent sound from Left FS

suman

Hi Guys,
I am faced with a weird problem with my setup. My left FS goes completely blank, no output whatsoever.
When I disconnect and reconnect the wire the sound immediately comes back and stays on for some times. Some times it stays till I power down my AVR, sometimes 3days at a stretch without any problem; then goes blank again. Checked with tester and there were power in FS, so ideally wire should be left out

I have tried various troubleshooting, re calibrated entire setup, swapped wire between right and left (when I swiped the same problem can be observed in right FS). Question is what is wrong here?

i had my system Bi-wired, post the problem I have made it single wired and the same problem can be observed in both the wires connected individually.
Checked with tester and there were power in speaker, so ideally wire should be left out but still no sound. This happens irrespective of source TV, BT, Android box or in FM.

Which unit is at fault here? My AVR, Speaker or wire?

My Setup:
AVR: Denon 540BT
Speaker: Taga Harmony TAV 606-SE
SW: Taga TSW 200

Apologies for the long post and thank in advance

Thanks,
Suman

So if I understand, its the same channel, the Front Left, that has the issue, even if you swap the speakers? Are all the sources connected via a single hdmi or they are separate HDMI cables going into the receiver?

MaSh

swapped wire between right and left (when I swiped the same problem can be observed in right FS).
Do you mean Left channel out connected to right spk and vice versa (OR) just exchanged the entire cable so that Left channel still connected to left spk and vice versa for right spk?

So if I understand, its the same channel, the Front Left, that has the issue, even if you swap the speakers? Are all the sources connected via a single hdmi or they are separate HDMI cables going into the receiver?

MaSh
Actually its the opposite, when I swap right channel cable to Left channel then the issue can be observed in Right channel.

Most of the time TV is connected via HDMI, rest is BT, or FM.

Do you mean Left channel out connected to right spk and vice versa (OR) just exchanged the entire cable so that Left channel still connected to left spk and vice versa for right spk?

When I swap right channel cable to Left then the Left works fine, Right starts giving me trouble.

So your problem is upstream. You are doing the right thing. Just continue swapping between left and right - from speaker upstream - every connection, actually each end of every connector. As long as the problem keeps switching, keep going upstream. The moment the problem stops switching (remains in same channel), it’s the component whose you switched just before this is the one with the problem.

So your problem is upstream. You are doing the right thing. Just continue swapping between left and right - from speaker upstream - every connection, actually each end of every connector. As long as the problem keeps switching, keep going upstream. The moment the problem stops switching (remains in same channel), it’s the component whose you switched just before this is the one with the problem.

Can you please elaborate, I am unable to understand. My question is as soon as I unplug and re-plug the cable problem disappears, so the wire is culprit or the speaker connector or the AVR?

If any of you feel there is a problem with AVR connector then let me know what type of clip should I use, my AVR connector are spring type and currently naked wire is inserted into them.

Actually its the opposite, when I swap right channel cable to Left channel then the issue can be observed in Right channel.

Most of the time TV is connected via HDMI, rest is BT, or FM.

Did you try some other cables? I am sorry, still a bit cofused.

1. Swapping speakers: Swap Left and Right speakers. No change to cable connected at the receiver end. What do you notice?
2. Swapping Cable: Swap cable connected at the receiver end. Right channel cable, connect to Left Out on receiver. Left channel cable, connect to Right Out on the receiver. No change on Speaker End. What do you notice?

Make sure, the cables are frayed and touching any part of the receiver body. It can cause shorting and show symptoms that you are seeing. If you have any spare cables, do try to connect them to check.

MaSh

Did you try some other cables? I am sorry, still a bit cofused.

1. Swapping speakers: Swap Left and Right speakers. No change to cable connected at the receiver end. What do you notice?
2. Swapping Cable: Swap cable connected at the receiver end. Right channel cable, connect to Left Out on receiver. Left channel cable, connect to Right Out on the receiver. No change on Speaker End. What do you notice?

Make sure, the cables are frayed and touching any part of the receiver body. It can cause shorting and show symptoms that you are seeing. If you have any spare cables, do try to connect them to check.

MaSh
I didn't swap the speakers as its a bit of work. I did what you mention in #2 and the Right Channel speaker started giving problem.

Problem is I don't have any spare cable to try, but then again if the cable is problem then there should not be any power in speakers right? But I have tested and there is power (basic home tester)

I didn't swap the speakers as its a bit of work. I did what you mention in #2 and the Right Channel speaker started giving problem.

Problem is I don't have any spare cable to try, but then again if the cable is problem then there should not be any power in speakers right? But I have tested and there is power (basic home tester)
Oh okay. So you see the issue consistent on a single channel irrespective of what you swap? If yes, then it could be an issue with the receiver.

MaSh

Sometimes if wire connection is loosed on the backside of AVR, then AVR stoops sending signal to that channel.This can also happen if any cable is attached to printout of that channel,Today when I started my AVR. both R & L was not working. Reason was simple. Yesterday I had connected speakers to different amp and AVR couldn't find them(this is unusual though). So just tightened connectors and all set to go. Restarted AVR.
To check your AVR, try headphones in socket to find if still issue persists.

Sometimes if wire connection is loosed on the backside of AVR, then AVR stoops sending signal to that channel.This can also happen if any cable is attached to printout of that channel,Today when I started my AVR. both R & L was not working. Reason was simple. Yesterday I had connected speakers to different amp and AVR couldn't find them(this is unusual though). So just tightened connectors and all set to go. Restarted AVR.
To check your AVR, try headphones in socket to find if still issue persists.
If wire is loose then there should not be any power in the speaker, right? I have checked even if there is no sound there is power in the speaker.

Mine connector is spring loaded, can you suggest a good connector I may use.

Oh okay. So you see the issue consistent on a single channel irrespective of what you swap? If yes, then it could be an issue with the receiver.

MaSh
Issue is consistent in one channel based on the speaker cable, when left Channel cable swapped to Right then Right gives problem otherwise left gives problem

Update: Tried new cable, same problem reappears. Swapped channels, again same problem, one speaker down. Disconnect and reconnect, sound comes from both channels. Switch off AVR for the day, turn on next day, no sound from one Channel. Only consistent in all these is the wires which were connected to left channel previously gives problems.

I am drawing power from 6amp socket, do I need to move to 15 amps? Earlier 6 amps were working fine.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back