Is AV Receiver good for Music ?

I am under the impression that an AVR is also an amp. Or am I wrong.
That's exactly it to my mind.

An AVR is limited by it's budget, as are most components. With an AVR, companies have to cram in more features, hence they compromise on the quality of their components vis-a-vis their lesser featured counterparts which can focus only on the stereo aspect of it. The Marantz SR7010 that you have is a pretty good AVR and I'm sure it has excellent sound quality. It's a good deal more expensive than the 8006 and therefore, ideally ought to have a good deal allocated towards its amplification.

There's really no rocket science to it, especially to warrant the surprisingly strong reactions.

In fact, i consider it mind boggling that the Marantz NR1509 which i got for some 27K does what it does and still sounds great.

Does it have the same level of performance as my stereo? Objectively, Absolutely not. But it's good enough for most intents and purposes and has enthralled many a person till date who've not come with their critical thinking caps on. For quite a few of them, it's the best system they've ever heard (due credit must also be given to the Mission QX-2).

Last edited:
That's exactly it to my mind.

An AVR is limited by it's budget, as are most components. With an AVR, companies have to cram in more features, hence they compromise on the quality of their components vis-a-vis their lesser featured counterparts which can focus only on the stereo aspect of it. The Marantz SR7010 that you have is a pretty

There's really no rocket science to it, especially to warrant the surprisingly strong reactions.

In fact, i consider it mind boggling that the Marantz NR1509 which i got for some 27K does what it does and still sounds great.

Does it have the same level of performance as my stereo? Objectively, Absolutely not. But it's good enough for most intents and purposes and has enthralled many a person till date who've not come with their critical thinking caps on. For quite a few of them, it's the best system they've ever heard (due credit must also be given to the Mission QX-2).
Just so that my posts are understood, a small clarification. My posts on AVR being good for stereo is for the benefit of most newcomers to the forum who are just entering into audio and video. It gets my goat when every question asked by newcomers are answered to audiophile standards. Duel subs or maybe even four, stereo amps for music. Etc.

For members submerged in the audio pool, the sky is the limit. Should not be the same for someone testing the waters.

I have a very clear idea on what I want out of my system and I rarely ask for inputs from the forum.

Sorry to hear that... How is he doing now?
Stable but is in observation. Old hindi music is his companion right now. (Random fact: Hindi is his favorite as he was born in Lahore, then India and had to move to Chitaranjan locomotives as a toddler during partition and had lived in west Bengal till late 60s. His HMV records collection on hindi songs are huge which he in late 80s gifted them to my cousin, a lucky guy who inherited this great wealth. You guys might find those as rare artifact. He might get a fan-base here ;) ).

Stable but is in observation. Old hindi music is his companion right now. (Random fact: Hindi is his favorite as he was born in Lahore, then India and had to move to Chitaranjan locomotives as a toddler during partition and had lived in west Bengal till late 60s. His HMV records collection on hindi songs are huge which he in late 80s gifted them to my cousin, a lucky guy who inherited this great wealth. You guys might find those as rare artifact. He might get a fan-base here ;) ).

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

My hospitalised dad says headphones are the best for music. He suffered a heart attack 5 days ago and has had a boring time at the hospital that my Sony CH700 headset soothes him more than the 7.2 i recently installed in my room. Here this is the need of the hour - something that does not disturb others.

Hope he is getting better.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back