Internet radio stations with Beresford DAc

heliumflight

Hi Audio gurus,

I wish to listen to internet radio stations with computer (which I intend to purchase) USB drive connected to coaxial of my Beresford DAC7510 (without USB).

I googled and found out there is a device called usb transport where one can connect old Beresford dac model(without usb) and enhance the sound quality

I would be much obligied if you can share your personal experiences...

1. Where can I buy this device and whether will it serve my purpose.

Behringer UCA202 USB Audio Interface from zZounds.com!

2. Is the sound quality of these internet stations better in comparision with world space?

3. Do I have to use a hiend quality sound card if I intend to use dac connected with my Bryston amp?

4. Should I buy laptop or Desktop?

Kindest regards
helium

Try these if you are looking at external solutions...

For laptops

creative_sound.jpg
with
optical-cable-1.jpg
to Beresford inputs 3 or 4.

For desktops

transit_callout.jpg

OR

xfi.jpg

Cheers.

Internet radio is ~128kbps MP3, sometimes lower.

I was told that there are few stations that have 256 kbps rate aswell. Please could you check and listen to the same.

I like my music to be running all time and even in my sleep.:yahoo:

Internet radio is ~128kbps MP3, sometimes lower.

I was told that there are few stations that have 256 kbps rate aswell. Please could you check and listen to the same.

I like my music to be running all time and even in my sleep.:yahoo:

It is available but can you tream it without inturuption?
what type of net connection you have?
also IMHO for 256 KBPS is not good for DAC there will be marginal improvement

I plan to get a Airtel broadband unlimited

Don't know what max speed I can stay connected (256)and at what speed to get best results?:sad:

...the million $ question I'm asking is it 60% as good as cd recording.....then only will i go in for additional investment of computer connected to my Dac to my Bryston

It is available but can you tream it without inturuption?
what type of net connection you have?
also IMHO for 256 KBPS is not good for DAC there will be marginal improvement

Last edited:
Agree with Cranky here. Get a SC from Creative and it will do the job or else even a decent enough onboard SC will do the job. Internet radio SQ is on par or below MP3 rips. Does not really justify spending so much on h/w and ISP.

Finally, no it's not as good as 60% of a CD. Of course the difference will not be much on Mid-Fi equipment, but will be pronounced on Hi-End equipment.

hmm - is there any sound card that can take in USB as well as digital in? I think I am again asking for a DAC like Beresford 7520... but is there any thing from sound card makers, and easily available?

There aren't any sound cards available that can produce the same level of detail, soundstage, and ambiance as a decent external DAC. Soundcards are populated by surface mount resistors and ceramic caps, and these kill the sound quality of an analogue signal.

The quality of Internet Radio Station is nothing great as comparable to even 60% performance of a dedicated Cd player. As I am using the same on my Onkyo NR905 which supports Internet radio, and also uses a good DAC.

But there are few exceptions to this as I am a fan of Old Bollywood Titles and specially Kishore Da, or even RD Burman, then there is an Internet radio station like Radio NRI which plays classical bollywood numbers and the sound quality is descent and its defenitely better then what is availiable at Hamara Cd.com. To check out the quality go to http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=771368 open this address on a player like winamp and listen for yourself.

The quality of Internet Radio Station is nothing great as comparable to even 60% performance of a dedicated Cd player.
If you route the IRS signal through a DAC like mine that is designed to handle low quality material with a delicate touch, the end results are nothing short of amazing. Most DACs are designed to process 16 bit CD audio or 24 bit DVD audio with a certain amount of finesse. Few, such as mine, are also designed to handle a broader range of audio signals with a lot more care and attention.

One of the most glaring area is USB. Many designers still use the less than musical, and certainly not HIFI quality PCM270X chip. Off hand I don't know of anyone else who has started to use the genuine HIFI performance PCM290X for audio extraction from a computer.

Stan

And that's why the Bufflao DAC still beats yours sonically, and by a pretty handsome margin :) And oh yes, so does the Audio-Sector DAC, which is also equally world-famous, and just around the same price (to me as a DIY'er, at least).
I see you still believe in Children's stories:lol:. So where are these reviews that make these claims you put your trust in?

Stan

now now kids - no fighting please.

I am sure Mr. Stanley meant otherwise in his statements and Cranky is just pulling Mr. Stanleys leg.

I am not taking sides here but stanley shud nt have started this; it was totally unnecessary.

we are all free to make our comments here but it shudnt be at a personal level.Lets end this here and not take this too far.

We are all in pursuit for a common goal and I also know audiophiles have a good heart as they are always willing to help others...

So please enjoy your music!

OP - I got a china made $99 incl shipping DAC kit this monday from HK. This kit is highly praised by the lampucera guy. I have also ordered a pair of USB to spdif (optical) converters. I tried a couple of radio stations using my laptop->usb->usb-to-spdif-coverter->onkyo receiver-> jbl speakers and I found the quality to be ok.
The DAC chip is not yet assembled. It actually needs two small soldering joints but I do not have a soldering iron and anyways it is going to get integrated with the tube pre. Will see if there is a way out to use its original opamp based analog out along with tube out for a direct comparison.
Once it is ready we can review it along with your 7510 dac on your as well as my systems. Hope to get a couple of mid priced headphones too to listen to the dac+pre combo.

regards

Edit: My system is lying all disconnected as I got some holes made in the back of the AV unit. And then I disconnected the speakers from my stereo system and connected them with avr to listen to the comp with usb->spdif. Hope to put everything back this weekend prolly. Not getting enough time these days/ nights.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back