Internal crack on my Samsung PS51D550 Plasma TV. Warranty denied.

Though this post may not be of a help in your present case, posting for the general information and use of all the fellow members.

It is always better to cover all your personal high-end equipment such as TVs, AVRs, Refrigerator, Microwave, Laptop/I-pad, Digicam, etc. under insurance covering risk of accidental damages, breakdowns, theft etc. Premium costs are negligible and this way one can cover all the risks which may not be otherwise covered under manufacturers' standard warranties.

Recently have added Pana 50VT20D (cost INR 75,000/- with 1 + 2year additional Panel warranty) in existing policy. Cost - INR 750/- plus Service Tax.

This will give the desired peace of mind without putting a big burden on the pocket.

Does it cover accidental breakage like a child throwing something at it?

????

It appears you have a stress crack. They are quite common in glass and is most likely a defect in material or workmanship. Your warranty should cover this, but the warranty is like insurance, where the company will try every way possible to cast doubt on your claim so they don't need to pay. Of course Court is an option, but you might save a little time with an executive appeal first. Write the CEO a polite letter, in English, explaining your situation in one or two sentences. Then ask him to make you whole, and replace the panel. Be sure to quote you name, address, country, model and serial number with purchase date. He is a very nice man, and most likely attach a "buck slip" to your letter and pass it down the chain of command. You solution will find its way from the top down easier than working its way up. Good Luck.

Mr. Geesung Choi, CEO
Samsung Group
1320-10, Seocho 2-Dong,
Seocho-Gu
Seoul 137-857
South Korea

Hi yrk1969,

For TV, it covers loss or damage due to fire, lighting; explosion of gas, bursting and overflowing of water tanks, apparatus or pipes; aircraft or articles dropped therefrom; earthquake, fire and/or shock; flood, inundation, typhoon, storm, tempest, hurricane, tornado and cyclone; riot, strike or malicious act; burglary and/or house breaking or theft; accidental external means; mechanical or electrical breakdown.

In the past, I have claims settled for replacement of main motor of a full automatic Washing Machine, motherboard of a HP laptop and breakdown repair of a Toshiba laptop without any issue. Of cource, as per policy terms, one need to bear a nominal amount/% of the total repair cost.

Hope it helps.

Hi yrk1969,

For TV, it covers loss or damage due to fire, lighting; explosion of gas, bursting and overflowing of water tanks, apparatus or pipes; aircraft or articles dropped therefrom; earthquake, fire and/or shock; flood, inundation, typhoon, storm, tempest, hurricane, tornado and cyclone; riot, strike or malicious act; burglary and/or house breaking or theft; accidental external means; mechanical or electrical breakdown.

In the past, I have claims settled for replacement of main motor of a full automatic Washing Machine, motherboard of a HP laptop and breakdown repair of a Toshiba laptop without any issue. Of cource, as per policy terms, one need to bear a nominal amount/% of the total repair cost.

Hope it helps.

Offtopic: thanks for your answer on insurance of TV and electronic items.
I'm interested in taking an insurance for LED TV which costed me Rs. 85000.
Could you please tell me which companies can provide insurance to elctronic items and how to contact them ? Any pointer is appreaciated.

I am sure there are many ways it can crack, but yes it can crack without external damage. One of my plasma's fell over, in many places the inside glass was cracked but the outer hard plastic (?) did not show damage. So the tech may have a point. Not saying that you broke it but tech can always claim it.

I agree...just yesterday a friend of mine dropped his samsung galaxy on its screen. The outer screen remained scratchless while the internal screen cracked up.

Offtopic: thanks for your answer on insurance of TV and electronic items.
I'm interested in taking an insurance for LED TV which costed me Rs. 85000.
Could you please tell me which companies can provide insurance to elctronic items and how to contact them ? Any pointer is appreaciated.

Same question here. I tried ICICI Lombard but they don't have accidental coverage.

The policy I have is from one of the state insurance companies and is called "Householder's Insurance Policy". It covers fire, burglary, etc. of household items and breakdown of domestic appliances, including TV and loss of baggage while travelling. The total premium is negligible.

IMO, getting insurance cover for TV alone will not be possible.

Hope it helps

Well it looks like fate had different ideas for my TV... couple of weeks back my kid threw his toy car at it in a fit of anger which resulted in a HUGE crack on the TV. Lost the picture completely. Called customer care and put in a request to have the panel replaced.
The part was not in stock and had to be ordered. They came and installed it yesterday. Total cost Rs. 25700 !:mad:
On the brighter side - I have a whole new TV. :yahoo: You will be surprised to know that the only thing they reused from my old tv was the frame and stand and one board that contained the component/HDMI connectors!! So yeah it IS actually a new TV.

This is a classic case of irresponsible customer service. Please refer this to the consumer court. On another note, if it relates to Transportation damage (from manufacturer to dealer) it may be difficult to proove as these shrewd dealers normally change the box and supply the item. Many years ago, when I bought a Worldspace Panasonic RE WS10 radio, 2 days after purchase, the dealer showed up at my doorstep to collect the cardboard box and packaging. When I enquired why, he said that there is another set at the shop with a damaged box and that's why nobody is buying it. Check your cardboard packaging and try to ascertain if the very same serial number of your TV is mentioned on it (some manufacturers don't have the serial numbers on there anyways).

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back