Is it a good option to have interconnect with one side XLR(DAC) and other RCA (AMP) ?

If the DAC has RCA out and the Amplifier has RCA inputs ; using RCA interconnects is advisable.

The Advantages of Taking a balanced ICs is audibly discernable ; only if the whole chain (from DAC to preamplifier /Integrated Amplifier or to Power Amplifier) is TRULY balanced, using a XLR to RCA ICs does not provide any additional sonic benefits over RCA ICs. So use XLR to RCA cables only if your DAC does not have RCA outputs. I have tried XLR to RCA ICs in the past and its useless exercise from sonic point of view.

If the DAC has RCA out and the Amplifier has RCA inputs ; using RCA interconnects is advisable.

The Advantages of Taking a balanced ICs is audibly discernable ; only if the whole chain (from DAC to preamplifier /Integrated Amplifier or to Power Amplifier) is TRULY balanced, using a XLR to RCA ICs does not provide any additional sonic benefits over RCA ICs. So use XLR to RCA cables only if your DAC does not have RCA outputs. I have tried XLR to RCA ICs in the past and its useless exercise from sonic point of view.

My DAC has XLR output (balanced) but Amplifier does not have XLR.
is it possible to have a interconnect with 1 termination as XLR and other as RCA
YES, it is possible.

Clearly, as you have mentioned, it is a Constraint and not something that you are opting for over an RCA to RCA or XLR to XLR interconnect (which should be your Logical and 1st Preference).

XLR output is usually Twice as high as an RCA output, but it should not be a concern at all, except in the most extreme cases where say a DAC outputs 8 Volts RMS... Even then, it is workable with the amplifier volume control way low.

I presume the Amplifier that you are referring to has a volume control ...

You will probably have to get XLR to RCA interconnects made for you, as they are not easily available.

There are adapters available locally for XLR to RCA Conversion. You then use an XLR To XLR Interconnect with the adapters at one one. These adapters, (with their nickel plating) may not be the last word in Hi Fi signal purity, but you may not be able to hear a difference on many setups.

I am posting pictures of the adapters (available at Lamington Road Mumbai for Rs 125 each)

Attachments

• 981545a4-6859-43b3-b35b-c25ab171f2da.jpg
    981545a4-6859-43b3-b35b-c25ab171f2da.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 7927c230-6e61-492e-ac4e-b6e923ca1f03.jpg
    7927c230-6e61-492e-ac4e-b6e923ca1f03.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 7
YES, it is possible.

Clearly, as you have mentioned, it is a Constraint and not something that you are opting for over an RCA to RCA or XLR to XLR interconnect (which should be your Logical and 1st Preference).

XLR output is usually Twice as high as an RCA output, but it should not be a concern at all, except in the most extreme cases where say a DAC outputs 8 Volts RMS... Even then, it is workable with the amplifier volume control way low.

I presume the Amplifier that you are referring to has a volume control ...

You will probably have to get XLR to RCA interconnects made for you, as they are not easily available.

There are adapters available locally for XLR to RCA Conversion. You then use an XLR To XLR Interconnect with the adapters at one one. These adapters, (with their nickel plating) may not be the last word in Hi Fi signal purity, but you may not be able to hear a difference on many setups.

I am posting pictures of the adapters (available at Lamington Road Mumbai for Rs 125 each)
By converting XLR to RCA, will we be able to retain the advantage of XLR if any over normal RCA out from DAC?

Certainly Not..... You will Not have the advantage of an XLR Balanced connection.

Also as drkrack has mentioned "The Advantages of Taking a balanced ICs is audibly discernable ; only if the whole chain (from DAC to preamplifier /Integrated Amplifier or to Power Amplifier) is TRULY balanced."

As others have rightly mentioned, there is no advantage in converting from Xlr to Rca.

You do get cables terminated with Xlr at one end and Rca at the other or you may use adaptors as shown above.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back