international shipment release-?

Hi,

Suri Hurray :yahoo: ! Congrats on the smooth transaction :D! was waiting for this,thought let it come then I'll comment :p !

Well I will not talk bout the price you paid,Its understandable that you have thought very well before ordering it :eek:hyeah: !!

I however would like to just ask one question,Why did you choose to buy the recession buster kit instead of any other ?? offcourse keeping price in mind you might've taken the decision,but still just curious !

I myself wanted to buy some kit,But due these import,customs hassle dropped the idea :p!!

Anyways have you looked at this Fountek Kit ?

Its one of my Fav kits,comes with ribbon tweeter which sort a my Fav at the moment :eek:hyeah: (been dying to lay my hands on pair of them :p)!!

Anyways do post the pics and update Us with the latest ;)!!

Regards.

Hi Sreekanth,
i chose the RB kit primarily because it was so cheap that it seemed incredible value for the money ($59 for the vifa woofers,tweeters and assembled crossovers) and also because I wanted to make a pair of bookshelves for my son who is in a hostel and studying in college. He likes to listen to music, and i thought this would be perfect for abuse by him and his friends in his room at the hostel.

i saw the Fountek kit and it looks high end, and definitely worth it!
regards
suri

Hi,

i chose the RB kit primarily because it was so cheap that it seemed incredible value for the money

Suri just I guessed it before ;) ! Glad to know its going to your son;) ! what electronics he's going to pair this with ??

Yeah man The Fountek is absolute steal ! too bad I cannot afford it :sad:! and with the Dollar Vs Rupee having no sign of easing I doubt I'll ever be able to go for one :rolleyes:!

So by the way did you receive the package ?? waiting anxiously for you to post the pics and details !

Regards.

i had to go and get the package from the fedex office - there was a shortage of field staff :)

:):):):):):)

RELIEVED AND THANKS TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS FOR DIRECTIONS RECEIVED:)

Fedex usually does the Job promptly.
The worst you can do is to send stuff via USPS (United state postal service). Do not choose this option when you shop.
I once ordered some tubes from tube depot via USPS and when I received the package it was badly mutilated. It looked like they played football with packet :sad: I refused to accept the shipment I shipped it back to tube depot. I made sure they send me replacements via Fedex before I shipped these back.
The Fed Ex guys delivered to my door step within a week. Perfect shape and condition :)
The customs do not bother for stuff even around 200$. My friend got some eight Eichman bullet plugs costing some 8k shipped Via Fedex. No hassles.

Note: Keep checking the status online. If you see delivery exception it usually means incorrect address. If you see this, immediately call up the local delivery office with your tracking number and you can collect it personally. I did this once when I got my herbies isolation footers shipped. These guys can screwup with the address big time. They ussually wait for two days and send it back.

Last edited:
Congrats Suri. Aare how many drivers!! Fantastic!
The box looks flimsy! Thank goodness they are intact!

some observations - the recession buster kit drivers (VIFA) and assembled cross-overs were incredibly cheap, but sad to say that the woofers look incredibly cheap and ill-made
the basket is either cheap polymer or ABS, and is fused to the magnet by heat (one can see melted material at the junction). the spider is not ventilated.
the tweeters look altogether better, the cross-overs look good and solders are nicely applied. I suppose for the price .................!

the subwoofer 10" by Seas is another story altogether! I have seen big magnets and then some, but the magnet on this one is about the size of the cone itself. Incredibly well made, and looks like it will need an amplifier with a iron hand!

waiting for the Keiga amp KGND 5250, which I will get about or on june 25th, and then both will go into this -

the one that looks like a grandfather clock is the subwoofer housing made for this driver

Last edited:
Wow! Those sub-woofer & speaker housings are out of this world. Amazing "modern art" design. Other those speakers ready? How do you manage to design and make those?! You are very talented! It must be giving you immense sense of satisfaction, making your own unique speakers and immersing yourself in those good sounds! Great!

Hi,

Suri as they picture says a 1000 words :eek:hyeah: ! yours is no different ;)!

Am very very glad that it all worked out well and such ! was worried a bit since so much was said ! also as you these some of the scare tactics that has worked on me and prompted me not to venture into this uncharted territory (to me atleast ) !!

But after this I surely can give it thought ;)! all thanks to you for posting all the details :clapping:!!

Now let me come to the point (although Am still drooling over pics :p ) !! What is that you hold in your hand which is gold plated,the 3 and 4 pic from the bottom (in the first set of pics) ??

some observations - the recession buster kit drivers (VIFA) and assembled cross-overs were incredibly cheap, but sad to say that the woofers look incredibly cheap and ill-made
the basket is either cheap polymer or ABS, and is fused to the magnet by heat (one can see melted material at the junction). the spider is not ventilated.
the tweeters look altogether better, the cross-overs look good and solders are nicely applied. I suppose for the price .................!

Wow :eek: is it so bad ?? in pics atleast it looks decent ! or perhaps are you comparing them with the scanspeak that you have used earlier ?? Anyways you can only get soo much for the money !

So when are you starting the project ;)?? keep us hooked with that info aswell !

Btw keep a tab on my tweeter thread somethings coming up in the near future ;)!!

Regards.

Hi Sreekanth,
those woofers look very bad, even if i compare them to the boltons that i have used and liked. They are incredibly bad, and have seen today that one of them has the magnet and cone on a different axis! This is because the basket frame is attached to the magnet by heat and the coagulation of plastic (and thereby adherence). This method cannot guarantee perfect alignment of the coil in the magnet gap, so there are bound to be issues!

I think even the dainty woofers on SP road are better (when i bought the boltons I did not really look, but i remember that the dainty drivers were not badly made)

In this kit, i would say that the woofers are the weak link in the chain!
regards
suri

Hi Sreekanth,
those woofers look very bad, even if i compare them to the boltons that i have used and liked. They are incredibly bad, and have seen today that one of them has the magnet and cone on a different axis! This is because the basket frame is attached to the magnet by heat and the coagulation of plastic (and thereby adherence). This method cannot guarantee perfect alignment of the coil in the magnet gap, so there are bound to be issues!

I think even the dainty woofers on SP road are better (when i bought the boltons I did not really look, but i remember that the dainty drivers were not badly made)

regards
suri

Hi soundsgreat,

those are tip-toes for the turntable, they are adjustable for height by a screw type mechanism, looks like any good lathe worker can make these.

regards suri

Hi Sreekanth,

regards
suri

Ohh my lord :indifferent14:! that bad,well that says a lot doesn't it ?? here we have a company that we rave bout for being such good driver manufacturer and what do we get :rolleyes:?? this....

have seen today that one of them has the magnet and cone on a different axis!

This is heights :eek: ! I think you already know this but just like to mention it anyway !

When Tamphany bought over the group (Vifa,ScanSpeak,Peerless ) they shifted their manufacturing base of the Vifa and Peerless to China and only choose keep the Scanspeak factory at the original place !

So makes me wonder,perhaps chinese Swine Flu has attached itself to Vifa now :lol: !!

Again for the money what can you say ? but one thing I can and will mention here though is,

Although most of the folks from DIY community ridicule the Indian made drivers and manufacturers,I for one will have great respect towards them as they for the money gave products worth much much more in terms of quality and in comparison with the Imported ones !

Btw I have done couple of postmortems on Dainty's and they are not too bad just as you said ;)!

those are tip-toes for the turntable, they are adjustable for height by a screw type mechanism, looks like any good lathe worker can make these.

Hmm interesting ! something like a spike of a speaker right ?? if so yes most certainly they can be fabricated locally !! but the only problem in that would be the gold plating (very very rare to get it done) and the cost associated with them :p!

Regards.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back