Naim’s Phil Harris explains what this ‘hi-res’ content is all about.

Analogous

Naim’s Phil Harris explains what this ‘hi-res’ content is all about. I thought this a succinct and clear explanation.

Asked about the advantages of higher-resolution files, he says that ‘As the sample rate increases then so does the maximum frequency that can be reproduced. The notes may not extend to the (theoretical) 22kHz maximum of even CD reproduction, but the harmonics of notes that give music its ‘feel’ do – and well beyond too!’

‘As the bit-depth increases (from 16-bit to 24-bit), then the potential dynamic range of the recorded signal increases. With 16-bit the theoretical dynamic range is 96dB; with 24-bit that increases to 144dB.’

But not all ‘hi-res’ recordings are quite what they seem: ‘the production and mixing can involve a pass through a compressor to increase the level of quiet portions of the music and reduce the loud bits.

‘Also be aware that just because an audio file might be 24-bit/192kHz, it doesn’t mean that the source data or the source recording that was used to generate it was capable of that bandwidth or that dynamic range.

‘It’s perfectly possible to create a 24-bit/192kHz file from a 16-bit/44.1kHz ‘CD’ source, and the high-resolution file can actually sound worse than the 16-bit/44.1kHz original. So don’t get tied up in just a “bigger numbers are better” game.’

‘It’s perfectly possible to create a 24-bit/192kHz file from a 16-bit/44.1kHz ‘CD’ source, and the high-resolution file can actually sound worse than the 16-bit/44.1kHz original. So don’t get tied up in just a “bigger numbers are better” game
This is true - I was confused when I found many of my 16/44 files sounding better.

I was able to find a useful tool (see link below) to check on the files and found that some of my files were upsampled.

Most companies try to get a flat line of their speakers response between 20 to 20Khz. Even that’s hardly possible by most of the speakers. Thereoretically you need a tweeter which goes to 40Khz(not somehow, but flat or above flat) to let us hear this harmonics. And most tweeters droop their response beyond 20Khz.

There are some trained people who can tell the difference on very well designed speakers but tests show that for most people it is placebo. I cannot hear it on my speaker. But it also doesn’t have a response beyond 20Khz in a usable way.

Recording source matters
source recording = audio quality

For example, Qobuz states:
"Thanks to the hard work carried out in cooperation with recording studios as well as an increasing number of music labels (Plus Loin Music, Bee Jazz, Ambronay Editions, Zig Zag Territoires, ECM, Mirare, Aeolus, Ondine, Winter & Winter, Laborie, etc.), Qobuz now offers a rapidly-growing selection of new releases and back catalogue records in 24-bit HD quality. These albums reproduce exactly the sound from the studio recording, and offer a more comfortable listening experience that exceeds the sound quality of a CD (typically "reduced" for mastering at 44.1kHz/16-bit). "Qobuz HD" files are DRM-free and are 100% compatible with both Mac and PC. Moving away from the MP3-focused approach that has evolved over recent years at the expense of sound quality, Qobuz provides the sound calibre expected by all music lovers, allowing them to enjoy both the convenience and quality of online music."

I could NOT find album source information for other streaming sites.

Recording source matters
source recording = audio quality

For example, Qobuz states:
"Thanks to the hard work carried out in cooperation with recording studios as well as an increasing number of music labels (Plus Loin Music, Bee Jazz, Ambronay Editions, Zig Zag Territoires, ECM, Mirare, Aeolus, Ondine, Winter & Winter, Laborie, etc.), Qobuz now offers a rapidly-growing selection of new releases and back catalogue records in 24-bit HD quality. These albums reproduce exactly the sound from the studio recording, and offer a more comfortable listening experience that exceeds the sound quality of a CD (typically "reduced" for mastering at 44.1kHz/16-bit). "Qobuz HD" files are DRM-free and are 100% compatible with both Mac and PC. Moving away from the MP3-focused approach that has evolved over recent years at the expense of sound quality, Qobuz provides the sound calibre expected by all music lovers, allowing them to enjoy both the convenience and quality of online music."

I could NOT find album source information for other streaming sites.

As good as the source material is a pretty good goal to have as a service standard for streaming platforms

Last edited by a moderator:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back