Is it the Tail wagging the dog with chromecast and mutec mc-3 usb

newlash09

Iam a complete computer noob. So very hesitant and wary about using a computer in any of its various iterations for audio. I tried stuff like dirac, roon and few other applications from my laptop into my dac. And always kept wondering if there were performance gains to be had by trying something different.

After the above trysts with computer audio, iam inclined towards steamer + app eco systems like the bluesound node and CA cxn etc.

And before you laugh, my most widely used source is gaana on chromecast audio. And tidal via a Yamaha wxc50. I dont have any ripped or downloaded music collection, nor do I intend on acquiring one. Iam happy to be lost in the streaming universe .

So with the above thoughts in mind, iam planning on getting myself a bluesound node 2i and a mutec mc-3 USB.

Plan is to connect the node and Google chromecast via co axial and optical respectively to the mutec. And then go aes-ebu in to my dac.

The mutec will also be used to down sample all signals to 44.1khz, where my dac is most optimized. Will the above reclocking and isolation provided by the mutec, give better results than going straight from the node and chromecast into the dac.

Or will the mutec be futile except with USB audio. Thanks for your time and opinions.

@newlash09 What DAC do you use?
If you already have a Yamaha WXC50 for Tidal, why are you looking at the Bluesound Node 2i?

I have no experience with the Mutec, but I have heard that it has a great word clock and that it significantly improves sound.

For some alternatives, do look at the Allo Digione Signature with Roon if you are looking for a streaming transport for Tidal.
Reviews are all very recent, the video review by Darko says that it is better than the old Auralic mini & Aries as a streaming transport., and its much cheaper too.
If you go down this route, you might not need to further invest in a re-clocker like the Mutec, saving a lot of cash.

If you are keen on using a re-locker, do also look at the the Sigxer SU1.
Again I have no actual experience with this, but my dealer, recommended using this over a ISO-REGEN+LPS 1.2.

@newlash09 What DAC do you use?
If you already have a Yamaha WXC50 for Tidal, why are you looking at the Bluesound Node 2i?

I have no experience with the Mutec, but I have heard that it has a great word clock and that it significantly improves sound.

For some alternatives, do look at the Allo Digione Signature with Roon if you are looking for a streaming transport for Tidal.
Reviews are all very recent, the video review by Darko says that it is better than the old Auralic mini & Aries as a streaming transport., and its much cheaper too.
If you go down this route, you might not need to further invest in a re-clocker like the Mutec, saving a lot of cash.

If you are keen on using a re-locker, do also look at the the Sigxer SU1.
Again I have no actual experience with this, but my dealer, recommended using this over a ISO-REGEN+LPS 1.2.

Thanks a lot rajeshh....

Even I have been eyeing the allo digione signature as it has been suggested by a few members in the past. However, I fear the skillset required to actually get it working might be beyond me :)

My main setup is a devialet D-premier, which apparently sounds best via its aes ebu. And iam also adding an AMR dac for my third setup, which also has aes ebu, USB, optical, BNC and co axial in..

I thought it would be best to stick with aes ebu, as I dont want to worry or fret after cables. Iam considering a dcs network bridge in the longer term. But can only buy it next year. So mutec looked like a good option, as the wxc50 and chromecast can be fed to the mutec, and then it can feed both the devialet and AMR via aes ebu. When used like this, do you think the mutec will improve the sound from chromecast and wxc50. Thanks again for your time.

@newlash09 Again I have no experience with the Mutec, but in my view good transport & re-clocking adds significant benefits. Sometimes even to the effect of changing your mind on DAC upgrade.
I had a Wyred4sound Recovery which completely changed the sound of my Mac mini feeding the Mcintosh DAC. The Mutec is several steps above the Recovery.

Allo has a version called the "DigiOne Signature Player" which is a Roon end point & is plug and play with Roon, I'm planning on getting one in Jan to try out as a source into my Mcintosh Integrated's DAC. That might just be the most cost effective & value Tidal Transport around.
Do consider it as your Tidal source direct into your D-premier or to the Mutec.
Other options for good transports at the sub $1000 price point are the upcoming Metrum Baby Amber, Project Streambox S2, Sonore Ultra Rendu, SMS200 ultra Neo.
Whatever option you go with, please do get Roon & get a transport that is a Roon end point, for your Tidal needs.

W.r.t to the Bluesound Node 2i/WXC50. My view is that, if you are not using its DAC/RCA out you are not extracting full value. The same goes for the ELAC Discovery streamer, which I have used and like.

For a full upgrade down the line, my recommendation will be a one box steamer with built in DAC. Two options I've shortlisted are the Naim NDX2 & the TotalDAC D1 with Network option.
Im not a fan of too many boxes with their cables, clean power supplies & re-clocking requirements. :)

Thanks a lot again rajeshh..much appreciate your taking the time to post such a lengthy and informative reply. I will go for the allo digi signature for now. Any idea which liners psu sounds best for the second stage output board.

I have already sent a reply to AMR regarding any potential benefits of adding a mutec external clicker. Will revert back with their reply for the benefit of others.

Thanks again :)

You are welcome!
Looks like both of us are in the same boat & have similar needs, do keep me posted on your experiences.

I spent most of my free time today, reading about a cost effective Roon end point & narrowed it down to the Allo DigiOne Signature Player, from what ive read so far, the best option for clean power to the transport board is the Uptone LPS 1.2 & a slightly lower but effective option is their battery pack & some rechargeable batteries.
The LPS 1.2 comes to 650 SGD, I just figured that for a years worth of usage I'd use the IFI power 5V (which I have lying around) for the Pi board & the battery pack for clean power to the transport board.

You are welcome!
Looks like both of us are in the same boat & have similar needs, do keep me posted on your experiences.

I spent most of my free time today, reading about a cost effective Roon end point & narrowed it down to the Allo DigiOne Signature Player, from what ive read so far, the best option for clean power to the transport board is the Uptone LPS 1.2 & a slightly lower but effective option is their battery pack & some rechargeable batteries.
The LPS 1.2 comes to 650 SGD, I just figured that for a years worth of usage I'd use the IFI power 5V (which I have lying around) for the Pi board & the battery pack for clean power to the transport board.

Thanks again. Even my research so far has ended at the Lps 1.2 :)
And surprisingly even I just decided on the ifi 5V/2.5A psu to power the dirty side :)

Small world I'd say. Will surely keep you posted with my journey. And as I mentioned before, my end game digital source will be the dcs network bridge as i will be mainly using aes ebu out. All the best :)

While Mutec is a respected stuff but I haven't tried it yet. But what I currently have is a Dante setup. I have tried this with several sources such as Windows computer, Mac, iPhone, Android phone and a CD player too. It is almost source agnostic and what you get as output is in AES and is just pristine. I mean, once you listen to it, I can guarantee that you will not think about any upgrades further.

When I started with it, associated components were expensive but now the parent company, Audinate, itself has come out with bunch of products as Dante AVIO.

What you will need are as follows -

1. USB to Dante converter (to use phones and laptops)
2. Dante to AES converter (to feed DAC)
3. Coax to Dante (using an adapter) (in case you like to use coax source) - this is nothing but item number two above which works as input and output both.

And, finally you will need to get a PoE router.

I know all these sound complex but after you have read about Audinate, you will realize that this company comes from professional world and whatever they are doing is of very high calibre.

You can PM me or in fact, anybody interested can PM me for any additional questions anybody may have.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back