Is it Ok to mix 4ohm & 8ohm speakers on a Marantz SR6007?

SonomaComa

I purchased a Marantz SR6007 AVR and two Martin Logan Motion 4 bookshelf speakers about one year ago. I have them in a bedroom connected a 70" TV. I placed those little Martin Logan Motion 4 speakers on stands right at the foot of the bed and they sound great to me, excellent for dialog during movies, exceptionally clear. But they are 4ohm speakers. I just purchased two Klipsch Icon KF-28 Floor Speakers and they are 8ohm. I picked them up for $250.00 normally they are $450.00. Those are the only speakers I have right now.
My question is, (without hurting anything), is it Ok to hook up both 4ohm Martin Logan bookshelf speakers at the same time for use as one Center Channel Speaker and use the 8ohm Klipsh Floor speakers for the two Main Speakers? Would the Audyssey MultEQXT on the Marantz SR6007 be able to deal with that situation? Would it run hot or anything?

Marantz US | SR6007
http://www.martinlogan.com/pdf/manuals/manual_motion_2_motion_4.pdf
https://www.klipsch.com/kf-28-floorstanding-speaker/details

Hi sonomaComa

Technically the impedance of the speakers should be the same or higher of an amplifier or AVR......from what I know, Marantz is minimum 6 ohms ...you might be risking an overheating factor as you are indirectly telling the amp to adjust and perform now at 4 ohms.....

I feel this link would be able to guide you better.....

Matching Amps and Speakers - Do we Need to Worry?

Hope this heps

i dont think its a good idea to hook up BOTH the ML speakers as center - if i understand you correctly.

but you may try with just 1 ML speaker as the center.

Keep in mind that for movies - the center speaker comes into play most f the time and so you may not get a good timber match with the front Klipsch's.

I would ask you to look at using the AVR to drive the 2 front Klipsch speakers - set them to Large on the AVR and turn the center OFF. so you will get the center speaker dialogues from the front speakerrs.

maybe later you may add a klipsch center.

I know others will chip in - folks who are more into movies and 5.1 ch systems than i am.

what works to your advantage here is that the Klipsch fronts are rated at 98dB sensitivity and 8 ohm. They dont need too much power from the AVR to drive them.

mpw

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back