Is a cheap DVDP + DAC (Bereseford) = Entry level CDP (Marantz 5003)

NAD C540 and... Sony CDP-491 (model called Pulse built in good DAC)

Though I like the SQ really great with NAD...

inclined to buy one more C540 (pre owned 3 years old) as am getting good deal 8K. This is another question to seniors, should I buy or go with external DAC? My current HiFi setup is missing good player and using iPod

~VijayK
(NAD 325BEE, MonitorAudio B4, Yamaha RXV450, Yamaha P-100 and 40" Samsung 6 series)

NAD C540 and... Sony CDP-491 (model called Pulse built in good DAC)

inclined to buy one more C540 (pre owned 3 years old) as am getting good deal 8K. This is another question to seniors, should I buy or go with external DAC? My current HiFi setup is missing good player and using iPod

~VijayK
(NAD 325BEE, MonitorAudio B4, Yamaha RXV450, Yamaha P-100 and 40" Samsung 6 series)

You know that NAD has transport problems right? Why dont you consider other options like Marantz CD6003 rather than buy a known defective product? The tone and body of Marantz is also quite nice.

PS: I use M with NAD 325. Its a great match!!

Regards

inclined to buy one more C540 ...

You know that NAD has transport problems right?
Regards

Hi Gobble,
Vijay is already using the NAD, so there is nothing in the transport that really bothers him. If he likes the NAD sound he would not be happy with Marantz (I was not). The only other option for him is to buy a NAD CD player with a digital input for the DAC, which is extremely expensive. The CA DACMAGIC comes close, but even that is three times Vijay's budget.

So Vijay, go for the NAD if you like the sound. There is little that can beat it at the budget you mention.

regards,
Sharad

Hi Sharad,
another reason to go for NAD is single remote control that operates Amp as well. SR5 remote comes with 325BEE works with c540.

can you suggest any other better NAD cdp which will work with SR5 remote and will not have issue like 540? I don't mind to shell out little more.
I can add another 8-10K and make it total about 18K

Thanks in advance,
~VijayK

Hello,

I'm a new member of HFV. I need a help from the experts here.

I have a Pioneer VSX-416-K AVR, and a Sony DVDP (DVP-NS708HP/B
). Now i am working towards a stereo setup. Since my AVR has a 192kHZ/24-Bit DAC, can I use SONY DVDP + AVR's DAC as a CD player for my stereo setup? Can I hope this to work somewhat near to a audiophile CDP?

If you are having a good collection of Audio CDs, its better off with a decent CD player instead of a cheap CDP/DVDP + DAC because the transport quality of the cheap CDP/DVDP will be doubtful. The SQ may be almost same, but with time, the quality of the transport could be a problem because the transport has a major role in reading the CDs properly, if it is not read properly, the remaining investment will be a waste.

If you are more in to MP3s/Flacs and having a small\a medium collection of Audio CDs and a PC with you to rip the CDs (i belong to this category), its better off with a media player like WDLive/Xtreamer/ACRyanMini (spend only < 7 or 8K) or if it is only for music, then a normal media player like Nationale or something similar which supports all the 2 channel audio formats in the 3 - 4K price range + a good DAC. In my case I bought WDLive + Beresford Caiman (which can be used as a Preamp so that i can connect it to a power amp straight away) and I am having an HTPC also, can be used for reading Bluray disks and occassional gaming. The music can either be streamed from your PC or a NAS or an external storage to the Media Player. My Philips 5986 DVDP will also be connected to the DAC for playing CDs occasionally.

If you dont have a PC right now, go for a good HTPC w/ a good sound card or follow the above setup with a basic PC for downloading and ripping.

For making it more practical, buy a small 7" LCD or use the existing PC monitor for the MediaPlayer interface. I am planning to use my 15" LCD (need to design a foldable stand) along with a small timer circuit to switch off after some time, say 1 or 2 minutes. I dont want to switch on my 50" LCD TV or PJ everytime to select a song.

Last edited:
Guys, how different is the dedicated DAC's ( e.g Beresford or CA DAC magic) to that of an AVR's DAC (e.g. Denon 1910) ? I've not heard from a DAC so I don't have much idea. If there is a big difference then I also would love to get a decent DAC for the music (more the number of gadgets, happier I'm:yahoo:). Will it be ok if I connect it to my 1910 for the amplification? Or even for amplification I need to go for a dedicated amp?

BTW, planning to add Wharfedale 9.1/9.2 soon to the fronts.
Forgot to add DVD player I've is Pio 600AV and PS3. Which one will be better for music? Currently using the HDMI connection to play music too.

I think a beresford or dacmagic would be better sounding than the 1610 internal dacs as it a entry level from denon.

For making it more practical, buy a small 7" LCD or use the existing PC monitor for the MediaPlayer interface. I am planning to use my 15" LCD (need to design a foldable stand) along with a small timer circuit to switch off after some time, say 1 or 2 minutes. I dont want to switch on my 50" LCD TV or PJ everytime to select a song.

Hello

I've been researching this for a long time now. I wanted a 7" touchscreen facilitating keyboardless media center contol to attach to an empty 5.25" drive bay move-able hinge joint fitting externally. The costs of 7" (plain ordinary) touchscreen LCDs is prohibitive, typically 250USD or INR 11K from local dealers. For 13.5K here or 9000INR in US you get wonderfull iPod Touch in comparison with multi-touch gestures and accelometer - much more useful in general and also with remote app software for a little extra.

Here is the latest app L5 Remote turns your iPhone or iPod touch into a universal remote -- Engadget

This mid year there will a dozen HD capable NVidia Tegra hand held devices launched with the same or better multi-touch screens than iPod and potentially many free Android apps (hopefully a remote app too or RDP/VNC client). So clearly buying a dedicate touch screen is utter foolishness cost wise.

So hold off on purchasing any useless stuff like an expensive 7" monitor for now. You can keep your HTPC without monitor and use the handheld to control it over wireless.

Edit: PS for 11K you get a 20" LCD!!

HTH
Regards

Last edited:
Hello

I've been researching this for a long time now. I wanted a 7" touchscreen facilitating keyboardless media center contol to attach to an empty 5.25" drive bay move-able hinge joint fitting externally. The costs of 7" (plain ordinary) touchscreen LCDs is prohibitive, typically 250USD or INR 11K from local dealers. For 13.5K here or 9000INR in US you get wonderfull iPod Touch in comparison with multi-touch gestures and accelometer - much more useful in general and also with remote app software for a little extra.

Here is the latest app L5 Remote turns your iPhone or iPod touch into a universal remote -- Engadget

This mid year there will a dozen HD capable NVidia Tegra hand held devices launched with the same or better multi-touch screens than iPod and potentially many free Android apps (hopefully a remote app too or RDP/VNC client). So clearly buying a dedicate touch screen is utter foolishness cost wise.

So hold off on purchasing any useless stuff like an expensive 7" monitor for now. You can keep your HTPC without monitor and use the handheld to control it over wireless.

Edit: PS for 11K you get a 20" LCD!!

HTH
Regards

Why you require a touch screen? A normal 7" screen is available for 2.5 - 3.5K. For controlling the HTPC / Media player, use the remote. If you want to control from another room, use an IR repeater/Extender or a IR to RF converter receiver-transmitter kit.
At the worst case, I have an HTC Android phone, waiting for a good freeware:) other than GMote(not yet used).

Last edited:
Why you require a touch screen? A normal 7" screen is available for 2.5 - 3.5K. For controlling the HTPC / Media player, use the remote. If you want to control from another room, use an IR repeater/Extender or a IR to RF converter receiver-transmitter kit.
At the worst case, I have an HTC Android phone, waiting for a good freeware:) other than GMote(not yet used).

So you look at the screen while using the remote to scroll through playlists? Thats not bad. :)

I was talking about a totally keyboardless setup usable outside the mediaplayer menu as well hence the TC was considered more appropriate. A remote may need extensive programming of keycodes to achieve that.

Where is a 7" LCD available for 3K?

Regards

So you look at the screen while using the remote to scroll through playlists? Thats not bad. :)
Exactly. With the help of an IR extender we can do the same from other rooms also.

I was talking about a totally keyboardless setup usable outside the mediaplayer menu as well hence the TC was considered more appropriate. A remote may need extensive programming of keycodes to achieve that.
A touch screen can be used only with a PC, not with any media player. Touch screen option is indeed expensive. If you are using remote with an HTPC, try some keyboard shortcut softwares like HotKey and assign it through Girder. If you are having some dos programming skills, the HotKey can be programmed using scripts similar to dos.

Where is a 7" LCD available for 3K?

I think its available in SP road. Some time back I saw a 10" chinese panel costs 4500. So the 7" inch should be available aorund 3.5K

Exactly. With the help of an IR extender we can do the same from other rooms also.

A touch screen can be used only with a PC, not with any media player. Touch screen option is indeed expensive. If you are using remote with an HTPC, try some keyboard shortcut softwares like HotKey and assign it through Girder. If you are having some dos programming skills, the HotKey can be programmed using scripts similar to dos.

I think its available in SP road. Some time back I saw a 10" chinese panel costs 4500. So the 7" inch should be available aorund 3.5K

Great! tell me a shop name, I will check it out. I use Linux PC only although I installed a Win7 to check it out and compare graphics drivers.

Did you spot a 7" lcd with vesa compatible mount?

Cheers

Great! tell me a shop name, I will check it out. I use Linux PC only although I installed a Win7 to check it out and compare graphics drivers.

Did you spot a 7" lcd with vesa compatible mount?

Cheers

I dont remember the shop name. But it is at the right side, about 50 mts from the SP road entrance.

Also check with Lynx, he is dealing with lot of chinese stuffs.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back