Is anyone a member of team-bhp?? What car to buy?

I have come across many automobile communities, but this new forum caught my eye- I was surfing on the web and came across this new automobile community- the Zigwheels Forum. It is off to a great start and these guys have a simpler registration process (you can join using Facebook too). Content is pretty good- you can ask your queries, participate in various discussion and live blogs of all new car and bike launches. Here is the link zigwheels.com/forum

Guys, I am a total noob as far as cars go.

I am seeing a lot of offers on flood damaged cars at very, very good prices in Chennai. What are the pros and cons?

Should one look for such cars or not? Will there not be a diamond in the rough?

I am seeing a lot of offers on flood damaged cars at very, very good prices in Chennai. What are the pros and cons?

Hi vinod
Surely you can get a diamond amongst the rough but chances are you will not get one
So its on your luck

Plus with personal experience I can surely confirm that flood submerged cars tend to rust sooner. Also critical parts fail in few years when they should not be failing for life
Companies do repair to parts which don't work but don't change each and every part
In my car which was submerged in 2005 mumbai floods brake booster failed within 14 months of full repair. When the car was submerged it was just 6 months old
Brake booster is such a part that it usually never fails
So be careful and avoid German cars.
They are a nightmare when electronics malfunction

Delicious offers right? BMWs selling for peanuts. BUT... remember they are all flood damaged, hence are on sale. I can think of only two reasons why you would want to get interested in such cars.

1. You are looking for a Parts car. So buy a car of same make and model as yours for the parts
2. Got some time and money to spare and are passionate to rebuild a car.

If its for any other reason, then you could go ahead keeping in mind that it could be an expensive and frustrating journey, with possibility of a sweet fruit at the end.

MaSh

Thank you guys for all your replies. Then I wonder what people who buy those cars see in them?

I mean most of them could be dealers, scrap dealers, parts scroungers etc., what about people who look for a good deal?

Is there any FM in Chennai who is a car geek and techie who can help me with buying such a car and avoid pitfalls? Just hopeful that is all. :)

Not a very good idea. Please stay away from a flood damaged car. There is a chance that much of the electrical / electronic stuff is damaged. There will be rust issues sooner or later. There will be mildew forming on the fabric / plastic / seats etc unless thoroughly cleaned. In short it is not worth the trouble.

Thank you guys for all your replies. Then I wonder what people who buy those cars see in them?

I mean most of them could be dealers, scrap dealers, parts scroungers etc., what about people who look for a good deal?

Is there any FM in Chennai who is a car geek and techie who can help me with buying such a car and avoid pitfalls? Just hopeful that is all. :)

Buying a European car and that too water damaged. You need to be really, really lucky. Pitfalls will be the least of your troubles.
But, if you are willing to take the risk, have the garage space and time for restoration nothing like it. And you have the pleasure of a Beemer parked in your garage!!!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back