Okto Research coming up with something new for DIY'ers

Yelamanchili manohar

Those who know the possibilities with their 8 channel dacs, will like the above news. This brings me much closer to my 7 year dream of going fully active. I previously enquired the " Deqx Pre-8 HD Active" and was qouted USD 14K if I agreed to participate in their Beta testing program. Long story short, I didnt have the money and that never happened 🤣

Though it left a void that kept me searching for alternatives without breaking the bank.

Now with the advent of playback software like Jriver and Roon, which support in built convolution engines. A 3 way active crossover can be designed within softwares like audiolense or Acourate, and then loaded into the convolution engine, and when output via USB to a multichannel dac like the Dac 8 pro, the dac becomes a Dac cum active crossover.

Now with the optional 7 V output, one can connect their poweramps direct from this dac, and the amp direct to the speaker driver. This way, one can create a 3 way active speaker, with the possibility of changing crossovers, slopes on the fly. Plus with softwares like audiolense, we can also do room correction in the digital domain, before the signal even hits the dac.

This is the next generation of sound fidelity, though limited to the digital domain, and will only work for streaming or local digital playback via Jriver or Roon, but will be a step up from the traditional passive speakers, owing to the superiority of digital crossovers. I will not go into stuff like time alignment or absolute phase coherency from 20 to 20,000 hz etc, as those who will be reading this post with interest and excitement, will know these topics way better than me :p.

So thought I'd post about this exciting new possibility, as Iam not sure how many are aware that this option exists for an all digital playback system, only limited in fidelity by your choice of drivers and your multi-channel dac. Choose the best drivers you can afford, build a cabinet or clone one from the multitude of detailed DIY plans available on the net or at Troelsgravesen, and then tweak to your hearts delight :)

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back