Is it time for multi-channel music streaming?..

elangoas

Hello all,

We have had some movie streaming apps which can do multi-channel out (Amazon prime, Netflix, Sun Nxt), so should / would others in the coming days (Hotstar, Zee 5) just to name few popular movie streaming apps in the country right now..

If a 1080p movie with multi-channel audio can be streamed, a multi-channel audio stream should also be possible.. Even for someone who doesn't have multi-channel capable AVR, it can be down converted to 2.0 by the app..

Would there be a near possibility of multi-channel music steaming in future?.. (Wish if it would be with Atmos / Dts X)..

Hi,

The multi channel audio that accompanies video is closely tied to the visual information; that is the way I have understood it. Multichannel recording of live performances do exist. To properly reproduce the nuances captured by these recordings, a high fidelity multichannel system is required. The cost is scaled w. r. t. that of a stereo and setup is more complex. I have read that the soundstages that get created is fascinating. The listener no longer need to be in a particular sweet spot. Different positions will let you experience the soundstage differently. I am not sure whether rear and atmos channels in a regular HT can let you experience this.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

A distant dream I think but possible. A lot of tracks specially pink Floyds, Carpenters etc. released in 5.1 in SACD format. Think purists who swear by stereo's sound stage will hate it.

Hi,

One more thing I would like to add is that Blue-ray releases of live performances do exist; not sure whether they fully exploit the potential of multi-channel sound. If done properly, by combining visuals w/ audio, it won't be just the sound stage that gets recreated during reproduction, but the stage itself.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

Almost a decade back, there were few 5.1 music (DTS audio only) discs released in India.. I had few of them ( Tamil moves - Boys, Manmmadan, Chandramukhi, God father and some more i guess).. Also some Hindi movie titles DVD-Audio discs.. I used to listen to them when i had a DVD player and lot of DVD discs.. Overtime, i stopped listening / using them as i got lazy to change discs.. But enjoyed Dts audio and multi-channel PCM whenever i played.. Some songs sounder very good on multi-channel..

I have the BR Rip of Mohenjodaro in Atmos audio track.. "Tu Hai" & " Sarsariya", both sound so nice with Atmos.. When i happened to stream the same video thru youtube in 2.0 (though lossy audio), wasn't as impressive as i heard them in Atmos.. Just what i felt..

Almost every enthusiast has a mobile (Android) and casting (device) also becoming cheaper, thought that multi-channel audio would be great comeback..

At-least for Indian film music, cropping the songs from movie with (or) with-out video and retaining multi-channel audio should be more possible..

Hope Prime and other apps can do that (now or near future) from their existing streaming capability, guess no additional cost..

Guess, youtube already has the capability of multi-channel videos?..

Ir is a matter of taste. I personally prefer 2-channel stereo for music though i have heard 5.1 mixes.
5.1 mixes are a little tolerable or should I say a bit realistic only when you also see the video accompanying it.

Else 2-channel for music is king....to me ears atleast

Ir is a matter of taste. I personally prefer 2-channel stereo for music though i have heard 5.1 mixes.
5.1 mixes are a little tolerable or should I say a bit realistic only when you also see the video accompanying it.

Else 2-channel for music is king....to me ears atleast
Hi
Kannan
I agree with what you have said. My personal opinion is also the same. Stereo set up is excellent for Indian classical, Rabindrasangeet and Bollywood movie songs( can't say anything about the western as it is not my cup of tea). IMO a dedicated stereo set up is very fine. Albeit time is progressing and so is technology. Therefore we have so many options but still 2.0 has its magic.
Regards
Bhaskar

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back