Is AV Receiver good for Music ?

Most YouTube reviewers would say anything to increase subscribers and promote certain products / brands. If your use case is 80% movies and rest music , sure , go ahead with a AVR of your budget.

However if you found a particular AVR better for music compared to a IA in the exact same setup ,something was just not right in the setup OR the AVR was 3-4 times more expensive than the IA.

However if you found a particular AVR better for music compared to a IA in the exact same setup ,something was just not right in the setup OR the AVR was 3-4 times more expensive than the IA.

That difference is the one what surprised me during the audition

As I'm hunting to have good components for music listening, came across this Dealer and he invited for Audition

Yes, he was making a point that good AVR can be as good as an budget IA but as you stated it was not that expensive AVR even

So, thought to share this experience with FM's to get their inputs [as many are audiophiles, where my knowledge or exp could be less ]
OR, some would have a good AVR, that could be good for music

I was in the idea of going for Audiolab 6000a for music listening and later go for an AVR for HT, if needed. {My preference is only music 80%}

Speakers, I've the first priority for Wharfedale 12.2 / 12.3 with a Sub

But this Audition, has made to me to dig further before I can decide on IA or AVR

[Some IA are only 2 channel]

Never felt any AVR good for music even I don't prefer a processor for that. The difference was very evident even with an entry level stereo amplifier. Dont just blindly follow those HT fan boys. They don't even have any kind of room treatment except the youthman who add some very recently. He was even not aware that room treatment is critical for good sound. That's the reason they like auro3d upmixing even for 2 channel music, they want sound from everywhere.

Hi, just saw your signature, thought I would just post a little FYI, the THT is not a TH, it is a FLH. Happy listening!

<snip>
So, thought to share this experience with FM's to get their inputs [as many are audiophiles, where my knowledge or exp could be less ]
OR, some would have a good AVR, that could be good for music

<snip>

But this Audition, has made to me to dig further before I can decide on IA or AVR
<snip>
There is no set definition for "audiophile".
If you are searching for them on this or any forum, you'll be more confused.
All that will happen is a multitude of opposing opinions (some of them strongly biased).
If you are not in a hurry to get a system going, take some more time to audition both IA and AVR based rigs.

My opinion (others may have different approaches):
1. Settle the speakers first. They have the most impact on listening preference, SQ and room.
2. Build your system around the above speakers with whatever electronics that suit your budget/taste

Cheers,
Raghu

Short answer:
Consider yourself lucky that the music presentation appeals to your ears using AVR.
One box will do everything for you in your home.

Long answer (and some questions first):
What IA and AVR were compared?
What speakers?
Was the comparison at dealer setup or your home?

Most folks in this hobby find AVR lacks certain qualities when it comes to music presentation.
Power capacity, dynamics, bass control, imaging, etc.
AVR does have one big advantage over most IAs. Room correction is built in.

Cheers,
Raghu
Raghu,

won't that Room Correction in AVR help in bass control, imaging, dynamics ?

Since I have not used IA for music, I have no knowledge on its performance

There is no set definition for "audiophile".
If you are searching for them on this or any forum, you'll be more confused.
All that will happen is a multitude of opposing opinions (some of them strongly biased).
If you are not in a hurry to get a system going, take some more time to audition both IA and AVR based rigs.

My opinion (others may have different approaches):
1. Settle the speakers first. They have the most impact on listening preference, SQ and room.
2. Build your system around the above speakers with whatever electronics that suit your budget/taste

Cheers,
Raghu
Yes, I'm not in a hurry to settle for anything before I get satisfied

As far as speakers, I hope my pick Wharfedale Diamond 12.2/ 12.3 may not go wrong

I'll try to have enough audition, before I settle for IA/AVR

This is a spirited post. So, the popular recommendation is to ignore and move on.

Auro 3D vs stereo. Since this was brought up in a previous post.

At a time that is best utilized for sleep, here I am listening to music as usual. I thought why not, let me try the pure direct and Auro 3D formats and see which appeals to me closer to midnight.

Santana, Steven Tyler and a whole lot more. Pure direct. Drum rolls going from left to right. Really ? Is this not gimmicky ? I have played the drums. Never have I been on a platform that moves from left to right during a live music concert.

Auro 3D brings out a more realistic front soundstage with all the timbre and tonality and voices intact with LR bypass. There are still drum rolls going left to right but it's more subtle. Auro 3D makes the speakers disappear in my imperfect room. What's not to like.

Last edited:
Santana, Steven Tyler and a whole lot more. Pure direct. Drum rolls going from left to right. Really ? Is this not gimmicky ? I have played the drums. Never have I been on a platform that moves from left to right during a live music concert.

The way music is mixed will always be different to how it sounds during the concert or even recording hall. Which has nothing to do with IA or a AVR.

The person responsible for mixing the recordings and presenting has few variations and always tweaks once they are produced before the musicians before sending it off for final processing.

Now a days recordings are done in multiple ways, my old neighbour had one recording studio in his house for small instruments and dialogues.
I have seen him recording instruments or dialogues with multiple mics or single mic, from far away or near field.
Once asked him why this is done, he just showed me the end result, rather I heard. The sweap from left to right can be achieved from this, the way person hold mic or moves his head while talking or singing can be heard.

Now this was years back sometime in 2005-06 when I had personally experienced this. Things have moved on and gotten better.

<snip>
As far as speakers, I hope my pick Wharfedale Diamond 12.2/ 12.3 may not go wrong
<snip>
Good. Take your time and be convinced that these speakers or similar will cater to your listening preferences.

<snip>
won't that Room Correction in AVR help in bass control, imaging, dynamics ?
<snip>
Imaging/soundstage is the ability of the system (mostly speakers) to create the illusion of a properly set soundscape.
When this is "acceptably" achieved, most people feel "Ah! This sounds right to my ears. I like it"
I say "acceptably", because there is no perfect universal speaker/s (+system) that appeals to everyone equally.

Dynamics is the ability of the speakers (+system) to reproduce quiet and loud passages in content effortlessly.
Also, a decent transition of sharp notes, start/stop and "accuracy" of tone makes music listening a pleasure or nightmare.

Bass control:
This is a very tricky subject. Every kind of music has bass notes. This helps anchor the overall ensemble of music (and instrumentation).
If bass is weak, the other instruments gain prominence and sometimes spoil the presentation.
If bass is strong, it may overpower other instruments or minute details and again spoil the presentation.

Speakers are nasty boxes. They are designed to throw sound around. When you put them in a room, they will interact with it.
Lower frequencies will start bouncing off walls, higher frequencies will start sounding dismembered from the rest of the set, etc.
Room EQ helps mitigate these unwanted artifacts to a certain extent. Room treatment with EQ is a better option, but treatment may not be practical sometimes. A fair amount of effort goes into finding the correct placement in your listening space.

Where does the amp (IA or AVR or separates) come into the picture?
Well ... firstly they are the ones that are powering the speakers to do their thing.
Most entry level IAs or AVRs will struggle to drive some speakers plainly because they don't have the power to do so.
Let's assume a set of speakers need 20-30W to come alive. The amp behind it should at least be able to deliver 50-60W of clean power.
Clean power means no distortion in sound.

Eg.
You may find the drums or mridangam not up to the sound level/preference with an amp-speaker pairing.
Natural tendency is to increase volume. If the amp is not able to hold its ground, you will hear distortion.
It'll be loud, but distorted. When this happens the overall presentation suffers.
Here is where the specs of an amp come into play. All components are designed to a price point.
In AVRs with a whole lot of stuff packed in, the amp and power supply section is usually smaller in capacity.
It will work well for HT in most cases, but sometimes for music presentation it may be found wanting.
Does this mean IAs or separates will always outperform them? No. Every amp (+power supply) has this about them.
If an amp's power supply can't hold the voltage level presented to the speaker, distortion happens (may be even clipping).

So if you don't listen to your music too loud or you are in a near field setup (less than 6 feet from speakers) in a small room, an AVR might work well enough. It will do multiple audio format decoding too and video stuff, with EQ/room correction and have the ability to host one or more subs. It would be a great one box solution, if your expectations are met. If not, maybe an IA or separates would be worth exploring.
This is why most of us on the forum say, please audition and be convinced.

Also, what works for you may not work for me and vice versa. Eg. I have a 50Wpc AVR (in 2-ch mode) and dedicated stereo amps ranging from 50-200Wpc. The most enjoyable music presentation I get in my room for my ears is with a 55W stereo out board amp coupled with a tube preamp. Would I suggest you to go this route? No. Would I pack these up and play just from AVR (50Wpc). No, again.
I didn't like what the AVR does in my home for music listening. Movies, it is good enough and does its thing. Music, it didn't meet my expectations.

Hope this ramble helps clear some things :)
Remember, there is no right or wrong way to enjoy music. Just your own way.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Good. Take your time and be convinced that these speakers or similar will cater to your listening preferences.

Imaging/soundstage is the ability of the system (mostly speakers) to create the illusion of a properly set soundscape.
When this is "acceptably" achieved, most people feel "Ah! This sounds right to my ears. I like it"
I say "acceptably", because there is no perfect universal speaker/s (+system) that appeals to everyone equally.

Dynamics is the ability of the speakers (+system) to reproduce quiet and loud passages in content effortlessly.
Also, a decent transition of sharp notes, start/stop and "accuracy" of tone makes music listening a pleasure or nightmare.

Bass control:
This is a very tricky subject. Every kind of music has bass notes. This helps anchor the overall ensemble of music (and instrumentation).
If bass is weak, the other instruments gain prominence and sometimes spoil the presentation.
If bass is strong, it may overpower other instruments or minute details and again spoil the presentation.

Speakers are nasty boxes. They are designed to throw sound around. When you put them in a room, they will interact with it.
Lower frequencies will start bouncing off walls, higher frequencies will start sounding dismembered from the rest of the set, etc.
Room EQ helps mitigate these unwanted artifacts to a certain extent. Room treatment with EQ is a better option, but treatment may not be practical sometimes. A fair amount of effort goes into finding the correct placement in your listening space.

Well ... firstly they are the ones that are powering the speakers to do their thing.
Most entry level IAs or AVRs will struggle to drive some speakers plainly because they don't have the power to do so.
Let's assume a set of speakers need 20-30W to come alive. The amp behind it should at least be able to deliver 50-60W of clean power.

Eg.
You may find the drums or mridangam not up to the sound level/preference with an amp-speaker pairing.
Natural tendency is to increase volume. If the amp is not able to hold its ground, you will hear distortion.
It'll be loud, but distorted. When this happens the overall presentation suffers.
Here is where the specs of an amp come into play. All components are designed to a price point.
In AVRs with a whole lot of stuff packed in, the amp and power supply section is usually smaller in capacity.
It will work well for HT in most cases, but sometimes for music presentation it may be found wanting.
Does this mean IAs or separates will always outperform them? No. Every amp (+power supply) has this about them.
If an amp's power supply can't hold the voltage level presented to the speaker, distortion happens (may be even clipping).

So if you don't listen to your music too loud or you are in a near field setup (less than 6 feet from speakers) in a small room, an AVR might work well enough. It will do multiple audio format decoding too and video stuff, with EQ/room correction and have the ability to host one or more subs. It would be a great one box solution, if your expectations are met. If not, maybe an IA or separates would be worth exploring.

Also, what works for you may not work for me and vice versa. Eg. I have a 50Wpc AVR (in 2-ch mode) and dedicated stereo amps ranging from 50-200Wpc. The most enjoyable music presentation I get in my room for my ears is with a 55W stereo out board amp coupled with a tube preamp. Would I suggest you to go this route? No. Would I pack these up and play just from AVR (50Wpc). No, again.
I didn't like what the AVR does in my home for music listening. Movies, it is good enough and does its thing. Music, it didn't meet my expectations.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks for all these inputs

Bass control:

Eg.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks for the inputs from FM's, which could help many of the newbies like me in understanding the nuances of hifi/HT

When few of the IA's are 2 channel [some even don't have sub out ]

Bass control:

Eg.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks for all your input FM's, which could help newbies to understand the nuance of hifi/HT

Remember, there is no right or wrong way to enjoy music. Just your own way

- You are right in saying it Raghu but that "Your own way " is what I want to make it the BEST, my search started for it and hope will settle for the best.

AVR is fine for music hearing, however proper speaker is matched with respective impedance and output power which it is capable of.

Later it is individual taste and also getting confused with whomever you invite to hear your system.

Regards

May I know which dealer you have visited for auditioning?
Volumate at Kottivakam, OMR { they have their other branch at Kutchery Rd., Mylapore }

I'm looking for audition, if possible from other dealers too.

I'm expecting one from Profx (Mount Road) [dealers for Denon, Polk, KEF ] soon and if possible from Decibel [dealers for Arcam, Macintosh, Sonus Faber ]

Have anyone bought speakers from Designer Audio, Mumbai, they are the dealers for Wharfedale speakers

I think, there's subtle difference in saying "hearing" vs "listening".
In this case , it just means not important et all.
like ...AVR is fine for music hearing but not for Listening.:D
Looks like you have changed number of gear, so you caught me at right point...:):)Most of the people change the gears without "listening"... "Hearing" is what they do and rush to come to conclusion.. Tweak the gear to possible extent to have extended "listening".

Friends, hope the above one will clear the doubt about using an AV Receiver for Music.

Further, with my personal experience during audition, two days back, listened to same tracks with both IA and AV Receiver, found music from AV receiver was enjoyable.

Of course with few tweaks in AV, was able to hear considerable differences.

Music was room filling (NOT Sound)

Before, I was confused whether to go for IA or AV for music, though yet not decided on it.

If anyone have experienced the same, pls give your inputs.

Regards

Before I make any comment on AVR for stereo if you have not made any purchases yet, visit a stereo-only dealer and listen to songs and then decide what sounds best.

Friends, hope the above one will clear the doubt about using an AV Receiver for Music.

Further, with my personal experience during audition, two days back, listened to same tracks with both IA and AV Receiver, found music from AV receiver was enjoyable.

Of course with few tweaks in AV, was able to hear considerable differences.

Music was room filling (NOT Sound)

Before, I was confused whether to go for IA or AV for music, though yet not decided on it.

If anyone have experienced the same, pls give your inputs.

Regards
Most of my posts in this thread are a reply to the question "Is AVR good for music" and TOTL AVR's play music well enough. But if your requirement is only music, then you should listen to more stereo amps, maybe even to some with a sub connected.

As per my experience it's not only with the amp, it makes the difference even from the preamp section itself. That's why the difference is clear even with direct mode.

Bass control:

Eg.

Cheers,
Raghu

raghubp - Most entry level IAs or AVRs will struggle to drive some speakers plainly because they don't have the power to do so

For my understanding - What differentiates entry level IAs to other IAs, apart from pricing ?

or on what criteria one IA is good, that can drive a good Bookshelf Speaker with a Sub ?

AVR, I can differentiate on this but IA ???

Before I make any comment on AVR for stereo if you have not made any purchases yet, visit a stereo-only dealer and listen to songs and then decide what sounds best.
Yes, I have not made any purchase

In Chennai, is there any Dealer only for stereo components ?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back