Is it true that CDs do not sound as good as vinyl?

A K Bhattacharjee

Although, it is a matter of debate but just have a look on the article written by Mr.Paul B.Wiggins, a Studio Engineer(1988-present).
“No, and it's almost physically impossible.

Ever since the dawn of the CD in the early eighties, there have been people stating that they thought that analogue (vinyl) was better and they pointed at the limits of digital recording as proof for their statement. Indeed, a CD only records sounds up to 22kHz whereas, in theory, an analogue recording virtually has no limits if the recorded track isn't overly compressed. 33rpm albums sound much worse than 45rpm singles because on an album the vinyl track loops much closer together to fit all of the music on a 12″ disc, compressing the track and hence the sound.

But if you consider that the human ear can only detect sounds from about 50Hz to roughly 16kHz, you'll understand that the CD has more than frequency range to spare to fit all of the perceivable audio signal. It is true that we “hear" lower frequencies through our diaphragm and higher through our eyeballs, but even the best speakers will give you no more than 20Hz to 20kHz, again well within the CD range.

Another argument is that digital audio isn't recorded at straight curves like analogue, and the digital signal is broken down in amplitude information bits that follow the signal curve.

Yet, the 16-bit CD recording is precise enough to become indistinguishable from the original analogue signal, especially when you consider the limits and errors of your amplifier and speakers. Most digital recordings are now done at 24-bit and even 32-bit (studio quality) which is actually far superior to any analogue recording.

Many have claimed to hear the difference and many have done a blind listening test in order to prove they were right, but 95% of them failed and the other 5% probably got lucky guessing more than 6 out of 10”

You will find several discussions on this topic here in the forum and one thing which you can mostly deduce is technically the cd could be a better medium but in reality the mastering for CDs and Vinyl is completely different

There is a very clear difference between cd and vinyl pressings and while in most cases Vinyls are pressed from a better master , CDs ( which are also a dying breed now) are very often compressed from the master to the cd master to allow it to be heard on earbuds .

Just listen to Lata/Asha from an old LP and any CD and you do not need a 1/2 decent system to find the difference

But if you consider that the human ear can only detect sounds from about 50Hz to roughly 16kHz, you'll understand that the CD has more than frequency range to spare to fit all of the perceivable audio signal. It is true that we “hear" lower frequencies through our diaphragm and higher through our eyeballs, but even the best speakers will give you no more than 20Hz to 20kHz, again well within the CD range.

We do not "hear " just with our ear we feel the bass below 50 to even 12 via our skin and even frequencies in excess of 20khz through our Cranial bones via bone conduction. BTW the ear can hear down till the low 20s Just play any test tones while those above 40 might not hear much above 14khz, teenagers and many women hear above 18khz

Not sure what the above Mr Paul B.Wiggins is talking about and what context it is but in the above context it seems really off.

Last edited:
Apples to Apples, a well recorded CD and a good pressing the same album wouldn't be very different. The general opinion is that vinyl has a warmer sound. That said, if you want to experience brilliant recordings ( and provided your set-up is revealing) , try listening to an Octave records release. It might change your perception.

Apples to Apples, a well recorded CD and a good pressing the same album wouldn't be very different. The general opinion is that vinyl has a warmer sound. That said, if you want to experience brilliant recordings ( and provided your set-up is revealing) , try listening to an Octave records release. It might change your perception.
While Theoretically this can be true . Unfortunately not sure of this since I do not have a good pressing for both. While I do have almost 1000 LPs and Cds. The little overlap I do have, the Vinyls have come out better .

But again I would guess and expect that the 70s CD pressing of Dark side of the moon will be better than the recent Vinyl presses of the same

While I do have many CDs which are very well recorded..especially Reference recordings/Chanda Dhara/Sheffield labs early US pressings in Rock etc but do not have the LPs for that !

Last edited:
Although, it is a matter of debate but just have a look on the article written by Mr.Paul B.Wiggins, a Studio Engineer(1988-present).
“No, and it's almost physically impossible.

Ever since the dawn of the CD in the early eighties, there have been people stating that they thought that analogue (vinyl) was better and they pointed at the limits of digital recording as proof for their statement. Indeed, a CD only records sounds up to 22kHz whereas, in theory, an analogue recording virtually has no limits if the recorded track isn't overly compressed. 33rpm albums sound much worse than 45rpm singles because on an album the vinyl track loops much closer together to fit all of the music on a 12″ disc, compressing the track and hence the sound.

Another argument is that digital audio isn't recorded at straight curves like analogue, and the digital signal is broken down in amplitude information bits that follow the signal curve.

Yet, the 16-bit CD recording is precise enough to become indistinguishable from the original analogue signal, especially when you consider the limits and errors of your amplifier and speakers. Most digital recordings are now done at 24-bit and even 32-bit (studio quality) which is actually far superior to any analogue recording.

Many have claimed to hear the difference and many have done a blind listening test in order to prove they were right, but 95% of them failed and the other 5% probably got lucky guessing more than 6 out of 10”
Theory apart, how will you test it out? by comparing an analog and digital rig of the same cost? same MRP? or listen to some cost-no-barred system? If so, where? I had a horrible experience in the Esoteric dealer a few years ago. He played Naim CD555 and Esoteric K-01 i think, and on Focal Stella speakers through some good amp. I nearly died of a headache, and the dealer himself shut the music down after apologizing. So set up matters also. Of course you can keep reading...

One more perspective

The problem with these guys is they go into technology. yes perhaps technically the CD could be far better than vinyl and its not a myth, its science.

Unfortunately the reality is, as i mentioned earlier, we listen to the pressing on that media and thats where most CDs suffer ie unless you look at western classical and some jazz, most CD pressings suck

And lets no even talk about indian music pressing !

In theory absolutely. BUT Jamendo.com allows you to download only inferior copies (mp3), you need to pay for losless digital. My guess is that it is same with Vinyl.

Anyone can listen to youtube but it is just a sample. Vinyl has to have a superior fiedelity to make it a viable business model and it has. Think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much of all the bits and curves of digital and analog. You can read almost every publication that claim various things. I pay less attention to this and leave it to my ears to decide which sounds better.

If you have a really good phono rig and records stamped from one of the top vinyl press facilities, I can guarantee, a record will blow almost anything digital.

There's no need to blind test. Spend 30 seconds listening to the ever popular Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition and you'll wonder what hit you. Its that good a recording and with a record, it feels as though everything opened up.

The catch with vinyl is the prohibitively high cost, to achieve that kind open sound. A cheap Rega RP1 won't do it. You need to head into 3x to 5x the cost, including your phono stage and a basic disc cleaner. There's a process involved to play music. Its at this point you start questioning, is vinyl really that much better than CD or Digital. To the keen ear and one who sits down in front of their Hi Fi and listens to music, thats going to be a YES.

Its not a format for everyone. While I do appreciate vinyl sound, I am plenty happy flipping through tracks on my You Tube Music playlist or spinning a CD. Its easier and the sound quality is close to vinyl.

My view is a very simple one - for vinyl reproduction, the dependencies are many (and often very expensive), for CD listening, it's a lot simpler and cost effective. A lot depends on personal tastes and the much-ignored factor - the genre of music listened to. For club genres like EDM/Trap/Hip-Hop/Trance/House/etc, the Metal variants of Rock Music, the many variants of Disco, etc, warm sound may not be the order of the day. On the other hand, orchestral music, spoken word, vocals etc sound great on a warm-sounding rig. Hence, I switch between these sources depending on the genre. My wife and sons listen to club music and I listen to a lot of the heavier distorted guitar centric content. All this comes mostly via digital sources like CDs and streaming. My turntable rig is used mostly to play my older crooner, instrumental, orchestration, western classical and the odd bollywood record.

Ps: I dont really worry too much about the quality of mp3 files for club music or the heavier rock genres as these are not audiophile ones anyways. Club music is often best listened to on pumped up and equalized DJ rigs and Heavy Rock genres are best enjoyed on good Arena PA rigs with a lot of decibels ;)

"Many " usually has an irrefutable point. 😀
True that.
I did a quick search online and found very few and none rigorous for publication in any journal of repute. But then my cursory search might have missed some.
I did find this though:

Here is an interesting debate between audio sceptic Arny Krueger and Stereophile editor John Atkinson on ABX testing

Stereophile The Great Debate

Another compilation from headfi

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back