IP Piracy

I think the lead actors surely do not deserve the kind of money they are paid keeping in mind that they are more like puppets, most of the shoot aspects are dictated to them by director, choreographer, make up man, etc.

V.

I still wonder why actors have to be paid 30 and 40 crores

hehehe!!! -vramak-

but read the first line -

and see-

that, i have carried the conversation further!:)

Man, I don't get how you carried the convo further. Maybe, some more drink will help. Time to steal my dad's scotch now. :D

There are cases where a robber is running after a cop, what happens to our movies which are directly copied from Hollywood, is this not a mother of all piracy?

V.

There are cases where a robber is running after a cop, what happens to our movies which are directly copied from Hollywood, is this not a mother of all piracy?

Gem of a post there! People who download stuff only rob the original owners of monetary benefit.

But many movies today are inspired (Scene by scene ripoff) from hollywood movies or various other sources. These rob the original owners of MONEY as well as take their CREDIT.

Having said that 2 wrongs doesn't make a right. But I would still stick to my earlier opinion.

Those who are selling the original stuff are much richer and generate profits even after very less sale.

Those who are selling pirated stuff are generally poor. So in a way if you buy from them there is better distribution of income in the society! :D :D

Goyal, your arguments are like these:

1. Bollywood in any case copies from Hollywood
2. Actors are overpaid.
3. Producers make money irrespective of whether the movie sells or not
4. Movie pirates are usually poor people.

Thus I am justified in pirating? Actually I am like Robin Hood who steals from the rich to feed the poor?

Strange line of arguments, in my opinion.

Cheers

2. Actors are overpaid.

Thus I am justified in pirating?

Lets look at it point by point! :)

1.) Bollywood copies from Hollywood without either giving them money or credit. So they dont have the "moral" right to cry hoarse over piracy since they are bigger culprit.

2.) Actors being overpaid is not my point. It was someone else' point.

3.) The cost of material should be less if they want people to buy it genuinely. The fact that they still make profits when there is so much piracy suggest that there is ridiculous overpricing so they are able to cover up for huge losses which they suffer because of pirates.

4.) I meant those people at roadside who are selling pirated stuff. Arent those generally poor people?

Thus I am justified in pirating??

I already said in my last post 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Noone is justified. I just raised all other points to say that people from the movie industry dont have any moral right to talk about piracy.

This is a excellent point.

V.

Gem of a post there! People who download stuff only rob the original owners of monetary benefit.

But many movies today are inspired (Scene by scene ripoff) from hollywood movies or various other sources. These rob the original owners of MONEY as well as take their CREDIT.
:D :D

I think we are having a discussion on this matter and it should not be given a label of "arguments" and by the way there are many other points written in this thread so while replying one should consider to cover those points too.

V.

2. Actors are overpaid.

Thus I am justified in pirating? Actually I am like Robin Hood who steals from the rich to feed the poor?

Cheers

where do bootlegs fit into this whole scenario. A guy attends a show, records it and puts it up on the net for others to download. No one owns the copyrights to the show. the band might never release the show on CDs and make money out of it. The show is usually downloaded by the fans who might have most of the legal albums from the bands. So no one has rights and no one is going to make money out of it and hence no losses.

If someone already has purchased a movie on a VCD, why should downloading the same movie in hi def be called piracy. I have paid money for it already to the studios. Why should the content not be important. Once I pay for a movie, I should own the rights to the movie in any bloody format I choose to keep it in. I am not paying for a platter of a disc. I am paying for the movie and the rights to see it when i want it.

People download a lot of movies, which they otherwise wont see in a theater or purchase a BD for that matter. How come its a loss of revenue?

No one can justify piracy. But we need to be clear what is piracy.

1. A few months back if you remember, I sent you a CD of mp3 songs. I had original CD for 95% of the songs I sent you. Never did I feel that what I was doing was piracy in any way. It was sharing a few songs with a friend. However, if I thought burning and posting to be a pain, I could have created a torrent of the songs for you. Now would that be piracy and how is it different from burning and sending a CD across?

2. Vinay, as most of us know, has been very kind to gift many of us from HFV 8 DVDs each. All of them were originals bought legally. Basically he wanted to share his collection with others regular on HFV. This has ben much appreciated. He could also have resorted to torrents to share his DVDs with us instead of taking the pains of arranging, packing, couriering etc. Would that be any different?

I think that torrents are just a new way of sharing with each other. It is no longer possible to share as we did years ago with people across the world, busy and constantly connected to internet. As long the content shared is backed up by the original CD/DVD, it is no different from exchange of songs/movies between friends.

Raghav

2. Actors are overpaid.

Cheers

By the way, Microsoft has probably been at the receiving end of this problem for many decades, and probably more than all the media companies combined. Yet, Bill Gates managed to become the richest man in the world, mainly because Microsoft understood this a lot better and incorporated this into their marketing strategy.

The reasons are totally different. MS controls the world of computing. Over 85% of the world's personal computer run on MS Windows. And while piracy is rampant in this arena as well, corporates and many individuals adhere to licensed versions. Computers (desktops and laptops) sold by brand companies are delivered with pre-installed legal and paid copy of Windows.

i want to say something here that will carry this conversation further -

and so i will -

to the pirate - "Say, bro - that black eye-patch don cut no ice man - get an eye-patch in purple - butt-plugger!

and to the thief - " Say, bro - west-side is the best, you try and come here - i cut you up man, i cut up yo sistah, your sorry brothah is hissturry- i kill you man.

and

generally -

it is the women of the world -

who think of all the less important things - such as -

the food for the day (for the family) - and the "together times" for the family- and hosting "get-togethers" for friends and family - and "quality time".

and the men? (like us)

we debate and hold court on much more important things-

such as -

the EVIL OF PIRACY OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY PIRACY

and

HOW " I COULD CHANGE THE FACE OF INDIAN POLITICS"

and

"THE MISTAKES THE SELECTORS MADE FOR THE WORLD CUP TEAM"

(of course, this keeps the men occupied, and less inclined to destructive outlets for the male hormone!)

women are from earth -

and men are from mars

excusez moi - psychotropic - for thirty five seconds before the next post

@ ajinkya - the law may be an ass - but it is exact in it's reach (depending on those clever minds who interpret it)

That was indeed hilarious Suri! Nice to know that Venus got the same issues as our very own ever warming abode. Guess it gives a whole new perspective when we eventually prepare ourselves to face the impending melting doom. Amen.

I think the lead actors surely do not deserve the kind of money they are paid keeping in mind that they are more like puppets, most of the shoot aspects are dictated to them by director, choreographer, make up man, etc.

V.

This is interesting. It means that if they give Schumacher's ferrari to any random motorhead, he should be racing as good as Schumacher because the car/crew were the same?!

I followed this thread through all the 4 pages. What I am not able to understand is how are we managing to keep it going! Seriously because I dont see any difference of opinion on the basics. Not even one here has said that piracy should be condoned.

By the way I think we should restrict this discussion to video piracy. Piracy, unqualified, is a much larger stigma. Not sure we want to go there.

But all is well when we have fun, I guess :)

the original debate was whether piracy is the same as theft. I've explained how it is not. I am waiting for responses :)

But is there really a point though? What if it is and what if it is not? The long and short of it - that which we all agree upon is that this is something to be frowned upon and even a legally defined infringement.

I thought that was enough. Pardon if I missed anything.

People download a lot of movies, which they otherwise wont see in a theater or purchase a BD for that matter. How come its a loss of revenue?

IMO this is also 1 good point.

The movies I had to see (Rajneeti, Raavan etc) I saw that in theatre itself. The movies I didnt have to see (Housefull, Badmaash company etc) I didnt see in theatre and haven't downloaded them and have no plans to watch in near future.

If there is a movie that I have to definitely watch I would go in a theatre. The movies I would download would be the ones which I wouldnt have watched either in theatre or on VCD. So morally it may be wrong but technically there is no loss of revenue for the original owner.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back