Anyone getting into "Immersive" or "Multi channel" sound

Yelamanchili manohar

I think my 2 channel system is sounding decent enough to enjoy it without any further embellishments. I could add a better dac or a better cable and then continue staring at the front wall as I've done for a decade :eek:.

But how about adding a whole new dimension of sound and probably a picture to the mix. Audio was originally in Mono. Then came stereo in 1950, which necessitated a complete change of kit. But despite the initial expense, Stereo has succeeded.

From my reading alone, I think we are on the cusp of multi channel audio with Tidal atmos , Sony 360 reality and Apple something also available. ( Sorry not a apple user :p )

So Iam thinking of giving it a try. One can go with a multi channel dac like the Topping DM7, Okto research Dac 8 pro or an exasound S88, connected to a multi channel power amp. And then feed them over usb from various streamers or from a PC. One can make life easier by just getting any of the newer AVR's with built in tidal streaming too.

Apparently a lot of the newer and especially younger artists, are trying to get imaginative with the additional avenues offered by atmos etc. So just checking out if anyone has already ventured down this path.

Since you mentioned multi-channel DAC, reminded me of a time when I was actively searching for a device that would take HDMI in and provide 8-channel digital out but I wasn't successful except for one device from a New Zealand-based company called AVRUS.

Also, mine is a combo setup with both stereo and HT, and have tried songs in ATMOS in Apple Music in 7.1 that were fun to listen to but I always came back to 2-channel. But, yes, I commend the effort the folks have spent on doing the mastering - separation and directing different sounds to different channels is amazing.

I think my 2 channel system is sounding decent enough to enjoy it without any further embellishments. I could add a better dac or a better cable and then continue staring at the front wall as I've done for a decade :eek:.

But how about adding a whole new dimension of sound and probably a picture to the mix. Audio was originally in Mono. Then came stereo in 1950, which necessitated a complete change of kit. But despite the initial expense, Stereo has succeeded.

From my reading alone, I think we are on the cusp of multi channel audio with Tidal atmos , Sony 360 reality and Apple something also available. ( Sorry not a apple user :p )

So Iam thinking of giving it a try. One can go with a multi channel dac like the Topping DM7, Okto research Dac 8 pro or an exasound S88, connected to a multi channel power amp. And then feed them over usb from various streamers or from a PC. One can make life easier by just getting any of the newer AVR's with built in tidal streaming too.

Apparently a lot of the newer and especially younger artists, are trying to get imaginative with the additional avenues offered by atmos etc. So just checking out if anyone has already ventured down this path.
Just some random thoughts:
It could be quite a while before music that we like is created in this format and becomes available in this format.
In the real world, we relate good sq of music to what we hear in a live setting and that is mono, or at best stereo. Truly immersive sounds are those that we hear in natural surroundings, on the street or in a forest -we may not enjoy listening to these in a multi channel audio setup unless accompanied by multi-wall video and AI generated smells for a truly immersive experience.

It could be quite a while before music that we like is created in this format and becomes available in this format.
In the real world, we relate good sq of music to what we hear in a live setting and that is mono, or at best stereo. Truly immersive sounds are those that we hear in natural surroundings, on the street or in a forest -we may not enjoy listening to these in a multi channel audio setup unless accompanied by multi-wall video and AI generated smells for a truly immersive experience.
Haha..... makes complete sense :)

And as mentioned, maybe most of the newer music is not to our tastes too.

Since you mentioned multi-channel DAC, reminded me of a time when I was actively searching for a device that would take HDMI in and provide 8-channel digital out but I wasn't successful except for one device from a New Zealand-based company called AVRUS.

Also, mine is a combo setup with both stereo and HT, and have tried songs in ATMOS in Apple Music in 7.1 that were fun to listen to but I always came back to 2-channel. But, yes, I commend the effort the folks have spent on doing the mastering - separation and directing different sounds to different channels is amazing.
Thanks for sharing your experience with dolby atmos music. I think most folks who are liking the multi channel experience are playing their multi channel rips or SACD's of multi channel classical recordings. And they seem to like it very much so far. Thats what got me thinking, though I really havent delved into western classical, except for the odd youtube video of live orchestras.

I remember listening to Doors, "Riders on the storm" in multichannel on my AVR. The thunder and rain do appear to come from the ceiling. I have enjoyed two channel music on Auro 3D upmixing too.

Some VR music videos on Oculus are pretty interesting too where one is placed in the middle of the musicians. This particular one was a 360 degree video where you can turn around and watch all the members of the band playing. In some videos, you are placed in front of the concert state. Some videos have you placed right next to the musicians playing live on stage where you get to see the musicians and the crowd. Quite interesting.

I remember listening to Doors, "Riders on the storm" in multichannel on my AVR. The thunder and rain do appear to come from the ceiling. I have enjoyed two channel music on Auro 3D upmixing too.

Some VR music videos on Oculus are pretty interesting too where one is placed in the middle of the musicians. This particular one was a 360 degree video where you can turn around and watch all the members of the band playing. In some videos, you are placed in front of the concert state. Some videos have you placed right next to the musicians playing live on stage where you get to see the musicians and the crowd. Quite interesting.
Thanks @ssf ...thats a new dimension I never even knew existed :)

I guess things are changing at break neck speed. Probably VR and Oculus are beyond my PC chops, but will sure be enjoyable.

Thanks @ssf ...thats a new dimension I never even knew existed :)

I guess things are changing at break neck speed. Probably VR and Oculus are beyond my PC chops, but will sure be enjoyable.
Nothing great IMHO besides some gimmicks. Surround is good for movies but never enjoyed music in Atmos/ spatial mode. You may not be missing much....

No. I wouldn’t like to sit in a concert where musicians are playing in front, to my sides, behind me and above me. Consequently, I’d not like to music recorded and played in this manner. To me, immersion in the meaning, the emotion and the virtuosity is all that matters. So, a KL Saigal crooning from a mono speaker is all it takes to immerse me.

Probably the reason why I switch off Dolby Atmos/ Spatial on Apple Music, even when listening through earphones. Music to me, is to be played there, out in the front. I actually wish more music is recorded binaurally so I get exact feel of the performance (at least live ones) instead of the mixing. And I hope the genres and artists I dig continue to play the conventional way and don’t get all spatial on me 😄

Last edited:
Here you go - The pick of the best in classic rock.

For computer nerd this is more like a 5.1/ 7.1 PC Sound card

Neither am I. Notwithstanding, Apple Music is worth it IMO because it works well enough on PC/ Android and as of now, it has a stellar price to performance ratio. But the kicker is that they have a few audio playlists available in Dolby Atmos as well. The tracks in these playlists have been specifically remastered in Atmos. While the remastering may be a hit or a miss, it sure provides a different take on songs you know and love. For me, ease of access also assumes importance and it is convenient to play Atmos off Apple Music.

I've been using Atmos on Apple for around a year now and I would definitely recommend it if you want an experience. Whether you agree with the experience is something you'll have to figure :)
I'd recommend a decent AVR (with a good stereo voicing) over the above if you want music mastered in "Atmos" to be decoded. As i understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong), the abovesaid multichannel DACs can't decode atmos.

I play Atmos from Apple Music through my humble Marantz SR6013 (5.2.4 setup) and while it cannot resolve as well as my RME ADI-2 DAC FS or Eversolo DMP-A8, it sure sounds fantastic and provides enough of an experience for me to regularly listen to it.
Since tracks in atmos are remastered versions, songs spanning all eras and genres are available.
To add to this rnadom thought, do we find movies any less immersive while listening in surround because of the absence of multi-wall video and AI generated smells? Ppl have tried it out in commercial establishments (not just limited to smells but also chairs that shake, swivel etc) but it's never progressed beyond a novelty act. The idea of having more than one's ears and eyes has mostly been rejected by users over time.

Last edited:
Thanks @DB1989 for the above detailed reply. Apple music seems to make sense, plus it is supposedly the better ones out there with an extensive indian collection. Will try their desktop version, as i tend to listen on my ear buds while working.

And congratulations on the Eversolo DMP A-8, was the availability of native apple music the main trigger for the purchase :)

Adding more Channels does not add another dimension to music. For now the only way to add another dimension to music is by using tactile transducers or bass shakers. It adds a new dimension of touch and feel.
We have five senses out of which two gets used the traditional wat in case a video is also playing. With bass shakers we can let our sens of touch jump in the experience. No matter how many speakers or channels we add. Nothing can be compared to adding vibrations and activating another sense in the audio experience.

You're
Adding more Channels does not add another dimension to music. For now the only way to add another dimension to music is by using tactile transducers or bass shakers. It adds a new dimension of touch and feel.
We have five senses out of which two gets used the traditional wat in case a video is also playing. With bass shakers we can let our sens of touch jump in the experience. No matter how many speakers or channels we add. Nothing can be compared to adding vibrations and activating another sense in the audio experience.
You're perhaps talking about bass shakers because the tactile feel in your room currently perhaps isn't that great. Get some room treatment and your current subwoofers will show you a whole new level of performance. What I mean to say is, bass shakers aren't the only way to go about it if you want tactile feedback. When your subs have linear response with a low RT60 time, you'll get fantastic tactility from the real thing. Plus, you'll get better performance throughout the frequency band.

However, you can't get multichannel surround sound music any other way

Back