Is a DAC/streamer needed with Denon X3700H?

trumee

I have a Denon X3700H which is connected to my speakers. My music is on a linux system (so can run any software i want e.g. minidlna). I want to control music using my android phone or even better linux desktop.

Do i need a DAC/streamer like ALLO BOSS2 for streaming music to the Denon? The Denon has a HEOS software but i cant stream my offline music to it.

Thanks

PS: ATM I am using spotify to cast music to Denon, but that doesnt work for my offline media.

You can place your music collection on a network share; the heos mobile app can access a network share. Otherwise, Roon is an excellent option to access/manage offline music.

Roon is an excellent option
$699 is a bit extreme for a media software.

Heos is on mobile only. I need a desktop app which can act as control endpoint too.

I have also looked into BubbleUPNP Pro on Android. The android client is good. However, i am not sure what to install on the desktop to act as control point.

Last edited:

Heos is on mobile only. I need a desktop app which can act as control endpoint too.

I have also looked into BubbleUPNP Pro on Android. The android client is good. However, i am not sure what to install on the desktop to act as control point.
The cheapest option is Audirvana, 7$/month. It marks all the checkboxes of a great media player/manager.

Edit:-
It looks like there is a HEOS control app available on Windows 10. Check this out.

Last edited:
Thanks for these suggestions. I use Linux exclusively, so these don't work for me.

Btw did you take out Roon lifetime subscription?

Nevermind, Roon has no clients for Linux. That killed it for totally.

Last edited:
There is an ongoing discussion in the Roon forum for a Linux client, but nothing has taken off yet. BTW, which distro are you on?

Little late response. You just need to install bubbleupnp on windows so that it will act as a media server. Use mobile app to control the music.

Hi.

Suggets copy all your music to a USB thumb drive or SSD. Doesn't cost much nowadays. Even a 256GB thumb drive is cheap.
Plugin the USB drive into your Denon AVR, and use HEOS app on your phone to play the music you want.

Yes its a pain to keep copying new music into the drive, but this way, you do not have to buy any additional devices.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back