Is HTPC the way to go?

KHK

I am putting together a stereo system for a friend of mine. We have more or less decided on CA Amp/DAC/Xtreamer/Aviano speakers. This friend of mine is also a singer, and frequently there are ad hoc music programmes at home. For this I had suggested a Behringer Mixer Minimix MIX800. This could also be used for karaoke singing as the analog output of Xtremer can be passed through the Mixer to the amp, and the digital out can be channeled through the DAC to the amp.

Now this friend of mine also wants to incorporate a recording feature, so that music sessions can be recorded.

Any ideas how this can be incorporated?

One idea is to to scrap Xtreamer and replace it with an HTPC, but then we'll have to sacrifice the quick start feature and wait for windows to load. Hence ideally I wd like to avoid the HTPC way. Remember he is not interested in Movies, so I'll basically take the SPDIF out fm the HTPC and input into the DAC magic.

Pls suggest some creative ideas :)

get a pro soundcard
they usually come with software that helps you record sessions
you can look at M Audio, EMU or ESI products

cranky is the one to catch for this

thx magma for a quick reply.

my first priority is to see if i can avoid HTPC.

If i have to go with HTPC then i was thinking of Shure USB Mic adaptor X2U as i don't really need a pro sound card as I will be using DacMagic.

Nothing beats the PC for this kind of usage. But then asking me if the HTPC is the right way to go is akin to asking a tiger if non-vegetarian was the diet to follow :).

... but then we'll have to sacrifice the quick start feature and wait for windows to load. Hence ideally I wd like to avoid the HTPC way. Remember he is not interested in Movies, so I'll basically take the SPDIF out fm the HTPC and input into the DAC magic.

Pls suggest some creative ideas :)

In the big picture, this is a small overhead vs. the flexibility and upgrade options you ahve on the PC. I would seriously re-consider if you have dropped this from your plans.

A decent HTPC + a good card with only the necessary software for your use is a much better option than even some of the low end pro recorders. They will be cheaper in the long run too.

thx vortex and marsilians, so HTPC it is!

for the graphics card, what do u suggest? TV will be mostly 40" or 46" Samsing LED. Absolutely no gaming!

also, since there will be an offboard DAC, how do i get bit perfect digital output from the mobo without investing too much in a sound card?

Back