Marantz 5003 amp. ... can it drive FloorStanders/Tower speakers?

Brajendu

Hello experts...

This forum is enlightening me for my quest for a beginner in to this HiFi world.

Recently I almost finalized for the Pulz-202 bookshelf speaker here in Pune at Oceanic Sound. It blends very well with the Pulz-180dc amp. I have heard the duo few times and they sound really good for me.

BUT I'm planning to upgrade my system to Floor-standers/Tower speakers after a yr or two. When inquired they suggested that instead of the Pulz-180dc I can go for Marantz 5003, it is a very good quality amp. which can play the book-shelf for now and later I can use it for driving the Floor-standers. So I'm asking for your suggestions regarding this.

Marantz 5003 is only 36 W x 2 (8? load) and 45 W x 2 (4? load) amp. Will not this be insufficient to drive Floor-standers?

Brajendu, rather than floorstander or bookshelf, it is the sensitivity of the speaker which can give a general idea about how much amplification it might need.

For example, the q acoustics 1010i though a small bookshelf has 86db sensitivity
DISCONTINUED Q ACOUSTICS 1010i SPEAKERS (PAIR) (CHERRY) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/3693 for details

While a Mission m33i floorstander has 90 db sensitivity
MISSION M33i SPEAKERS (PAIR) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/2083 for details

So please have a look at such parameters inc recommended amplifier power range, sensitivity, frequency-impedance curve (if available!).
Finally, nothing better than actually hooking it up and listening to it.

Anyway, to answer your question, if its a decently sensitive speaker, 89db or higher, you wont have any prob driving it with the marantz 5003. Remember they are quite conservative with their ratings.

Last edited:
Hello iaudio, thanks a lot for your valuable advice. But still my confusion is hunting me. I noticed that the range of sensitivity for most speaker's is narrow (approx. between 85-95dB). whereas the range of power output of Amps. is wide (from 15-300 watt.) ...So if I get a reasonably good sensitive speaker, should I be able to drive that with a lower powered Amp.? :confused::confused:

I've also read in this forum that we shouldn't drive a bigger speaker with less powered Amp. Rather the reverse is good (a more powerful Amp should be used to drive less powered speaker)

Any more comments please?.. I really need to close this purchase decision in a day or two.:indifferent14:

Most of the towers are rated at 6 & 8 ohms. The amp is 36W at 8 ohm and somewhere areound 32W at 6 ohm.Towers generally have a capacity at around 100W , the least. So you have to pumpup your amp and after certain volume they get distorted . Avoid buying if you are serious for upgrading to towers.

Regards

Anyway, to answer your question, if its a decently sensitive speaker, 89db or higher, you wont have any prob driving it with the marantz 5003. Remember they are quite conservative with their ratings.

Just to add, my Marantz PM6003 rated at 40W drives my floorstander which has a sensitivity of 87.5dB, very well. In fact, 9 to 10 O'Clock of volume position is usual listening volume. Have never needed to go beyond 12 O'Clock. Ever. It becomes unbearably loud beyond this. I strongly believe the PM5003 will effortlessly drive most floorstanders to sufficient loudness for most listening rooms.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back