Is a IPOD 4G really worth getting or is there any other device that is better?

Chida

I understand ipod touch 4g is more than a music player (minus) a mobile phone;

As of now I do not have any smartphone, infact I was planning for iphone 3GS, but found 32GB ipod touch 4g in similar price band; would like to know
1.) about the sound quality of ipod touch 4G
2.) How much does downloading a song costs (approx.)
3.) Is buying Ipod touch 4g worth it?
4.) any clue on samsung player 5.0 india launch

I have never bought any apple device; so have lot of doubts, as reviews on internet seems to be mixed as far as apple products are concerned.

My budget is about 20K.

Thanks

please specify if you are looking ipod as a perspective of a gadget or a portable music player...

as a gadget it can be very subjective of what you like..

how if its about audio quality.. 20k you can get a very good pmp and a set of IEM's

please specify if you are looking ipod as a perspective of a gadget or a portable music player...

as a gadget it can be very subjective of what you like..

how if its about audio quality.. 20k you can get a very good pmp and a set of IEM's

Well, More a PMP (I am waiting for Samsung ICS version tablet to be launched, heard it would be launched by Feb-Mar 2012...)...

Yes I am actually looking for a good AQ...I was just considering this as I heard lot on ipod's from various sources.

Could you please expand more on "20k you can get a very good pmp and a set of IEM's" ?

Last edited:
if u need quality music go for cowon. i have used ipod nano 4g and now cowon j3. Later is much ahead in terms of sound quality.

if u need quality music go for cowon. i have used ipod nano 4g and now cowon j3. Later is much ahead in terms of sound quality.

Well, I was just going through cowon pmp reviews in CNET, and found most of forums praising the SQ of Cowon...btw how much did that cost and capacity?

Well, I was just going through cowon pmp reviews in CNET, and found most of forums praising the SQ of Cowon...btw how much did that cost and capacity?

Cowon J3 has the memory slot. Go for Cowon J3 for around 12K and add 1500/- for a 16 GB class 10 Micro SD card. Remaing amont put it on IEms/Headphones depending on what you like.

PS: Holy moly, i got J3 one month back for 8100 from lets buy and now its 10750. Whats happening:eek:

Cowon J3 has the memory slot. Go for Cowon J3 for around 12K and add 1500/- for a 16 GB class 10 Micro SD card. Remaing amont put it on IEms/Headphones depending on what you like.

PS: Holy moly, i got J3 one month back for 8100 from lets buy and now its 10750. Whats happening:eek:

Hi gursud, thanks...flipkart seems to be offering it for about 10,421...I already have a DENON headphone:D...hope you were referring to the COWON J3 4GB...

Hi gursud, thanks...flipkart seems to be offering it for about 10,421...I already have a DENON headphone:D...hope you were referring to the COWON J3 4GB...

Ah my mistake its around 10K. Pardon me.Let me tell you other than Sound quality, BBE settings and the video quality it has nothing much to brag about. Prioritize your requirements and decide. All the best.

i am quit satisfied with my ipod 4g and coss portaPro head phone. though the head phone is best suited for bass lovers with less treble in my view. but i really don't have any knowledge about cowon j3. is it's sound quality so good?

I have an Ipod Classic 160GB and it works great! I play uncompressed tagged AIFF files. I haven't heard other players like Cowon so I can't tell you how the Ipod stacks up against those! My sole reason for buying the Classic was music and music alone! And at 160GB it will never run out of space, so to speak. I can load up enough music for one week and chill out. No expandable memory cards needed! And no unnecessary features to "distract" you! Simple and perfect design. When I bought the Ipod Classic (from US) it was just relaunched to satiate music-o-philes with large collections. I had the option to pick the Touch 16GB but I found that I was going to pay for features I would rarely use, so went for the Classic. The Classic 160GB is soon gonna die so get yours while you can. The Ipod Touch is a triumph of features over serious storage! So priorities your current & future needs and buy. I love my Classic.

I understand ipod touch 4g is more than a music player (minus) a mobile phone;

As of now I do not have any smartphone, infact I was planning for iphone 3GS, but found 32GB ipod touch 4g in similar price band; would like to know
1.) about the sound quality of ipod touch 4G
2.) How much does downloading a song costs (approx.)
3.) Is buying Ipod touch 4g worth it?
4.) any clue on samsung player 5.0 india launch

I have never bought any apple device; so have lot of doubts, as reviews on internet seems to be mixed as far as apple products are concerned.

My budget is about 20K.

Thanks

iPod Touch is very good feature wise. But if you want purely for music, these days current iPod's are not as great as they used to be.

Old iPod Models used Wolfson DAC's which were amazing. All current models doesn't use Wolfson anymore. Probably they are using Cirrus Logic.

Last week I went to iStore and compared my iPod 2G Nano (Quiet Old) and it shined when compared to iTouch, iPhone, iPad. Even the store guy was :rolleyes: :mad: Although Shuffle sounds best of the lot.

Best thing is go to a store and audition yourself. If possible, audition them with quality Ear/Headphones. iPod Earphones are again :mad:.

I have a very old iPod 30GB, iPod touch 4G, PSP and Cowon J3.

iPod 30GB sounds better than 4G, PSP sounds much better than the iPods, and Cowon just blows all 3 out of the water.
If you just care about music and nothing else, you are better off with a dedicated music players from Cowon, Sony, Sandisk, iRiver, etc.
Make sure you buy a good pair of IEMs/headphones -- stock ones are almost always crap.

And oh, BBE and 5 band parametric EQ in Cowon J3 is just FANTASTIC! I wouldn't recommend a Cowon if you are not planning to use them.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back